Why I hate the m15 sbs

Dan05979

How can a bus control a traffic light and distrupt the flow of traffic in its favor. There's no such thing.

Actually there is a such thing. Just hook up a special device in the bus that sends a signal to the nearest traffic light to change it to, or keep it at green. Los Angeles has it.

Also, theres no room in this city for all this nonsense. I understand buses need to make there stops and sometimes people park at bus stops to either run to the store or make deliveries, I'm guilty of that but to loose an entire lane up and down the avenues for a bus is not working and will never work. Companies would gladly pay the $115 for a truck that makes 3-$4000 a day in deliveries. Now I see signs on those lanes reading 'bus lanes are under video surveillence'

Im sorry your parking and driving habits will be drastically altered because of SBS. At the same time, the logic that "Companies would gladly pay the $115 for a truck that makes 3-$4000 a day in deliveries" becomes moot if the city decides to raise the fine to $3-4,000 dollars which can happen under this mayor. Plus it works well on Fulton Street in Downtown Brooklyn, which is much more narrow than 1st and 2nd Avenue. Plus it's not like its a 24/7 bus only lane. Deliveries can be rescheduled, people can park on the other side of the street.

Btw, didn't anyone think that maybe the continued act of blocking bus stops might lead to the city/(MTA) taking action?

Actually there is a such thing. Just hook up a special device in the bus that sends a signal to the nearest traffic light to change it to, or keep it at green. Los Angeles has it.

Im sorry your parking and driving habits will be drastically altered because of SBS. At the same time, the logic that "Companies would gladly pay the $115 for a truck that makes 3-$4000 a day in deliveries" becomes moot if the city decides to raise the fine to $3-4,000 dollars which can happen under this mayor. Plus it works well on Fulton Street in Downtown Brooklyn, which is much more narrow than 1st and 2nd Avenue. Plus it's not like its a 24/7 bus only lane. Deliveries can be rescheduled, people can park on the other side of the street.

Btw, didn't anyone think that maybe the continued act of blocking bus stops might lead to the city/(MTA) taking action?

Ok, first I seriosely doubt the buses of new york city have a device to change traffic lights in there favor. The traffic lights in nyc are timed accordenly to move the flow of traffic. Not even an ambulance, fire truck, police car have that option.

2, Bus stop tickets are $115 for car or truck, If a company that makes $10 thousand dollars in deliveries everyday and have to meet customer needs accordenly to scheduled and appointments I know for a fact $115 dollar parking ticket will force a rescheduled delivery, when your waiting for your new couch to come and theres no parking I don't think your going to be too happy to hear they'll come back another day because they couldn't make the delivery for fear of a parking ticket, trust me I drive trucks for a living for a long time.

Also to your comment about "people can park on the other side of the street" Is a typical answer someone would give that dosen't drive to work and come home to look for parking everyday for 6 days a week would give. Do you think I would be on here bitching about this situation if I could simply drive across the street and get a spot? I just waited nearly 2 hours for a spot and I'm tired, hungry and have to be up at 1:30 am again to work 12 + hours. And its going to get worse when it snows and theres absolutly no parking. It was a poor decision on the d.ot and the city for all this nonsense so far near the end of the route to have a sbs only bus stop eat all the residence parking away. For what 3 people at the bus stop waiting to go 2 more stops befor the bus turns around?

All of Staten Island's buses have a device that control the lights in the St. George area.

So when a bus approches a red light it automaticly turns green? what happends when the next light just turned red? it turns green automaticly and cause traffic. I don't think so. I drive in all 5 boros and especially on long island and I've been next to buses and they all stop on reds and go on green when the traffic light changes on its OWN. Why do fire trucks slow down when they go thru red lights and same with police and ambulances? Wouldn't they get the priority over a bus?

Ok, first I seriosely doubt the buses of new york city have a device to change traffic lights in there favor. The traffic lights in nyc are timed accordenly to move the flow of traffic. Not even an ambulance, fire truck, police car have that option.

Buses to have this device, but it does NOT change a red light to green. The models they have for buses hold yellow lights and prevent them from changing to red until the bus has passes through the intersection.

Buses to have this device, but it does NOT change a red light to green. The models they have for buses hold yellow lights and prevent them from changing to red until the bus has passes through the intersection.

How do the buses get that privalage? So they get an advantige over everyone else driving on the road? I pass thru a yellow light and it turns red, I'm most likely to get a red light ticket or a red light camera ticket. This is a bunch of bullshit I swear. I drive a 60 ton truck all day I should have that device also because I cant stop right away like a car can. I mean c'mon lets be fair then.

I'm going by what has been stated in the news reports. Don't shoot the messenger.

Stop taking things personally, I'm just writing what I see on the road. I've never heard of this thing and now I wanna see proof of it. Yellows are supposed to change in a second or 2 to red, now everytime I see a bus going thru I'm going to be looking.

