2010 MLB Postseason The Hunt For October/November Baseball

mass production

I thought I raised this question. Forgot host name but over weekend I was in Atlantic City and listening to an ESPN national radio show. The Host brought up fact that baseball of the '4' major sports is only one in which teams that clinch a playoff spot/division title at end of regular season has 'wild celebrations' post games.

While in the other '3' sports, i.e NHL, NBA, and NFL you don't have wild victory parties until you at least win your conference/league title and play in the Stanley Cup, NBA Finals or Super Bowl.

Do you guys have a problem when a team goes wild for winning only a playoff berth/divison title in MLB? Or should team wait until they make at least the world series?

Baseball is a 162 game season.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight 9/28/10, the Yanks, Rays and Reds can all clinch playoff spot. Cincy the NL Central Title and Yanks and Rays wild card spots.

Not to beat a dead horse but last night in Tampa, the Rays with chance to clinch the wild card had only an announced crowd of 15,000. Granted the recession is having a huge impact all over pro sports but that a disgrace to have a small amount of a crowd.

Unless the Rays in next few years gets a new ballpark either in Downtown Tampa, the team IMO will leave central Fla.

At least 25% of the fans in Tampa/St. Pete's are Yankee, Mets or Red Sox fans.

Imo Its Yanks Or Nothing at all a true fans words even if they loose like in 2008 and before.

They Got this playoffs in 5

And the W.S in 6.

All other teams don't stand a chance.

You best hope that the Yankees don't play the Phillies in the 2010 World Series, not with Halladay pitching(aka Yankee killer). I would post his lifetime stats vs the Yankees but I don't want to depress any Yankee fans tonight since Vasquez is getting lit up like a x-mas tree so far.

I still think the Twins would be an easier match. I'd rather the Rays deal with Lee and the Rangers. Hopefully the Rangers can beat the Rays and then the only pitcher to worry about would be Lee.

Of the 3 teams, the Rays still scares me the most, esepcially at home.

CC and Hughes are the 1-2 punch. Andy, not sure how good he is right now. Burnett, just terrible and helped by the fact that Nova has no experience and Vazquez implodes too much.

I still think the Twins would be an easier match. I'd rather the Rays deal with Lee and the Rangers. Hopefully the Rangers can beat the Rays and then the only pitcher to worry about would be Lee.

Of the 3 teams, the Rays still scares me the most, esepcially at home.

CC and Hughes are the 1-2 punch. Andy, not sure how good he is right now. Burnett, just terrible and helped by the fact that Nova has no experience and Vazquez implodes too much.

Assuming the match ups remain the same and the Yanks/Rays meet in the ALCS, the Yanks IMO must win in 6 games or less. I don't think they can win a 7th game in that dome.:)

Assuming the match ups remain the same and the Yanks/Rays meet in the ALCS, the Yanks IMO must win in 6 games or less. I don't think they can win a 7th game in that dome.:)

wouldn't be surprised if the devil rays ended up getting swept...

I know I rave about how the yankee bullpen aint doing too great, but god forbid price has a bad outing in any of his start(s), that team is Screwed....

....unless some unlikely suspect (tampa SP) comes out of the blue w/ a miraculous kenny rogers like performance back when the tigers beat the yanks in the playoffs that year...

imo, for the yankees to end up getting swept in a series vs tampa, they would pretty much have to roll over & lie dead... all systems fail... like, in that 2004 series in boston where they won 4 straight games to win the alcs in 7.....

(IINM, 2 of those wins were in extra's), which leads me to saying..

^^ either that, or tampa forcing extra innings in each of the 4 games...

I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Rays get swept in K.C......they are just happy to be in the playoffs period! this is the franchises 12th year in MLB and only 3 times have they not finished in last place.

Like I said before the majority of the time that the team who finishes with the best record not only doesn't win the World Series but is one of the first team to get eliminated.:)

don't KC got the Rays number anyway...

anyway, I stopped watching the Yankees after the last game of that boston series (the one before this past series w/ toronto).... I aint watching the Nunez's & the Pena's & the Royce Ring's & the Romulo Sanchez's of the world...

Well Ladies and Gentlemen this is it. On Sunday the end of the regular season is finally here. The AL East Winner (also possible #1 seed in AL playoffs)and the Last 2 NL playoff spots up for grabs.

In NL wild card, the Braves have been in a terrible slump to end the '10 campaign. Just a few days ago, they looked like a lock to grab the #4 NL seed.

Now Atlanta will be lucky to have a 1-game 'play-in' game with either the Padres or Giants.B)

Sunday marks the end of future HOF Manager Bobby Cox tenure of regular season baseball where he is in the top5 all time for most career wins in MLB history.

Sunday should be fun.:tup:

Well Ladies and Gentlemen this is it. On Sunday the end of the regular season is finally here. The AL East Winner (also possible #1 seed in AL playoffs)and the Last 2 NL playoff spots up for grabs.

In NL wild card, the Braves have been in a terrible slump to end the '10 campaign. Just a few days ago, they looked like a lock to grab the #4 NL seed.

Now Atlanta will be lucky to have a 1-game 'play-in' game with either the Padres or Giants.B)

Sunday marks the end of future HOF Manager Bobby Cox tenure of regular season baseball where he is in the top5 all time for most career wins in MLB history.

Sunday should be fun.:tup:

Well.... It is Sunday now! Let's get it!

It's offical. The Rays have won the AL East and the Yanks the wild card.

So here are the AL 1st round matchups's.

