Things That Annoy You!

BZGuy

Speaking of that here is the new R160Bs. It looks very nice. Practically even better then what the (MTA) ordered. I see these as good replacements for the R32 and R42 cars. Now that's what I'm talking about.

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?113464

HA! Yeah Dave does occasionally make mistakes on that site when people send him pictures. He's a busy guy though so it's understandable, and people send him pictures all the time.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of that here is the new R160Bs. It looks very nice. Practically even better then what the (MTA) ordered. I see these as good replacements for the R32 and R42 cars. Now that's what I'm talking about.

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?113464

Ok.... As you all know, I'm still learning about subway stuff everyday of the week..... But I'm confused. Satire I'm assuming? Somebody fill me in please... SubwayGuy????

Ok.... As you all know, I'm still learning about subway stuff everyday of the week..... But I'm confused. Satire I'm assuming? Somebody fill me in please...

It's an error...car 8083 was also an R27 car but Dave listed it as an R160B. He's human, and as a human, he (as well as the rest of us) make mistakes.

Not only that, but of all the things to go ape-shit over. I mean, come on, NTTs are so bland and cookie-cutter. If you're going to foam over something, foam over something interesting, like pre-war cars or early pre-GOH SMEEs (even I can appreciate those and I don't really like post-war cars.)

The pre-war equipment running in the various transit systems of NYC, from a railfans' perspective, was far more interesting than the repetitive stainless steel cans rolling around the system today. From the consists lashed up as trains to the individual cars, each one was truly unique.

That's extremely true. Especially the old IRT cars, if you look at them they all look the same (except the '38 WF cars), but each one of them had its own unique differences. In many cases, what's even more interesting than just being able to pick out the differences is being able to know WHY those differences exist, what was the rationale, and did it work? And then you have the benefit of 20/20 historical hindsight to look back on those cars and see which of those ideas stood the test of time.

I enjoy all of the prewar stuff, particularly the IRT, BMT, and IND steel equipment. It's nothing against the el cars, I think they make for a great ride and I would have loved to ride a convertible el car in NYC in the 50's, but between 1900 and 1940 there were so many advances in steel subway car design. That's where it's at for me. The BMT cars are very interesting because of all the innovations each introduced. They were building 5 car sets 65 years before the NTT's. They were trying cab signalling in the 1910's, well before "CBTC" was even thought of. And the advances in body and truck construction they started are very interesting to look at too.

It's also interesting to look at the advances in propulsion, braking, and coupling on ALL the cars during that time. That's why I always say on here that there's a lot that can be discussed other than fantasy maps and car moves but few ever get into this stuff and this is where things get really interesting.

Since SubwayGuy mentioned it I might as well add CBTC to my list. The biggest load of money ever wasted by the MTA, and they're going to waste even more when they decide to implement it on the (7).

Hell, ATO has been offline for a week or so now. It truly is a massive waste of money, but those in charge turn a blind eye its many problems and they think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm going to add Suits to my list. They have NO CLUE about anything and yet are determined to have things go their way. Those who report to them always tell them it won't work, they force "improvements" (like CBTC) through, then when it doesn't work they (the Suits) blame the people working underneath them.

It's enough to make your blood boil.

The heads of organizations don't even know what the organizations do or how they work. They screw things up and make the most money regardless. No money for service, no money for employees, but lots of money for new technology that doesn't even work. Latest I've heard is work either is or will soon begin to make Queens Blvd CBTC convertible someday down the road.

That one will truly be a disaster whenever they try and do that.

Hell, ATO has been offline for a week or so now. It truly is a massive waste of money, but those in charge turn a blind eye its many problems and they think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I couldn't believe it when I overheard someone say that CBTC was the sole solution to improving subway service systemwide.

Edited by LRG

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

People who think left-handed people are weird. That was a killer for me in high school, espically in art class. The teacher always sat me on the wrong side of the table and I would always bump into the person next to me while drawing

The NJT NABIs. Man I had one on the 313 borrowed from Washington TWP and tha automated annoucements is a pain in the ass. Try dealing with it for almost 3hrs. This is all I heard.

Route 313 Cape May-Rio Grande Welcome aboard new jersey transit

Then it says every damn street

And i hate hearing crying babies on planes and in movie theaters.

The most annoying is the automated telephone systems. I just want to talk to a damn person not a computer.

The NJT NABIs. Man I had one on the 313 borrowed from Washington TWP and tha automated annoucements is a pain in the ass. Try dealing with it for almost 3hrs. This is all I heard. Route 313 Cape May-Rio Grande Welcome aboard new jersey transit

Then it says every damn street

wtf!? I thought the 313 was a mostly MCI route.

The most annoying is the automated telephone systems. I just want to talk to a damn person not a computer.

Oh they drive me nuts! And they piss my mom she tends to call these robots names and they're like "oh I didn't catch that" and they repeat the 7-minute long menu that they started!:P

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

People who think left-handed people are weird. That was a killer for me in high school, espically in art class. The teacher always sat me on the wrong side of the table and I would always bump into the person next to me while drawing

Pretty much doing anything as a lefty that was designed with righties in mind is f**kING annoying...

Pretty much doing anything as a lefty that was designed with righties in mind is f**kING annoying...

Us lefties should oerthrow society lol. We got Oprah and she can pretty much rule a small country if she wanted to :P

Us lefties should oerthrow society lol. We got Oprah and she can pretty much rule a small country if she wanted to :P

Hell, she can damn near run this one! You know how many Repubicans voted for Obama because of her???

Hell, she can damn near run this one! You know how many Repubicans voted for Obama because of her???

Lol screw it, have her overthrow society then

I'll let you in on a secret. When they prompt you to hit a number, hit absolutely nothing, no matter how many times they repeat the menu. They'll never hang up on you because that would look bad. Instead they'll think you're a retard and put a person on to see what the hell you want. Problem solved - you got a person on the other end of the line.

+1 on the lefty stuff..

And I bet you if she ran, she would probably win.

LMAO!

I'll let you in on a secret. When they prompt you to hit a number, hit absolutely nothing, no matter how many times they repeat the menu. They'll never hang up on you because that would look bad. Instead they'll think you're a retard and put a person on to see what the hell you want. Problem solved - you got a person on the other end of the line.

+1 on the lefty stuff..

And I bet you if she ran, she would probably win.

Hit 0!!! That always does it for me! And if that doesn't do it, follow SubwayGuy's instructions and hit nothing. But sometimes that doesn't work either, and they will hang up on you.