Things That Annoy You!

BZGuy

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought it was Qu....:confused:

My mistake...I just edited my post...

on another note, another social networking pet peeve is when people like to trail the last letter of every word in their sentence...ittttt getssss veryyyy annoyinggggg andddd i hateeee ittt!:mad::mad::mad:

Next thing you know, we'll see "KW" trains powering down the "Brawdway" line

• Q ≠ QU: This is self-explanatory.

• KW ⊆ QU: If you haven't noticed, QU is only pronounced KW sometimes as in query, but not all the time as in unique—an illustration of how there is no sense in what we're doing right now.

And I would use brodwei for Broadway as it's closer to the International Phonetic Alphabet.

That's not progress. I think you stand alone on this one, and rightly so.

It is progress. I stand alone on this one because nobody else here has the facts to argue for either side. (This might be better done on a language-related forum; then I would have a more tenable response whether it's for or against what I'm arguing.)

People can't do anything anymore. They want everything handed to them. Even their language. They just complain about how everything in life is too hard.

Nobody said it was impossible to learn, but the backwards compatibility crap that's in the language is simply unnecessary. And it's not about complaining at all. The English language has always been changing; it will simplify itself if the general population pressures it that way. It's a matter of why some choose to resist it and I can't find a good reason why. Take a good look at literature from the past and tell me that it's not fruitless to prevent such a change.

Plenty of people learn the English language without the hooked on phonics bull. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for anyone else.

I'll list the some of the spelling reforms that have been going on around in this world:

It was good enough for them, so everyone else should be able to too! (except the Germans)

If you really want to continue this, it would be more appropriate to do so on a language forum as there are more people with expertise in the matter. Otherwise, it ends here and we are going back on topic…

• Q ≠ QU: This is self-explanatory.

• KW ⊆ QU: If you haven't noticed, QU is only pronounced KW sometimes as in query, but not all the time as in unique—an illustration of how there is no sense in what we're doing right now.

And I would use brodwei for Broadway as it's closer to the International Phonetic Alphabet.

It is progress. I stand alone on this one because nobody else here has the facts to argue for either side. (This might be better done on a language-related forum; then I would have a more tenable response whether it's for or against what I'm arguing.)

Nobody said it was impossible to learn, but the backwards compatibility crap that's in the language is simply unnecessary. And it's not about complaining at all. The English language has always been changing; it will simplify itself if the general population pressures it that way. It's a matter of why some choose to resist it and I can't find a good reason why. Take a good look at literature from the past and tell me that it's not fruitless to prevent such a change.

I'll list the some of the spelling reforms that have been going on around in this world:

It was good enough for them, so everyone else should be able to too! (except the Germans)

If you really want to continue this, it would be more appropriate to do so on a language forum as there are more people with expertise in the matter. Otherwise, it ends here and we are going back on topic…

Things are not "progress" just because you say they are.

Things are not "progress" just because you say they are.

Oh please. When are you going to give an objective view on the matter? Like I said. It ended. You're carrying on here with nothing but scorn and disdain for a totally legitimate topic. If you want to continue, debate it in an appropriate forum.

Oh please. When are you going to give an objective view on the matter? Like I said. It ended. You're carrying on here with nothing but scorn and disdain for a totally legitimate topic. If you want to continue, debate it in an appropriate forum.

False. You are the one that seems to be too immature to allow someone to disagree with you. Further, you are posting your opinion as if it is a fact. Someone disagrees with you. Get over it. You don't have to keep restating your position each time.

You said your piece now move on.

False. You are the one that seems to be too immature to allow someone to disagree with you. Further, you are posting your opinion as if it is a fact. Someone disagrees with you. Get over it. You don't have to keep restating your position each time.

He's actually posting examples, as opposed to you, because you just say "no, I disagree". Which brings me to my next annoyance...

He's actually posting examples, as opposed to you, because you just say "no, I disagree". Which brings me to my next annoyance...

And none of those languages are American English.

American English has modernized phrasing, but it has not tampered with spelling.

So...apples and oranges. Because irrelevant examples are not examples.

Hey here's a pet peeve. People who post their opinions as if they are facts.

I usually don't say this, but look who's talking.

That's not progress. I think you stand alone on this one, and rightly so.

People can't do anything anymore. They want everything handed to them. Even their language. They just complain about how everything in life is too hard. Plenty of people learn the English language without the hooked on phonics bull. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for anyone else.

And none of those languages are American English.

American English has modernized phrasing, but it has not tampered with spelling.

So...apples and oranges. Because irrelevant examples are not examples.

I usually don't say this, but look who's talking.

I never said it was a fact. I posted my opinion, and both you and CenSin seem to have gotten your panties in a bunch because you can't handle someone disagreeing with you.

26 letters have worked for a long time in the alphabet. If you two want to spell like illiterate swine, all I ask is that you don't drag the rest of society down with you.

What's so hard to understand about that? It's not like I'm in charge of the English language after all and have final cut on all the bullshit proposed in this thread.

I never said it was a fact.

Neither did either of us.

26 letters have worked for a long time in the alphabet. If you two want to spell like illiterate swine, all I ask is that you don't drag the rest of society down with you.

It's just a matter of practicality and ease of learning the English language. For example, the letter o has 6 different pronunciations, which is illogical and useless IMO.

What's so hard to understand about that? It's not like I'm in charge of the English language after all and have final cut on all the bullshit proposed in this thread.

Who ever said that they were in charge of anything?

Neither did either of us.

