Should the "E" train runs As Queens Express during LIRR weekend shutdown?

Shortline Bus

Simple question. Should the (E) train runs As Queens Express 24/7 during LIRR weekend shutdown in late October-November?

Here link for reason the LIRR is not running between Jamaica and Penn Station/Atlantic Terminal.(Brooklyn)

Thank Kriston Lewis for link to MTA website. http://mta.info/supplemental/lirr/JCO2010.pdf

The (E) which is already very busy on weekends, will become even more Rush Hour type SRO. I am already aware that the (E) runs express weekends between Forest Hills-Queens Plaza from 6am-11pm. I am asking guys should the (MTA) run the (E) as Queens Blvd express and the (R) 'all night' during this LIRR semi-shutdown?

Also for LI Bus routes such as the N6 and hourly overnight service on the N4,N15,N19 N22 and N24.

Simple question. Should the (E) train runs As Queens Express 24/7 during LIRR weekend shutdown in late October-November?

Here link for reason the LIRR is not running between Jamaica and Penn Station/Atlantic Terminal.(Brooklyn)

Thank Kriston Lewis for link to MTA website. http://mta.info/supplemental/lirr/JCO2010.pdf

The (E) which is already very busy on weekends, will become even more Rush Hour type SRO. I am already aware that the (E) runs express weekends between Forest Hills-Queens Plaza from 6am-11pm. I am asking guys should the (MTA) run the (E) as Queens Blvd express and the (R) 'all night' during this LIRR semi-shutdown?

Also for LI Bus routes such as the N6 and hourly overnight service on the N4,N15,N19 N22 and N24.

Overnight LiBus service: No

(E) as a weekend express (sans nights): Absolutely

I've always thought the (R) train should run all night, but at the current time, no. The (E) should remain local at night, however.

Actually right before the fiscal crisis hit the (MTA) they had made a proposal around late 2007(during previous boss Lee Sandler failed systemwide expansion plans)to run the (R) 24/7, the (N) over the Manhattan Bridge at all times and the (E)(F) as 24/7 Queens Express.

The N4 essentially has 24 hour service... what it needs is to actually come a bit more on time. I've seen quite a few dispatchers in Lynbrook just perched by the entrance to the United Artists theater. When I last rode it and got off there, there was a dispatcher, and he got up and walked towards the bus I just got off of... he didn't look happy.

How would one get on an (E) from Jamaica Station? Jamaica Center is a good 20 minute walk down Archer Avenue.

I've seen maps of it and do the Jamaica tracks run by the LIRR tracks?

If I had to get to Penn Station, I'd just transfer to the (A) from an N32. I love where I am on LI - at least this section of VS has buses that actually run, unlike the N1 and N2...

The (E) and (J) is downstairs underground at Supthin and Archer. The LIRR and JFK Airtrain "Jamaica Station' is upstairs on an "EL" tracks behind the Sutphin/Archer subway station.

Does your parents allow you to railfan Joel? By 18 years old, I had already been at least 1x to all 400-plus subway stations, most of Nassau County via LIB/LIRR and the Path trains.:eek:

My parents (mainly my dad who had to get around Flushing in the early 1990 before he got his license) were done with the city and moved onto LI before I turned 4. Mind you, I was born late into 1991 but not so late that I would have to enter school a year later (damn that cutoff date).

The nearest subway station to my house IS Jamaica Center (although I think whatever (A) station the N32 stops by is closer).

I'm more of a surface transit fan (LIB... however long it remains public) than rapid transit... the last time I rode the subway was about last December because my sister wanted to go shopping in Manhattan for her 16th birthday, and I met up with her at a Chinese restaurant on the Lower East Side. This was on a Saturday night, so it was already dark, and raining the entire way.

I do want to just get on an N4 to Jamaica Center or an N32 to Mott Avenue and just go to Penn Station (via the (E) for no reason, but I don't know what the parental units will think of that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now its the opposite. The (E) is shut down for 2 weekends from Queens Plaza to all Manhattan stops.

Are they doing signal work ? I believe if I recall the (E) went through work on the Jamaica side before where it was shut down for weekends just like it is being shut down in Manhattan now.

Will be nice when all the work is finished and the R179 cars are in to finish off the remaining older cars in the system along with the LIRR getting in the new M9 cars.

All the big stuff seems to be budgetted out to 2011-2013.

Archived