How do the buses get that privalage? So they get an advantige over everyone else driving on the road? I pass thru a yellow light and it turns red, I'm most likely to get a red light ticket or a red light camera ticket. This is a bunch of bullshit I swear. I drive a 60 ton truck all day I should have that device also because I cant stop right away like a car can. I mean c'mon lets be fair then.

It's to keep bus traffic moving, in many states school buses have these devices too. It's also a safety thing, gets the bus through an intersection without having to worry about traffic coming through the intersection. Also, if you go through a yellow light and it turns red and a red light cam does get you, you don't get a ticket since they do look at your speed and duration of the red light.

It's to keep bus traffic moving, in many states school buses have these devices too. It's also a safety thing, gets the bus through an intersection without having to worry about traffic coming through the intersection. Also, if you go through a yellow light and it turns red and a red light cam does get you, you don't get a ticket since they do look at your speed and duration of the red light.

I got caught the other day on rockaway freeway, the light was yellow and just turned red while my tractor was thru the intersection but my trailer wheels went over the square on the ground and the flash went off. and believe me I was cooking. So if I get a ticket thats bullshit then.

Ok, first I seriosely doubt the city buses of new york city have a device to change traffic lights in there favor. The traffic lights in nyc are timed accordenly to move the flow of traffic. Not even an ambulance, fire truck, police car have that option.

I dont see emergency services adding any traffic altering device to their vehicles when they're legally allowed to bypass red lights when responding to emergencies. I don't know if the (MTA) installed that on SBS buses, I'm just quoting what I know about other brt systems.

Also to your comment about "people can park on the other side of the street" Is a typical answer someone would give that dosen't drive to work and come home to look for parking everyday for 6 days a week would give. Do you think I would be on here bitching about this situation if I could simply drive across the street and get a spot? I just waited nearly 2 hours for a spot and I'm tired, hungry and have to be up at 1:30 am again to work 12 + hours. And its going to get worse when it snows and theres absolutly no parking. It was a poor decision on the d.ot and the city for all this nonsense so far near the end of the route to have a sbs only bus stop eat all the residence parking away. For what 3 people at the bus stop waiting to go 2 more stops befor the bus turns around?

That "drive across the street" comment was in reference to people and trucks parking at bus stops, as opposed to those who just need a place to park for the night. Granted, the logic of an SBS stop at 107th Street is questionable (and when it comes to unwarranted parking tickets, the city has always been crooks).

How do buses get that privelage? Simple: They perform a public service.

I got caught the other day on rockaway freeway, the light was yellow and just turned red while my tractor was thru the intersection but my trailer wheels went over the square on the ground and the flash went off. and believe me I was cooking. So if I get a ticket thats bullshit then.

If they do send you one, fight it. I know in Nassau, they review all red light cam tickets before they send them out while they don't really do that in the city.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

SBS Update

I just saw 1239 on 2 Av and 23 St wrapped up and lights flashing. They're starting to wrap all the LFSAs at 126 now

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

SBS Update

I just saw 1239 on 2 Av and 23 St wrapped up and lights flashing. They're starting to wrap all the LFSAs at 126 now

They wont be wrapping all (yay), they will need a good bit for local service, as 25 D60HFs is not enough.

Who told you this? That's the first time I'm hearing of such a thing.

They had since 2007 I think.It was during the time they were thinking about putting SBS on S 79,so I guess it was a plot test back then.Does the NG have them?I only see it on the Orion V.

They wont be wrapping all (yay), they will need a good bit for local service, as 25 D60HFs is not enough.

That's all the D60s that 126 have?

That's all the D60s that 126 have?

Yessir, West Farms took 15 of ours for their BxShitTeen(Bx15), so we are down to 2 5600s and 23 1000s. The 1000s below 1070 were either retired/scrapped or awaiting reactivation/staying in storage in Eastchester

79 street is a express bus stop and there are no sbs machines at that block or the next one, also 116st is another express stop and no sbs machines. So why put one one 107 st? not 106st. 86 st is an express stop and they have machines on the sidewalk. Who came up with this poor design? sbs should have ended at 79st in my opinion, why because after those stops there are less people at the local and express bus stops.

79 street is a express bus stop and there are no sbs machines at that block or the next one, also 116st is another express stop and no sbs machines. So why put one one 107 st? not 106st. 86 st is an express stop and they have machines on the sidewalk. Who came up with this poor design? sbs should have ended at 79st in my opinion, why because after those stops there are less people at the local and express bus stops.

They moved then to keep the +SBS people away from the regular people. Here's 2 examples. The +SBS stop on 14 St was moved up to 15 St while the local bus kept the original stop. Here's another example. The 23 St bus stop was shared by both local/limited buses between 23 & 24 Sts. Now with the +SBS, the new bus stop has been moved up to 25 St while the local kept the original stop

Archived