#3 Rangers vs #1 Rays

#4 Yankees vs. #2 Twins

Let Texas and the Rays bash each other in the head. We'll be there to pick up the pieces in the ALCS.

Let Texas and the Rays bash each other in the head. We'll be there to pick up the pieces in the ALCS.

Now the National League playoff seedings are set. With the Padres losing this afternoon to the SF Giants, the Braves get the wild card and the Jints the NL west title. Here is the NL 1st round matchups's.

#3 Reds vs. #1 Phillies

#4 Braves vs. #2 Giants

Now the National League playoff seedings are set. With the Padres losing this afternoon to the SF Giants, the Braves get the wild card and the Jints the NL west title. Here is the NL 1st round matchups's.

#3 Reds vs. #1 Phillies

#4 Braves vs. #2 Giants

With the first round set, here are my MLB playoff picks for the Divisional (1st round) series.

NL

Phillies over the Reds in 4 games. The Reds are a team on the rise and next year might make the world series. With that said how does Cincy compete with starters of Halladay, Oswald and Hammels?

Giants over the Braves. Not sure but this is a short series either way. I say 4 games but I won't be shocked if SF swept this.

AL

Twins over the Yanks in 5 games. My upset special.

Even without Monreau this is the best chance for Minnesota to beat the Yanks.

Rays over the Rangers in 5 games. If Texas had a good starter besides Lee, I would pick them. However they don't andTampa wins this IMO in 5 games.

I think this year ALDS matches among the '4' teams this year is the most unpredictable in year and both of the series will go the full 5 games.

It's offical. The Rays have won the AL East and the Yanks the wild card.

So here are the AL 1st round matchups's.

#3 Rangers vs #1 Rays

#4 Yankees vs. #2 Twins

The Rays will sweep the Rangers, and the Yankees will take 3-1 against the Twins.

ALCS will be the Yankees Vs the Rays best of 7. Yankees winning it 4-2

My picks/predictions....

- Rays [3]/Rangers [1]

Lee will win game 1... Rays will beat up on Ranger pitching in game 2, and texas won't recover from it for the rest of the series...

- Yankees [3]/Twins [2]

I think each team will take a game on each other's home turf for the first 4 games.... game 5 will be a matchup of each team's best pitcher... Twins offense w/o Morneau doesn't scare you.. still the same "scrappy" team as in past years, but I have the Yankees winning a game 5....

- Phillies [3]/Reds [1]

The Reds will steal a game somewhere in this series... The phillies pitching is consistent, their bats, aren't.... If the reds weren't such a juicing.. I meant, a HR hitting threat, I would have this as a sweep...

- Giants [3]/Braves [2]

Giants aren't really a scoring team, game-in game-out... Braves can't win away from home... this is why I have this series going 5, and the braves losing it on the road... I won't watch one game from this series - has boring written all over it....

My picks/predictions....

- Rays [3]/Rangers [1]

Lee will win game 1... Rays will beat up on Ranger pitching in game 2, and texas won't recover from it for the rest of the series...

- Yankees [3]/Twins [2]

I think each team will take a game on each other's home turf for the first 4 games.... game 5 will be a matchup of each team's best pitcher... Twins offense w/o Morneau doesn't scare you.. still the same "scrappy" team as in past years, but I have the Yankees winning a game 5....

- Phillies [3]/Reds [1]

The Reds will steal a game somewhere in this series... The phillies pitching is consistent, their bats, aren't.... If the reds weren't such a juicing.. I meant, a HR hitting threat, I would have this as a sweep...

- Giants [3]/Braves [2]

Giants aren't really a scoring team, game-in game-out... Braves can't win away from home... this is why I have this series going 5, and the braves losing it on the road... I won't watch one game from this series - has boring written all over it....

So bro looks like we are in agreement (except for my call of Twins beating the Yanks)on the LDS.

Await Locomotion, Forest Glen, Concourse, Patco, and our other regular MLB posters for their picks.

Rays vs. Rangers-Rays in 5. Texas is a stronger offensive team with Guerrero and Hamilton, but the Rays are a better all around team.

Twins vs. Yankees-Twins in 5. The Yankees simply don't have the pitching. At least one Yankee starter will get shelled. A-Rod, Cano, and Teixeira will give the Yankees two wins but the Twins are hungrier this year and the Yankees are too old.

Phillies vs. Reds-Phillies in 4. The Phillies are the best team in baseball.

Giants vs. Braves-I haven't been paying attention to either team. I'll say Giants in 5 because they were hotter in September and they have home field.

Breaking News.....Omar Minaya has been dismissed as General Manager of the NY Mets and will be reassigned as General Manager of the cracker jacks and cotton candy concession stands at Citi Field...when asked for a comment, Omar said.."Uh Uh...Well I am going to go home and evaluate this offer, uh uh I will give Fred and Jeff Coupons

my answer in a few days.....as for Jerry Manual he has been offered to play the Joker in the next Batman movie.

I know I am late to the party as we enter our 3rd post season with this format. Why can't MLB force TBS/TNT(Turner TV sports)to have the playoff and LCS games be simlucast at least in the '2' teams home markets? Not everyone has or could afford cable tv.

Was worse is this year ALCS games will be on TBS and there are hundred of thousands of Viewers in the NYC/NJ metro area who will shut out and can't watch a game.

If the NFL can have games involving both teams playing be shown on ESPN or NFL Network also be broadcasted on their local/regional TV what can't can't MLB for their playoffs? Oh that right Bud Selig is a sell out.:mad::tup:

Archived