Manhattan/General Bus Ideas

Mysterious2train

I don't know if a thread like this exists, I saw one for the other boroughs, but I wanted to make it anyway. I have a few ideas to get the ball rolling.

- 125th St needs a bus - only lane like yesterday [like Shortline Bus would put it :(] The vast amount of traffic is a killer. For example, just the traffic going to and from the Triborough Bridge...

I recommend a curbside bus lane from about Amsterdam Av to 2nd Av [the section with the most buses], similar to the one on 34th St. Just in effect during AM and PM Rush Hour or maybe all day weekdays from 7 AM - 7 PM. I think the pros would outweigh the cons.

Feel free to offer up some ideas, I guess...

Not a BRT corridor, dedicated bus lane.

Thank you for correction.

I even don't think Bus Lane will not work when it is not enforce.

For example, westbound Northern Blvd turning left to southbound Main St is Bus Lane, but some driver doesn't understand that concept of bus lane and making illegal left turn. I even think dedicated bus lane on 5th & Mad Avs will not work when it not enforce.

Bus lanes only at best move the problem and/or make it worse. Face it, the traffic is not going to go away so long as the Triboro bridge is there. And since that's not going anywhere, the traffic isn't ether.

Fine. But I can't help but think there's something that can be done to help speed things along. In fact, there are several problems, arguably:

Crowding: Even with buses not that far apart, M101 buses can still get crowded very easily, especially once they hit 125th St. Just today, people sneaked through the back door at several stops on 125th St. And the trip down 125St probably would have been even slower had they paid legitimately.

Traffic: I think I've made my point. All over the place, but I think the single worse stretch around 125th St would have to be between Park Av and 2 Av.

Not anytime soon of course, what with the M15 and all, but I believe the M101 could be a serious contender for some type of BRT.

Never thought of that... I guess it's possible to reroute the buses on less crowded streets, but it might be messy. And I'm sure some anti-NIMBYs would complain, even if the buses benefit.

I had some other ideas:

- Bx33 Extension

The Bx33 is an okay route as it is, but because of St. Nicholas Park the line ends abruptly at St. Nicholas Av. I would extend it to Riverside Park.

Routing:

135th St -> St. Nicholas Av -> 141st St -> Amsterdam Av ->

Two options:

Amsterdam Av (North) -> 145th St -> Riverside Park

or

Amsterdam Av (South) -> 135th St -> Riverside Drive and ends at 138th St.

Pros:

[better] access to City College as well as Riverside Park

Access/transfers at Broadway & Amsterdam Av

Alternative to the Bx15 and 19.

A good transfer to the (6) at 3 Av - 138 St

I know ridership wouldn't jump up overnight, but I think it's worth considering.

Sounds good. :tup:

Plus, it would make it easier for people traveling from the South Bronx to Upper Manhattan and Marble Hill/Kingsbridge/Riverdale (they just transfer to the (1) train or a local bus).

I think the 145th Street alignment is better (in wich case it could go straight up St. Nicholas Avenue instead of turning onto 141st Street. That way, it parallels the (Bx19) for a few blocks and connects with the express trains at 145th Street/St.Nicholas Avenue.

Out of the crosstown routes between 125th and 145th St, I'd say the Bx33 has the potential to the be the fastest since it's probably slightly less prone to delays. Extending the line over St. Nich. Park opens up new transfers, like I said before. People in the Heart of Hamilton Heights can get over to the Bronx without trekking to the Bx15 or 19. Let's say someone from PBP or Co-op City is going to Hamilton Heights, just an example [i They can take the the (6) to 3 Av - 138 St. I'm sure that beats going to E 149th St for the 19. And new ridership from this extension really wouldn't hurt. Although I know some people would ask if an extension was worth the money.

Something from Google Maps. I was inspired by another poster who did something about Staten Island; using placeholders at bus stops. I had trouble drawing a line [but only for the Bx33 - I think it's illegal to draw a line straight down 135th St from Madison Av to St. Nicholas Av]

I'd also rather have the Bx33 just continue down 135th St from Amsterdam Av. Although there is merit to extending the line to 145th St, I'd rather just leave that to the Bx19.

1.) x90 renamed M90 and run at Peak times only (6-10am/3-7pm) run out of MJQ.

2.)Artics on all crosstown lines at peak times with the M42 possibly becoming a full time Artic line

3.) Express bus service from Midtown Manhatten to LGA and JFK. I know NYBS runs service but at $5.50 we might pack these buses. New routes.... QM30 (to LGA) and QM31 (to JFK). Pick up on the downtown loop and then northbound to 59th St bridge via 3rd Av (stop @ Grand Central). Split between LGA and JFK. If LGA can't keep the MCIs running then maybe given to Stengal or CP.

4.) M6 reinstated to help M5...no local run should have a run time of 2 hours in one direction.

thats it for now

M60 need to remain as it is.

Before the changes and fare hike, one of B/O who knew from other routes.

When there was 94th St exit close, and (MTA) Bus Dispatcher ask (MTA) Bus to follow the reroute and bus was late, so B/O made announcement when arriving Lot #1

"Everyone, who is in hurry to catch your flight for American Airline, Spirit, Jet Blue, etc., get off here and cross to Central Terminal/American Airline."

After that, he stop at each terminals in Central Terminal.

Another time, most B/O announce "Parking Lot #1" as "American Airline".

I've always wondered how the M60 got to LGA before flights took off, having to fight through the RFK Bridge and crowding along the route.

I think it did happen once when I was on M60.

There was lady who wanted to catch her flight and M60 was delay in traffic of NY Yankees headacef and rush hour traffic on RFK Bridge.

I think it did happen once when I was on M60.

There was lady who wanted to catch her flight and M60 was delay in traffic of NY Yankees headacef and rush hour traffic on RFK Bridge.

Thats why people should arrive at the airport 90 minutes early. So even if your bus is delayed, you won't have to worry. I have caught the Q33 to LGA a couple times, and it was crush loaded, as well as late both times. But I gave myself enough room to work with so I wouldn't have to worry about missing my flight.

Out of the crosstown routes between 125th and 145th St, I'd say the Bx33 has the potential to the be the fastest since it's probably slightly less prone to delays. Extending the line over St. Nich. Park opens up new transfers, like I said before. People in the Heart of Hamilton Heights can get over to the Bronx without trekking to the Bx15 or 19. Let's say someone from PBP or Co-op City is going to Hamilton Heights, just an example [i They can take the the (6) to 3 Av - 138 St. I'm sure that beats going to E 149th St for the 19. And new ridership from this extension really wouldn't hurt. Although I know some people would ask if an extension was worth the money.

Something from Google Maps. I was inspired by another poster who did something about Staten Island; using placeholders at bus stops. I had trouble drawing a line [but only for the Bx33 - I think it's illegal to draw a line straight down 135th St from Madison Av to St. Nicholas Av]

I'd also rather have the Bx33 just continue down 135th St from Amsterdam Av. Although there is merit to extending the line to 145th St, I'd rather just leave that to the Bx19.

I think you are referring to my proposed Staten Island Rail Map. I think that it gives you the option of drawing a line or a line along roads. Try drawing a straight line and then clicking on the little squares to bend the route.

Archived