Manhattan/General Bus Ideas

Mysterious2train

It Makes sense for OHS to House 40FT why not a swap with 126.

126- M15, M15SBS, M35, M101-103, M116

OHS- M31, M66, M72, M79, M86, M96, M106

126 Is More Flexible then OHS because All the Routes run on 125 Expect the M116. U can cut down run time on The Routes past 59th Street that have long deadhead From MJQ & MV.

126th wouldnt have enough space to house all those artics. The M79 doesnt really have a long deadhead, it interlines with other routes out of Quill so its not that bad at all, also for the fact that some trips that end on the west side deadhead to the depot via the West Side Highway.

The M96 and 106 would be perfect for 100th Street only if they were to store 40ft buses. The M66/72 should go to Quill, that would enable those routes to interline with the M57, M50, M42 and so on.

Disagree... for a few reasons..

The MTA was right in cutting the Q24 to Broadway junction.... north/west of that point, virtually nobody took that route... and two, the route is already long & drawn out - and worse than that, it's quite common to see buses snailing/crawling along Atlantic av....

I don't think there's needs to be another bus route between broadway & wilson av.... that part of broadway with which the Q24 was discontinued from, is dead... having buses run one block north wouldn't accomplish much, if anything...

There were a fair amount of people that took the B13 b/w williamsburg & ridgewood before it was truncated... Ridgewood being the operative term/neighborhood... There's no other bus that does that now.... Whereas people are taking (from what I notice, in subtly increasing numbers) the 60 to the 20 to b'way junction...

{To be honest, now that you bring this idea up, it really didn't dawn on me as to why I see (more than 5 ppl... lol) waiting at broadway junction for the NB B20 - you almost never see anyone waiting across the street for a NB B20... anyone that frequents b'way junction far more than I do, will tell you this... all the "action" so to speak, is on the same side of the subway entrance, which all the other routes picks up people at...}

My point?

I have two of them:

1) What you're suggesting wouldn't facilitate as many riders as you'd think... people in that area would simply walk to the subway, or find their way to the B60, and xfer off that, to w/e other bus they need... Instead of what you're suggesting, more buses need to be put on the B60 - Bushwick riders have been getting screwed for years w/ the subpar, unreliable service on that route!

2) you would either have to find another route to want to extend up there, or think of creating a new one... b/c sending the Q24 to williamsburg is the worst choice (of any bus out of b'way junction) to want to extend up there, given what I've stated throughout this post...

How about the B83 being extended via that route, since it is the shortest route that terminates at Broadway Junction?

By the way, I found this website with some proposals for service in Brooklyn that are intended to create better routings for buses in Brooklyn. (For what it is worth, they were created by somebody who has worked for Operations Planning for a short period of time): http://brooklynbus.tripod.com/. He has a map of the system here: http://brooklynbus.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/proposed_system.gif)

You may notice a couple of routes that have been eliminated are on the map, as this was created prior to the service reductions.

I just have a couple of comments about the routes (NOTE: I'm using the numbers he used for his proposals):

-The B2 should be the route to go along 65th Street to Bay Ridge, not the B1.

-The B1 should run the same exact route as the B100 west of Flatbush Avenue.

-The B100 should be extended to the Ceasar's Bay Shopping Center, not the B2.

-The B22 could be replaced by an extended B5. I can't really see demand for service from Bay Ridge to JFK Airport.

To hell with the horse, I'd be beatin the skeleton if I commented anymore on that man's ideas....

All I'm fin to say is that, those are Brooklyn Bus' proposals...

yes, the Brooklyn Bus that's a member on this board.

How about the B83 being extended via that route, since it is the shortest route that terminates at Broadway Junction?

Not saying I agree with it, but it would make more sense sending that up there, over the Q24....

I still don't see where the influx of riders would come from, but I already addressed/assessed that...

I think that instead of terminating at Sanford Ave. in Flushing, the Q58 should be extended up 3 blocks along College Pt. Blvd. to Roosevelt Ave., then turn and terminate at Main St. like the Q19/48/50/66 currently do. It would use Main St. and 39th Ave. to turn back around to College Pt. Blvd. just like the other Flushing buses do. The Q58 is one of the most out-of-place bus routes in Flushing because of its bus stop location. Moving it to serve College Pt. Blvd. and Roosevelt Ave. would also give riders access to the new mall that opened up there (with Old Navy, BJ's, Best Buy, etc.).

I have an idea for the Q37.

It could be extended along North/South Conduit Avenue and end at either the Rosedale station on the Long Island Railroad or at the Green Acres Mall.

