September 2010 Committee Changes

Amtrak7

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100927_1045_BUS.pdf, PDF pages 67-92.

• Move the last uptown BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4, BM5 stop from 1st & 57th to 57th & 3rd - Jan 2011
  • Reroute northbound N31/32 from Mott Av to Beach 21st - October
  • Midtown x27/x28 trips operate via x10B route in peak direction south of 23rd - Winter 2011
  • Reroute M3 via Amsterdam 162-155 Sts (already implemented)
  • Move north terminal of M9 to 23rd St & Asser Levy Pl - October 10, 2010

So the x37/38 are returning in a limited form...

• Move the last uptown BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4, BM5 stop from 1st & 57th to 57th & 3rd - Jan 2011

• Midtown x27/x28 trips operate via x10B route in peak direction south of 23rd - Winter 2011

I always thought that there was enough riders to at least run the X37/38 for at least 90 minutes-2 hours in each peak direction i.e Mornings 6am-8am and evenings 4pm-630pm and why this was totally canned in June doomsday cuts?:confused:

I could understand the late X37/38 trips i.e 8am-9am mornings and 7-8pm being cut. I know firsthand as since last Fall '09 on a Friday Night riding a 8pm X38 for Sea Gate/Coney Island and boarding at 23rd St/Park, there was only 10 riders on that trip.

They probably were only concentrating on reducing costs. They probably feel that a good portion of Midtown riders would switch to the subway, since they wouldn't have to ride in the Lower Manhattan traffic. That means that they can run fewer buses to Midtown (since each bus would have a lower number of people, leaving space for commuters in Lower Manhattan), which saves money in operating costs and deadheading costs.

They probably were only concentrating on reducing costs. They probably feel that a good portion of Midtown riders would switch to the subway, since they wouldn't have to ride in the Lower Manhattan traffic. That means that they can run fewer buses to Midtown (since each bus would have a lower number of people, leaving space for commuters in Lower Manhattan), which saves money in operating costs and deadheading costs.

And the (MTA) was wrong IMO. Some parts of Shore Rd (there is no 'local' bus running on it between Bay Ridge Ave and 86th St)and Cropsey are as much as 3/4-1 mile from the nearest subway lines mainly the (D) for the X28 and (R) (for the X27)lines.

Yet a express bus route the BM4 which often has very low ridership outside of rush hours got *zero cuts in service.*

Maybe the idea is that they can take a crosstown bus (the (B4) on 77th Street, the (B16) on 86th Street, or the (B9)/(B64) on Bay Ridge Avenue) to connect with the (R) train.

As far as the BM4 bus goes, I do believe that the City of NY is paying for the operating costs. However, I do agree with you that they should get rid of it on Saturdays.

If you think about it, if the BM4 cost $40 per person on Saturday, the MTA is losing no money because the City of NY pays everything (so their net income/loss is $0). However, if they cut it, those passengers would take the (B31) to the (Q) train, meaning that their net income is $2.25. Multiply that by 70 passengers per day, for 52 Saturdays per year, and you get about $8,000 annually just sitting there for the taking.

whoa whats goin on with St Nicholas Av between 155 and 162 ?

a driver works on the BM4 on saturdays and told me that Saturdays has 2% ridership EXCEPT weekdays its mostly 60%.

Mostly, the BM2 is most ridership on weekdays and saturdays with sometimes BM1/3 on saturdays excpt weekdays lots of ridership

Another BM route with less ridership on saturdays is the BM5.

a driver works on the BM4 on saturdays and told me that Saturdays has 2% ridership EXCEPT weekdays its mostly 60%.

Mostly, the BM2 is most ridership on weekdays and saturdays with sometimes BM1/3 on saturdays excpt weekdays lots of ridership

Another BM route with less ridership on saturdays is the BM5.

Being fair, only the BM1 BM2(extended to Spring Creek/Starret City when BM5 does not run)and BM3 should run on Saturdays. And when the budget crisis ends, if Sunday service is created for these SE Brooklyn(Spring Creek depot)express buses the BM1 and BM2 runs.

Maybe the idea is that they can take a crosstown bus (the (B4) on 77th Street, the (B16) on 86th Street, or the (B9)/(B64) on Bay Ridge Avenue) to connect with the (R) train.

It will be better if MTA extends B9 down via Shore Road to where x27 terminates at. B9 route does connects to 59 Street station for the (N) service express in Brooklyn via Manhattan Bridge, and it might be a better attractive replacement for x27 weekend service lost; except still weekend service on the subways suck shit.

Archived