Should the name "Transit Center' be added to major subway/bus hubs on NYC subway system?

Shortline Bus

I like the name variants used at the moment...

Grand Central

Pennsylvania Station (Penn for short)

Atlantic Terminal

Fulton Street Transit Center

Jamaica Center

Times Square

And really that's about it as far as major hubs. All 4 got lines that run out of the state (except LIRR), multiple bus and subway routes as well. All except Jamaica Center are tourist magnets. No need for any others.

Most of the "Transit Centers" we have are mainly oriented for buses and there's only two that are labeled as TCs: Eltingville and Hempstead. Fulton Street will be the first subway TC ever though.

Correct.

Um, Hempstead bus terminal has railroad station named LIRR runs everyday id directly across to the bus terminal, making them as a transit center without rail?

It's called "Transit Center" because it's a transit oriented area; doesn't mean people ride the LIRR there as most buses (namely the N15, 16, 35, 40/41, 45 and 46, N54, N70, and N72) go to either busier stations or Main Line stations.

I rarely check this section of the board.... since I have TTK, thought I'd click on the [most recent replied to] thread off the main forum page, at the moment...

With the Fulton St/Broadway station about to be renamed the Fulton Transit Center in Manhattan brings up an interesting question. Should the name "Transit Center' be added to major subway/bus hubs on the NYC subway system?

If so here are a few in mind that IMO should be added to the Transit Center name. The main factor for adding the name is if at least 5 bus routes stop at that subway stop and is considered a hub.

Manhattan

168th St TC

Union Sq TC

Bronx

Pelham Bay Park TC Terminal

Parkchester TC

149th/3rd Ave

Fordham RD-183rd ST TC (B)(D)

231 St (1)

242nd St Van Corlandt Park TC Terminal

Woodlawn-Van Corlandt East TC (4)

Brooklyn

Myrtle-Wcyoff TC (M)(L)

Stillwell Terminal-Coney Island TC

Rockaway Parkway-Canarise TC Terminal (L)

86th St-Bay Ridge TC (R)

Flatbush/Nostrand Terminal TC (2)(5)

Atlantic Terminal TC (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R)

Marcy Ave-Williamsburg TC (J)(M)

Broadway Junction-East NY TC

Queens

Jamaica Center TC (J)(E)

179th St-Jamaica TC (F)

74th and Roosevelt-Jackson Heights TC

Kew Gardens TC-Union Turnpike

Forest Hills-71st Avenue TC (E)(F)(R)(M)

Woodhaven Blvd-Queens Center Mall TC (M)(R)

What you guys think?

Lemme shoot this down right quick...

Center = Central = Centralized area of transit.

.....for all practical purposes, a Transit Center is usually one specific building/space where you can wait to x-fer to any number of buses (as opposed to a sole bus stop on some random curbside).... when you add the term intermodal to it, it refers to a bldg/space where you can x-fer to any # of buses, plus a subway, or a railroad...

Most of what you are naming are major transfer points & hubs.... Doesn't make them transit centers.

So my answer to your question is No.

furthermore, if the word "Terminal" is already appended, why on earth would you add "Transit Center" to it...

That would be like referring to IHOP as "The international house of breakfast pancakes" - see how awkward that sounds???

leave the renaming of hubs/major transfer points to areas outside the city.

I rarely check this section of the board.... since I have TTK, thought I'd click on the [most recent replied to] thread off the main forum page, at the moment...

Lemme shoot this down right quick...

Center = Central = Centralized area of transit.

.....for all practical purposes, a Transit Center is usually one specific building/space where you can wait to x-fer to any number of buses (as opposed to a sole bus stop on some random curbside).... when you add the term intermodal to it, it refers to a bldg/space where you can x-fer to any # of buses, plus a subway, or a railroad...

Most of what you are naming are major transfer points & hubs.... Doesn't make them transit centers.

So my answer to your question is No.

furthermore, if the word "Terminal" is already appended, why on earth would you add "Transit Center" to it...

That would be like referring to IHOP as "The international house of breakfast pancakes" - see how awkward that sounds???

leave the renaming of hubs/major transfer points to areas outside the city.

And thats why I said in truth only this new FSTC, Grand Central, Penn Station and Atlantic Terminal qualify B) And I'm glad they're called what they called cause they happen to be points of interest too cause only here do they also combine shopping and other activities in the immediate area or building itself. In many other cities the building is just transit related usually.

It's called "Transit Center" because it's a transit oriented area; doesn't mean people ride the LIRR there as most buses (namely the N15, 16, 35, 40/41, 45 and 46, N54, N70, and N72) go to either busier stations or Main Line stations.

I was being sarcastic.

Archived