It's just a matter of practicality and ease of learning the English language. For example, the letter o has 6 different pronunciations, which is illogical and useless IMO.

But it's the language. That's the way it has been for 234 years. You are talking about changing one of the foundations of this language.

Trends in the American English language should be determined for American English speakers. Not for foreigners. I don't see the Japanese removing symbols from their language because it will make vocabulary less overwhelming for people trying to learn it.

Apparently American culture gets no respect around here and it's sickening. Our history is thrown to the side so we can be "more like Europe" or "more like Asia." There's a reason we founded this country. To get the hell out of their customs and their influence.

People don't learn their history. Literally every one of the reasons this country was founded is being questioned in the present day. Including separation of church and state (thank you Christine O'Donnell you moron). And that includes the English language. Everything in this country is in Spanish and Chinese just because those people come here, to an English speaking country, and feel it is not necessary for them to learn the language. Look at how many people live in this country who literally speak NO English.

And not only are they so lazy to not learn our language, they complain it's hard. And most sickening of all, Americans agree with them and want to change our language, dumb it down, and bastardize and ruin 234 years of our own history just to accomodate foreigners. Sorry, but "I don't play that." Political correctness will be the downfall of this country, and those who say it has been already are not wrong either.

But it's the language. That's the way it has been for 234 years. You are talking about changing one of the foundations of this language.

It's been done, and with languages many times as old as American English.

Trends in the American English language should be determined for American English speakers. Not for foreigners.

IMO, it is only the reluctance to change that is preventing the switch. There is nothing so special about the current, unstandardized English language.

Anyway..........back on topic.

I am annoyed by foamers.

It's been done, and with languages many times as old as American English.

IMO, it is only the reluctance to change that is preventing the switch. There is nothing so special about the current, unstandardized English language.

Anyway..........back on topic.

I am annoyed by foamers.

Well...

...That I can agree with you on (the bolded part).

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

My turn....

1. People that like to piss me off

2. People that call/text me "just because they're bored"

3. Justin Bieber

4. Twilight

5. JONATHAN RUIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Harry Potter

7. People who take up the whole sidewalk and walk super slow

8. Tourists

9. Parents who get those little leashes for their children

10. Tourists

11. Tourists

12. Most customers at my job

13. Tourists

14. Jamaica (country)

15. Jamaica (Queens)

16. 2 of my ex-girlfriends

17. Tourists

18. Pigeons

19. Nicki Minaj

20 anyone who wants to be like Nicki Minaj

21. People who use the letter q as a g

22. People who use a 3 as an e

23. People who use uppercase and lowercase letters in the same sentence (LiKe ThIs)

24. People who use double letters an words that don't need them (liike thiss I hatee iit so damnn baad)

25. Manhattan

26. Liars

27. Degrassi

28. Steve Wilkos Show

29. The N (channel)

30. Disney Channel

31. Evveryone on the Disney Channel

32. The (6) train

33. The M16

34. The M15

35. (MTA) in general

36. People who go ape shit over a subway car (mainy the R32)

37. The R32 itself...KICK THE BUCKET ALREADY :mad::o

38. Anyone who thinks Tosh.0 is a funny show

39. Gristedes (yet I work for those cheap bastards lol)

40. Anyone who likes Edward from Twilight (VAMPIRES AIN'T SUPPOSED TO SPARKLE DAMMIT!!!

41. People who add me on facebook just cuz they have a mutual friend

42. People who tage me in photos on facebook where I have nothing to do with at all.

43. People who call me before 7 PM

44. Girls who yell when they talk and act all obnoxious (I call them birds)

45. Dudes who sag their jeans

46. Dudes who wear skinny jeans

47. People who play Farmville on facebook

48. People who like Farmville

49. People who can't take a joke

50. Girls who dress like dudes

I have a whole lot more but I'll just leave it at this

IDK about 19, 28, 21 NIKKI MINAJ RULES qood mon3y baby

Trends in the American English language should be determined for American English speakers. Not for foreigners. I don't see the Japanese removing symbols from their language because it will make vocabulary less overwhelming for people trying to learn it.

Apparently American culture gets no respect around here and it's sickening. Our history is thrown to the side so we can be "more like Europe" or "more like Asia." There's a reason we founded this country. To get the hell out of their customs and their influence.

People don't learn their history. Literally every one of the reasons this country was founded is being questioned in the present day. Including separation of church and state (thank you Christine O'Donnell you moron). And that includes the English language. Everything in this country is in Spanish and Chinese just because those people come here, to an English speaking country, and feel it is not necessary for them to learn the language. Look at how many people live in this country who literally speak NO English.

And not only are they so lazy to not learn our language, they complain it's hard. And most sickening of all, Americans agree with them and want to change our language, dumb it down, and bastardize and ruin 234 years of our own history just to accomodate foreigners. Sorry, but "I don't play that." Political correctness will be the downfall of this country, and those who say it has been already are not wrong either.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just want to comment on this also. I see where you are coming from CenSin, but this is America. Changing the foundation of a language after 234 years is a recipe for disaster. Now IMHO, English has to be one of the stupidest languages ever created. Constant contradiction, and exceptions to rules. My mother was an English major, and I absolutely hated it! And to SubwayGuy, IIRC English is the second or third hardest language to learn in the world. I can attest to this because I was an English, and Spanish tutor. For a native Spanish speaker, learning English can be a daunting task. I don't do it anymore because I don't have enough patience. And because I speak, read, and write Spanish, my English spelling skills have decreased over the years. I want to spell everything like it sounds, which is one of the reasons some people give up on English. It literally makes no sense at all!