Forty years from now, will the R160s ...

chrislau12

Decades from now, when the R160s nears retirement, will railfans generally remember them fondly and nostalgically, like we view the R32s now?

Or will they go with "good riddance" sentiments or just quietly in the best-case scenario, like the R44s just went?

Why do you say what you predicted?

Decades from now, when the R160s nears retirement, will railfans generally remember them fondly and nostalgically, like we view the R32s now?

Or will they go with "good riddance" sentiments or just quietly in the best-case scenario, like the R44s just went?

Trust Me they won't last over 40 years, And when they do go, I would be very happy, by the time they go, I wouldn't care.

They will be, only becuase that is the cycle of life. There were probibly people who hated the Red Birds and the B Div SMEES for replacing the Low-Vs, Standards and Triplexs.

That's because those trains had sentimental value!!!

They will be, only becuase that is the cycle of life. There were probibly people who hated the Red Birds and the B Div SMEES for replacing the Low-Vs, Standards and Triplexs.

So, In 40 years so will the 160s. Everything gains some sentimental value over time. They are not crap, they are not going to be outlived by anything on the rails today.

Best posts in this thread. I've spoken to a few veteran railfans who hated the 32s, 40s, and 42s for displacing the older cars, or for other reasons. Some train operators & conductors disliked the cars for several reasons as well, one being that the R32 didnt have any back support for the T/Os. Now railfans of all ages appreciate the cars.

The Only NTT I will Miss is The R142A's, They are the Best Ones out there and They can Outlast The R143's and R160's, The IRT Takes good care of their Cars way better than the B Divison, The R142A's Still Look Brand New.

and @ Kamen Rider, The R32's CAN OUTLAST The R160's (not in passenger service) Look How the R32's were built and look how the R160's are built, I can buy an R32 and it can last for years and years, R160's from the way they look now, only 32-36 years, maybe less, they look like garbage already.

I Find It funny that The R142A's look way better than all NTT's and they are very Reliable, Never had a Problem with them at all and they Act Just Like SMEE's, That's the Best damn thing about them.

The Only NTT I will Miss is The R142A's, They are the Best Ones out there and They can Outlast The R143's and R160's, The IRT Takes good care of their Cars way better than the B Divison, The R142A's Still Look Brand New.

I Find It funny that The R142A's look way better than all NTT's and they are very Reliable, Never had a Problem with them at all and they Act Just Like SMEE's, That's the Best damn thing about them.

Yea, and that's why they are always in the shop up at 207th Street. Very reliable....

I'll be surprised if those R160s can manage 20 years...they're already getting dead motors left and right on the E now..

The 160s will have no sentimental value, as the trains that replace them will more than likely look exactly the same as them along with every other single car in the subway fleet by the time of their retirement.

They are better than that Garbage that I take on the (F) everyday, R160's are not reliable at all, they always drop like flies.

All NTTs have problems. Also, I take the (F) every day and very rarely have problems with them.

Ok! R32 3838 , Let me make one thing clear , R160s are NOT garbage! They are one of the best things that's happened to the (F) train! When I was younger , I always enjoyed R46s being the signature car for the (F) , but I was always hoping that one day ,the(E)/(F) would get some new technology!(Especially the (E) train , I extremely hated that line back then for it's scrapheap R32s) And finally , after 14 years of hope , the brand new New Technology R160 subway car with clear automated announcements , clear lighting and more readable side LED signs and inside F.I.N.D with a screen displaying the route info as well as MTA ads for convince debuted on the (E) December 22nd 2008, And on the (F) train March 24th 2009! And ever since the (F) was set for extreme greatness in reputation and in service! And I can actually enjoy taking the (E) train now! I know the (F) was always a AWESOME line , but now it's Extremely Awesome! I don't know why people hate R160s , but they need to stop beating a dead horse and accept good change. It would be nice if some R46s came back to the (F) like half the (F)'s fleet , but R160s are AWESOME too! enough said!

And INDman , thank you for pointing that out to R32 3838! I'm sure like me you're open to good change and don't waste your time in the past!

Archived