Also, I think that if the Q26 were combined with the Q19, I think that that might improve the ridership on the eastern portion of the route.

the Q58 running closer to the train station, we all agree with.... that's been unanimous a conclusion out of all the debates/discussions I've ever read, or gotten involved in, regarding bus route alterations....

It could be extended along North/South Conduit Avenue and end at either the Rosedale station on the Long Island Railroad or at the Green Acres Mall.

Also, I think that if the Q26 were combined with the Q19, I think that that might improve the ridership on the eastern portion of the route.

- As much as I dislike the idea of people mentioning the Q7 being extended to green acres, that'd make more sense than sending the Q37... at least the Q7 would (still) be an east-west route...

but I do think the Q37, Q9, and Q10 should be altered somehow, down there in S. Ozone park, and points south....

- idk bro, there's nothing else you can really do w/ the Q19...

Furthermore, you'd be combining two poor headway routes.. the 26 does serve as a supplement/back-up plan to the 27 when they're all crammed up... you don't want to mar that for those riders out there, especially w/ the load that the 27 gets...

I think the (Q37) should stay where it is. It's funny because members want the (Q7) extended to Green Acres. This is what I would do:

Q7- extended westward to the Brooklyn PO

Q9- extended southward to the Conduits. This would eliminate the Q10 Conduit branch

Q112- extended westward down Liberty to Euclid Av Station

I would create a new route to serve Green Acres. It can serve the Conduits linking SE Queens and SW Queens for the first time. Its western terminal can be Rockaway Blvd on the (A).

As for your Q26/19 merger, I wouldn't do that . A lot people want the Q19 merged with the Q103. The Q26 can be merged with the Q20B

I think the (Q37) should stay where it is. It's funny because members want the (Q7) extended to Green Acres. This is what I would do:

Q9- extended southward to the Conduits. This would eliminate the Q10 Conduit branch

I would create a new route to serve Green Acres. It can serve the Conduits linking SE Queens and SW Queens for the first time. Its western terminal can be Rockaway Blvd on the (A).

As for your Q26/19 merger, I wouldn't do that . A lot people want the Q19 merged with the Q103. The Q26 can be merged with the Q20B

Extending the Q112 to Euclid would not work all that well, only because it would be parallel with the Q8. The Q9 to the Conduits? Good luck with that. The Q7 already has terrible headways, lets not make it any worse extending it to Green Acres is completely pointless.

Extending the Q112 to Euclid would not work all that well, only because it would be parallel with the Q8. The Q9 to the Conduits? Good luck with that. The Q7 already has terrible headways, lets not make it any worse extending it to Green Acres is completely pointless.

Did you read my post? I said I was against the (Q7) going to Green Acres.

The sad thing is, if you take the Q7 out of JFK, what do you have serving the cargo area?

For the purpose of answering this question...

Riders may not like it, but the Q3 itself is probably the best bet....

one upside (it's the only one I can think of right now, to be honest) is, at least it would eliminate a foolish xfer scenario that exists b/w the two routes....

You could possibly extend the Q40 to the Cargo Area.

off the top of my head, the streets run funny around that hotel where the Q40 terminates.... that's all residences out there....

Wouldn't be worth the extensive, convoluted diversion....

unless, (as was brought up by Q43) you want to screw those riders south of Rockaway & divert the 40 to the cargo area... just for the sake of sending the Q7 to green acres.... nah bro

I would create a new route to serve Green Acres. It can serve the Conduits linking SE Queens and SW Queens for the first time. Its western terminal can be Rockaway Blvd on the .

idk what to do w/ the 103... but merging it w/ the 19 aint it.... I've never heard that one before....

anyway:

- the q7... are you talking about the postal facility? that would be an extension southbound....

- I'm not aiding the MTA in giving them a reason to kill off anymore routes... a 112 extension to euclid would parallel a nice lil chunk of the subway there.... despite that, I've always been against that idea anyway... not sure how many more riders you're gonna attract west of where the Q112 lets you off at (which is a decent walk away from the subway entrance itself; Rockaway blvd, I mean).....

- The Q9, I agree with... and for all I care, it can be sent to (and end at) Lefferts blvd AIRtrain via bergen rd & pan am rd.... As for the Q10, it can remain serving lefferts AIRtrain sta (via lefferts blvd), en route to terminal 4....

