Sending the (J), or the future (T) across the Brooklyn Bridge

Roadcruiser1

If any of you guys know trains use to cross the Brooklyn Bridge. I wonder if trains can cross the Brooklyn Bridge again. Maybe 1 Manhattan bound and Brooklyn bound lane should be replace with tracks. The (J) train and the future (T) train if it ever happens could utilize the tracks to get to Manhattan or Brooklyn. If the (T) never makes it that far maybe the (Z) could cross the bridge too. It would be pretty useful for New York and it would be attractive. What do you guys think?

http://www.ny1.com/?SecID=1000&ArID=81919

http://www.planetizen.com/node/31349

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzCzHmYTQ40

Atl-Downtown.png

I don't ever see that happening again. I don't think the bridge could support full sets of BMT cars like that. Plus it would cost so much to modify the bridge for such use. Those tracks aren't even there anymore either, so costs would skyrocket. You would also have to bore into the ground, build new stations, connect tunnels. Way too labor intensive.

I know that I have had been on the Brooklyn Bridge before. Though it might be cheaper to retrofit and streghten the Brooklyn Bridge for rail traffic then build a new tunnel. If BMT cars are too heavy the (6) could use it the IRT cars might be possible.

If buses aren't allowed, what makes you think that two crowded trains would work? Anyway, closing the Brooklyn Bridge would result in extreme traffic.

I don't ever see that happening again. I don't think the bridge could support full sets of BMT cars like that. Plus it would cost so much to modify the bridge for such use. Those tracks aren't even there anymore either, so costs would skyrocket. You would also have to bore into the ground, build new stations, connect tunnels. Way too labor intensive.

Plus, it would require a makeover of the Chrystie street cut, which isn't worth the effort (lets face it, the (T) is probably useless if it doesn't go to lower manhattan)

It could be possible if the (T) elevates itself a bit before it reaches the Brooklyn Bridge it would work like the El in the video. The bridge could be retrofitted to handle heavy rail traffic. Like when they retrofitted the Manhattan Bridge. They could add cross braces below add things that would strengthen the bridge but not ruin it's looks.

@RC1: The (T) could elevate itself at a 90-degree angle for all it's worth, but it will NOT run on the Brooklyn Bridge. The cost of retrofitting the bridge would probably be more than building a brand new tunnel. Plus, even if the costs were not astronomical, they would have to close part, if not the entire bridge, forcing all commuters to flock to the Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges, which are already overcrowded.

To tell you guys the truth. I just found out the cars they used on the Brooklyn Bridge were Q-type cars. The full train set only composed of about 6 cars weighing only 140,000 pounds when it was full. The R160's full train set composes of 8 cars weighing 800,000 pounds at full load. So the Brooklyn Bridge can't support a NYCS subway train. Though a second plan mentions light rail.

The Brooklyn Bridge is no longer in the structural shape that it was back when they had trolleys and elevated cars running across it. The only thing that would work weight wise would be trolleys or light rail if any at all. Any possible positives aren't enough to justify the the cost of building, plus halting vehicular traffic across the Brooklyn Bridge would cause havoc and prevent traffic from accessing lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. With IRT, IND and BMT service close to the Brooklyn Bridge already, I don't see what gap doing such service would be beneficial and filling.

I found out that a typical light rail car weights 98,000 pounds. That's less then the 140,000 pound Q type car. So light rail might be a good option for the Brooklyn Bridge in the future. Also a typical light rail car should carry about 240 passengers. A full Q type train could carry about 300 passengers. They could hit speeds of 72 mph faster then the Q type car speed of 55 mph.

None of the above will happen, and not even light rail, and none of the above should happen.

The days of trains or any kind of rail over the Brooklyn Bridge are as dead and gone as the 6th Avenue Elevated.

Now can this place please begin living in the real world again and leave the fantasy map foamfests for the degenerates over at straphangers?

As others said: there's just no point. Plus with the (Mx) gone, there's more than enough room in the Montegue tunnel for the (T) to run thru. Even a new river tunnel connecting the WTC (E) stop [or the City Hall BMT lower level] to the Court st [current TM] stop would be a better investment than to strengthen the Brooklyn Bridge to hold up the weight of trains and cars running on it.

Archived