P32AC-DM question

ripple

I ride in and out of GCT each day and my morning consist is shoreliners pushed by a Genesis P32AC-DM.

It seems it runs on diesel all the way into GCT. When I walk out the back for the 48th st exit I walk past a loud, polluting engine. Sometimes I can hear the main one spin down while the AUX gen is still going.

The other day we even stalled in the tunnel for 5 mins.

Why dont they run on the 3rd rail when they can?

Thanks.

I ride in and out of GCT each day and my morning consist is shoreliners pushed by a Genesis P32AC-DM.

It seems it runs on diesel all the way into GCT. When I walk out the back for the 48th st exit I walk past a loud, polluting engine. Sometimes I can hear the main one spin down while the AUX gen is still going.

Thanks.

I believe it's because power under 3rd rail is not sufficient for acceleration needs when not in GCT territory. Same with the LIRR DM30AC's (they run under 3rd rail power only in the tunnel). Power with the Diesel kicked in is already lower than the rated power of 3200. the GE's operate at 2900 max when supplying HEP, meaning that without the diesel operating in electric mode, wheel horsepower would be even lower after subtracting the HEP load (around 2200 max i'm guessing). This would probably not be enough to satisfy statisfactory acceleration requirements out on the open track. That's just my theory.

On the other hand, NJT's new ALP-45DP's from Bombardier are designed to utilize electric mode when available. Why? That's because it's recieving it's electricity from 25kV AC catenary supply, not 750 VDC third rail, making electric mode more sustainable.

Diesel is not allowed south of 97th Street/Park Avenue, so the Genesis would have to use 3rd Rail. ANywhere north it uses Diesel.

When i head to GCT i dont smell diesel unless its the remains of it from when it was on diesel before hitting the tunnel.

Thanks.

Max speed in electric mode is 60mph. When in electric mode there is no dynamic braking, so the Genesis only runs in electric where it's really needed(heading into or out of GCT). If the ac comes on and off when going through CP 3 or anywhere in the terminal, that means you're in electric mode and the engine is going through a gap in the third rail. Even in electric mode, the HEP is still running so that's what you're probably hearing.

• 3 months later...

Did FL9s operate the same way- electric only when needed around GCT?

Also, thanks for these helpful posts. What I don't understand is "why would someone design and sell or buy a dual-mode locomotive whose performance in electric mode is too poor to make the electric mode usable except for a few miles at one end of its line?"

Also, Amtrak and NJ Transit electrics on the Northeast Corridor are pretty quiet. Just curious why the P32AC-DMs, even when parked in Grand Central, are so loud, assuming that they're in electric mode then?

Thanks.

Did FL9s operate the same way- electric only when needed around GCT?

Also, thanks for these helpful posts. What I don't understand is "why would someone design and sell or buy a dual-mode locomotive whose performance in electric mode is too poor to make the electric mode usable except for a few miles at one end of its line?"

Also, Amtrak and NJ Transit electrics on the Northeast Corridor are pretty quiet. Just curious why the P32AC-DMs, even when parked in Grand Central, are so loud, assuming that they're in electric mode then?

Thanks.

I think the engines are allowed to idle down in GCT, just not provide power on anything in revenue service. Compare an LIRR DM30 in NYP to an electric. Its louder, but nowhere near that of a P32AC-DM.

You don't want your train to be stuck in the tunnel coming into CGT, they often idle coming in enough to keep the train moving, then they shut down once the train is parked and "locked down". Sometimes you'll hear the radiator and the HEP generator making different noises, the HEP generator is all most always on as far as i know.

- A

Amtrak is already seeking replacements for their P32s and theres been talk they might swap out a few P32s for ALP-45DPs....word? Rumors, you can't trust em!

The P32s, however, are only needed for the NYC-Albany service. The locomotives, however, are currently 15 years old (although Amtrak should be getting another 15 out of them). Then again, the P40s only lasted about 12 years.

Potential customers for them could be NJT, the MTA, or VIA Rail Canada (the other operators of Gennies).

BTW, question: How do these locos run if they are doing a trip express from Grand Central to Beacon (no 125)?

Amtrak is already seeking replacements for their P32s and theres been talk they might swap out a few P32s for ALP-45DPs....word? Rumors, you can't trust em!

The ALP45DP is designed specifically as a overhead catenary / diesel dual-mode... Sounds to me like it will require extensive redesign to convert it to a third-rail / diesel dual-mode for Amtrak use, no?

Or is Amtrak going to put in more catenaries in the Penn Station area so they won't ever have to use 3rd rail when entering the Penn Station complex from the Hudson line?

Or is Amtrak going to put in more catenaries in the Penn Station area so they won't ever have to use 3rd rail when entering the Penn Station complex from the Hudson line?

There is already catenary up to where the third rail currently ends.

The ALP45DP is designed specifically as a overhead catenary / diesel dual-mode... Sounds to me like it will require extensive redesign to convert it to a third-rail / diesel dual-mode for Amtrak use, no?

The cat's already there. Sometime (tho not common) a P42 would venture down here and either another P32 or an AEM-7 would wait at CP Empire and electrically guide it into Penn.

Archived