Should the name "Transit Center' be added to major subway/bus hubs on NYC subway system?

Shortline Bus

With the Fulton St/Broadway station about to be renamed the Fulton Transit Center in Manhattan brings up an interesting question. Should the name "Transit Center' be added to major subway/bus hubs on the NYC subway system?

If so here are a few in mind that IMO should be added to the Transit Center name. The main factor for adding the name is if at least 5 bus routes stop at that subway stop and is considered a hub.

Manhattan

168th St TC

Union Sq TC

Bronx

Pelham Bay Park TC Terminal

Parkchester TC

149th/3rd Ave

Fordham RD-183rd ST TC (;)(D)

231 St (1)

242nd St Van Corlandt Park TC Terminal

Woodlawn-Van Corlandt East TC (4)

Brooklyn

Myrtle-Wcyoff TC (M)(L)

Stillwell Terminal-Coney Island TC

Rockaway Parkway-Canarise TC Terminal (L)

86th St-Bay Ridge TC (R)

Flatbush/Nostrand Terminal TC (2)(5)

Atlantic Terminal TC (2)(3)(4)(5) (:D(D)(N)(Q)(R)

Marcy Ave-Williamsburg TC (J)(M)

Broadway Junction-East NY TC

Queens

Jamaica Center TC (J)(E)

179th St-Jamaica TC (F)

74th and Roosevelt-Jackson Heights TC

Kew Gardens TC-Union Turnpike

Forest Hills-71st Avenue TC (E)(F)(R)(M)

Woodhaven Blvd-Queens Center Mall TC (M)(R)

What you guys think?

In the clear essence of your definition, 125st (4)(5)(6) is missing from that list. But the essence of TC may just be...

1. a decidedly urban/downtown location (Penn Station/Grand Central is good enough for the lines that stop at those locales as those are iconic names, and I know you understand that).

2. center can denote shopping and point of interest (as the original underground mall under WTC was, and GC/Penn are today, the rest of those locations do not have on-site malls, although shopping may be nearby).

3. a hub of transit (what you're probably most getting at, where multiple subway lines/bus lines/commuter railroads intersect). Dont forget that a new PATH entrance will also be included in the TC ("commuter" railroad lol), and possibly a transfer to the (1) in the distant future once things actually take shape (its not planned now as the (1) is on the PA NY/NJ side of the plaza things and something has to be built there first).

Taking all three connotations into thought, the only place that really would qualify is Atlantic Av (Atlantic Terminal or whatever name the complex ultimately names itself). And when development in downtown Brooklyn is complete (arena and all), that whole complex may take that name anyway.

Manhattan

Union Sq TC

Bronx

Pelham Bay Park TC Terminal

Parkchester TC

Fordham RD-183rd ST TC (;)(D)

Brooklyn

Stillwell Terminal-Coney Island TC

Flatbush/Nostrand Terminal TC (2)(5)

Atlantic Terminal TC (2)(3)(4)(5) (:D(D)(N)(Q)(R)

Marcy Ave-Williamsburg TC (J)(M)

Queens

Jamaica Center TC (J)(E)

74th and Roosevelt-Jackson Heights TC

What you guys think?

This is my opinion on what are the actual transit hubs.

Guys i asked this because of the Fulton St rename. Plus several transit systems around the country use the name 'transit center' to their station name for hubs i.e Chicago, San Diego, Philly, etc.

Was not neceesairly endorsing it but thought it worth to ask and thought it should be used in NYC. Also do you guys disagree with the (MTA) on Fulton St adding 'Transit Center' to it's station name?

No.

Guys i asked this because of the Fulton St rename. Plus several transit systems around the country use the name 'transit center' to their station name for hubs i.e Chicago, San Diego, Philly, etc.

Still, no. We are not "some other city". We are New York City, and I'd us to continue to be New York City.

No.

Only place in :septa: that used Transit Center are

Frankford Transit Center

Amtrak-30th St Station is major hub but it doesn't say Transit Center.

69th St Terminal does not used Transit Center.

In Connecticut, only Transit Center is used on:

Stamford Transit Center or (long name)

Bridgeport Bus Terminal is transit center, but does not use Transit Center.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Myrtle-Wcyoff TC (M)(L)

The bus area was recently renamed Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal so I would say call the station that

Most of the "Transit Centers" we have are mainly oriented for buses and there's only two that are labeled as TCs: Eltingville and Hempstead. Fulton Street will be the first subway TC ever though.

Um, Hempstead bus terminal has railroad station named LIRR runs everyday id directly across to the bus terminal, making them as a transit center without rail?

Did it ever say, anywhere, that the name of the finished complex would even be "Fulton Street Transit Center"? The MTACC site seems to imply that the surface building is the Transit Center.

Actually it did say that on the MTA website when it was first announced. It WILL be called The Fulton St. Transit Ctr.

In the case of Fulton St, with the huge egg-dome thing, creating the full long name makes some sense. Although I don't know how it will be announced or appear in stations. They may just read "Fulton St" - of course the tiles or anything original would.

On another note, the Myrtle/Wycoff complex (primarily the new bus terminal) is now Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal, so I wonder if that mouthful will be used on any future projects.

In the case of Fulton St, with the huge egg-dome thing, creating the full long name makes some sense. Although I don't know how it will be announced or appear in stations. They may just read "Fulton St" - of course the tiles or anything original would.

On another note, the Myrtle/Wycoff complex (primarily the new bus terminal) is now Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal, so I wonder if that mouthful will be used on any future projects.

Now in this case, Ridgewood Transit Center would have sounded better to me.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Now in this case, Ridgewood Transit Center would have sounded better to me.

Ii thought that was gonna be the name

Archived