...and the short turn Q10 can use N/S conduit blvd's coming off lefferts blvd to end at 131st/150th

idk what to do w/ the 103... but merging it w/ the 19 ain't it.... I've never heard that one before.... Somebody from another forum suggested that the (Q19) and (Q103) be merged. I don't know what to do with the Q103 either. I don't think there's a huge demand for a Flushing/Hunters Pt route. The Q19 is a nice alternative for riders who don't wanna take the Q66 or the (7) train

anyway:

- the q7... are you talking about the postal facility? that would be an extension southbound.... Yes, that's what I meant

- I'm not aiding the MTA in giving them a reason to kill off anymore routes... a 112 extension to euclid would parallel a nice lil chunk of the subway there.... despite that, I've always been against that idea anyway... not sure how many more riders you're gonna attract west of where the Q112 lets you off at (which is a decent walk away from the subway entrance itself; Rockaway blvd, I mean)..... Probably the wheelchair passengers since the stations on the (A) aren't ADA-compliant

- The Q9, I agree with... and for all I care, it can be sent to (and end at) Lefferts blvd AIRtrain via bergen rd & pan am rd.... As for the Q10, it can remain serving lefferts AIRtrain sta (via lefferts blvd), en route to terminal 4....

...and the short turn Q10 can use N/S conduit blvd's coming off lefferts blvd to end at 131st/150th

Replies in red

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how much ridership the M60 gets from passengers going between Manhattan and points along Astoria Blvd, but I think the Q19 could be extended to the Lexington Avenue/125th Street station to help ease the crowding on the M60.

As far as the Q103 goes, maybe the Q67 can cover the northern portion of the route. It can run via Queens Plaza North/South-21st Street-41st Avenue-Vernon Blvd. I don't know what to do with the southern portion.

I didn't want to create a separate thread for this. I rode the M15 SBS from 57 Street to 116 Street. It has been a long time since I had an enjoyable ride on a non-express bus. Although it wasn't as fast as the subway, SBS was noticably quicker than the former M15 Limited. The 3 door configuration really helped. The Nova LFSA has a nice and smooth ride. Kudos to the MTA (never thought I'd say that) for implementing SBS on the M15. Now, if only the Q46 was SBS.

I don't know how much ridership the M60 gets from passengers going between Manhattan and points along Astoria Blvd, but I think the Q19 could be extended to the Lexington Avenue/125th Street station to help ease the crowding on the M60.

As far as the Q103 goes, maybe the Q67 can cover the northern portion of the route. It can run via Queens Plaza North/South-21st Street-41st Avenue-Vernon Blvd. I don't know what to do with the southern portion.

Would be easier if they could get the unions to agree to changes I don't think you'll be able to get the Q19 extended.

Also why does the M60 go all the way to the West side?

Wouldn't it be better if it were to start from Park Av and let the Bx15, M100/101 pick up riders along 125th to the M60?

Would be easier if they could get the unions to agree to changes I don't think you'll be able to get the Q19 extended.

Wouldn't it be better if it were to start from Park Av and let the Bx15, M100/101 pick up riders along 125th to the M60?

The M60 actually gets a nice amount of ridership between 125th St and 106th St. If you removed it, you'd need a new route to fill in. The BX15 I guess could work, but the M60 already gives a 1-seat ride to LaGuardia anyway, why not just leave it as is?

Although it does serve the airport, the M60 is also an important/vital link in taking students back/forth from the 125th st subways, to Columbia... Don't underestimate its ridership on the UWS, by any means.... and #2, the bulk of M60 ridership on the west side emanates from the 116th st station on the (1); why 116th, you ask... b/c LGA bound:

a- you have a better chance at a seat

b- the M60 doesn't serve 125th on the 1, due to it serving the projects on Amsterdam/123rd I think that is... and even if it did, the height of the station becomes an issue; especially w/ ppl. carrying heavy baggage & what not... and...

c- you avoid the 125th st crowd (street level, I mean), period

(the shoppers, the ppl. waiting for other bus routes, etc)...

....to give a brooklyn based example of this, somewhat...

it's like B41 riders in downtown brooklyn opting to take the bus to the junction (or past it), instead of taking the (2) to the same bus... and it's more common than a lot of ppl. think... Figure, instead of waiting on line for a B41, you avoid waiting with the B103 (and the Q35) crowd....

...and if you start the M60 from Park av (layover issues aside):

1] You WILL have locals (as in people) screaming class bias....

2] You're neglecting riders south of 125th st, by saying let the Bx15 & the M100/101 pick up riders along 125th...

3] (the more important of the 3)

You'll indirectly be forcing MORE riders onto the Lex - somethin we don't need right now...

Archived