Emoployment with MABSTOA

jdknr05

Once you get out of training and driving on your own, you will be "2nd shift" more than likely.. And more than likely on the "extra list" which means you have set days off, for the pick, but can be scheduled for anytime on any day. When I was an extra, during the week I pretty much worked anywhere between 3-5pm start, 11-1a finish. Little earlier on the weekends.

When I got to pick, I did 2-10/3-11 during the week, 5-1am on the weekends..

From what I was told by other drivers, you wont see an early shift for over 10yrs. You wont see an early shift with weekends off for over 15yrs.. You can get PM work with weekends off with like 7-10yrs in..

But, I was at Ulmer Park which is a high seniority TA depot, but I was mabstoa. I'm sure it differs depending on where you work, but I doubt it will differ by much. If you want early work, don't work for the TA b/c you won't see it for a long time.

Good Luck.

I thought the extra list people go in at the same time every day and have set hours. Now what happens if there are no open runs? what does the B/O do at the depot? watch tv, work out, read the paper. More then likely there are others on the extra list as well. I guess everybody in the depot has a rank # regarding their seniority.

nyone know if MABSTOA would have the new guys do night shifts and if so how long does it take to get to the day shifts? Thanks. I'm planning to take the 3003 test for Bus Operator. (soon to retire NYC Detective)

You do know that exam 3003 was and is still postponed. It could be awhile before they decide to give it.

I thought the extra list people go in at the same time every day and have set hours. Now what happens if there are no open runs? what does the B/O do at the depot? watch tv, work out, read the paper. More then likely there are others on the extra list as well. I guess everybody in the depot has a rank # regarding their seniority.

Nope. Extra list has a different report everyday. You get your report the day b4.

If at the time of scheduling, there is nothing open, you just go and "report" or show up. Most of the time, by then, there will be an open run and they will give it to you. Only twice did they not have an open run when I showed up on "report". The first time, I sat around for a few hours, then they had me do various things around the depot.. One was help the Crew Dispatcher sort out some paperwork. Then went back to sitting around. Then they had me help pull in buses to the fueling station b/c there was a long pull-in line outside.

The 2nd time, I sat around for like 4hours, then got an 8hr run so I got some OT.

That's basically how it goes.

From what I was told by other drivers, you wont see an early shift for over 10yrs. You wont see an early shift with weekends off for over 15yrs.. You can get PM work with weekends off with like 7-10yrs in...

Of course there are ways to circumvent this by picking tricks such as Extra List (job changes every day but your shift is fixed) or Vacation Relief (flexible days off, shift, line, etc. all based on weekly bids that you submit). This way an employee can give up time and assignment stability in order to get either a fixed shift, occasional weekends off, and/or try to avoid getting locked into workhorse assignments. This is what I did when I was new and it worked perfectly for me.

Once you get out of training and driving on your own, you will be "2nd shift" more than likely.. And more than likely on the "extra list" which means you have set days off, for the pick, but can be scheduled for anytime on any day.

That's Road Extra. RX is when you do not have the seniority to pick a job and your days off/shift are assigned to you. Extra List (XL) is when you stay extra, but you can lock in your shift and days off.

Yup, forgot about "Vacation Relief".. Probably b/c I never got to pick it.. lol

I never knew/understood the deal "tricks" and how that works.. Saw it on the pick board, but again, was all gone by the time I got to pick..

With buses, I don't know if there is an "RX".. I believe they just have "extra". You would know better than me though, but I never saw a road extra when came time to pick. Only had one list for extra's.. And you couldn't pick your shift. Only days off.

Maybe it was a little different b/c I was at a TA depot and not an OA.. Maybe different work rules.. I dunno.. But that's what I saw at Ulmer Park for the short time I was there.

I know it's impossible to get Sunday's off when you start and for several years, but is it possible to go in later, say 6:00pm-2:00am as a B/O for TA. Is that asking too much too soon or is there a loophole like Zman said. I would have RDO's Tuesday/Wednesday.

Aren't Sunday's the day of the week with the least amount of runs and ridership? I guess it depends on the depot. The reason why I ask is if I am ever hired I would like to keep my P/T job, and Sunday is the only day of the week that would conflict with the schedule of the MTA.

I know it's impossible to get Sunday's off when you start and for several years, but is it possible to go in later, say 6:00pm-2:00am as a B/O for TA. Is that asking too much too soon or is there a loophole like Zman said. I would have RDO's Tuesday/Wednesday.

Aren't Sunday's the day of the week with the least amount of runs and ridership? I guess it depends on the depot. The reason why I ask is if I am ever hired I would like to keep my P/T job, and Sunday is the only day of the week that would conflict with the schedule of the MTA.

There's no real "loophole" per say, just a matter of knowing how to pick. But when you first start, it won't matter b/c there is no good work left for the newbie's.. It's all about seniority.

Tuesdays/Wednesday or Wednesday/Thursday are very likely for a new B/Os days off.

As far as the keeping the 2nd job, it will have to be approved with the MTA if/when you are hired. I forget what the form is called, but you need to fill it out and submit it for approval. If the 2nd job consists of driving, forget about it.

Also, they will not be flexible to your schedule. It's the other way around b/c there is no way of knowing what work is available, till you pick. So if you get hired, and you are scheduled on Sundays, which you will be.. Forget the other job.

If you don't notify TA of the 2nd job & they somehow find out, like say you get into an accident on the other companies time, you will have to notify TA of the accident and once two & two are put together, you can lose your job at transit.

I never knew/understood the deal "tricks" and how that works.. Saw it on the pick board, but again, was all gone by the time I got to pick..

With buses, I don't know if there is an "RX".. I believe they just have "extra". You would know better than me though, but I never saw a road extra when came time to pick. Only had one list for extra's.. And you couldn't pick your shift. Only days off.

A trick is just a synonym for a job.

Looks like the XL at buses might be the same as at LIRR in which you can be used for any shift as long as you have 8 hours between jobs.

And as far as the RX goes, there are only two types of people who go RX: Sabbath observers who do not have the seniority to pick their sabbath day off, and people who can't pick a job at all. Of course things could be different where you worked...

Archived