motorman career

TriboroughBridge

Hi, im 17 years old & i want to become an MTA motorman in the near future. i read to become an MTA motorman you will need; a high school diploma or GED, 5 year work experience or collage and not to mention passing all the tests the MTA gives you. now my question is, if i want to work for 5 years could i work as an MTA conductor for 5 years then move on to a motorman or do i have to get a job thats not MTA related?

You need 5 years combined total of either work, college or both. For work it doesn't have to be transit related. The last Conductors exam was given back in December of 2008, you might be better off getting any job to start getting job experience rather than waiting for the next conductors exam unless you wish to wait.

but the screwed up part is you gotta have the 5 years experience before you even apply!!! even though we all know the wait AFTER the exam takes years anyway, they still insist that you have the 5 years experience before the application filing period ends, meaning you'll more than likely have at least 10 years work experience before you ever take the controls.

so if you're 17 now, assuming you start working full time at age 18 next year, you wont be eligible until 2016 to even take the test. so if the next test is before 2016 you're screwed, because they only give this test once every few years (2000, 2003, then 2009 were the only 3 open competitive train operator exams)

Hi, im 17 years old & i want to become an MTA motorman in the near future. i read to become an MTA motorman you will need; a high school diploma or GED, 5 year work experience or collage and not to mention passing all the tests the MTA gives you. now my question is, if i want to work for 5 years could i work as an MTA conductor for 5 years then move on to a motorman or do i have to get a job thats not MTA related?

My advice to you, worry about college for now and when the Conductor or train operator test comes out, take it. Try to major in transportation management. Just try to get your degree and have a back up plan.....

Five years of any work experience, doesn't matter where.

IIRC, the requirements aren't as stringent for those being promoted into T/O as opposed to those being hired directly into the title. Just get your foot into the MTA door and worry about the rest later.

My advice to you, worry about college for now and when the Conductor or train operator test comes out, take it. Try to major in transportation management. Just try to get your degree and have a back up plan.....

Five years of any work experience, doesn't matter where.

IIRC, the requirements aren't as stringent for those being promoted into T/O as opposed to those being hired directly into the title. Just get your foot into the MTA door and worry about the rest later.

^^What they said. While you're at it, consider other career options....just in case!

Archived