Jerome Avenue Line Fantasy Track Map

Iamthe1

It's the (Q) that is being extended to 125th Street and skip stop service work when a specific train is told to skip a specific station like Train A stops at Station 1 but Train 2 skips Station 1 and goes to Station 2. Lets say the line has 10 stops so Train A stops at station 1,3,5,7,and 9. Train 2 stops at 2,4,6,8,and 10. On a two track line the train at station 1 would have to leave so the train could bypass station 1. Also the (1) line section to 242nd street has 3 tracks so the (3) could also be a bi directional express. If it's possible may it could support four tracks. Allows the (3) to be an express. This would allow people to access Harlem easier and would allow faster service between the Bronx and Uptown Manhattan.

Or another possible action is to bring back the (W). Make it use the tunnel branching off the Broadway Line for either the (N) or the (Q) on Second Avenue if it's ever done. Then make it branch off and cross underneath the Second Avenue Line via a new tunnel under the East River with a stop at Roosevelt Island and continue on to the Astoria Line helping with the riders. Thus Astoria is served by the (N) and the (W). The (W) takes back the role of being Broadway local to Canal Street where it branches off to East Broadway with a station at Grand Street creating a Broadway-Sixth Avenue connection in Lower Manhattan which doesn't exist, the (W) could run on down the Rutgers Street Tunnel as a Culver local to Ave X, the (F) quickly becomes the Culver express to Coney Island shortening the time of commute on the Culver Line,and the (N) and (Q) could happily go back to being express services. Again this is off topic so lets get back on topic with the (3).

@RC1: Dude, slow down and take a deep breath before posting because you have several different ideas in one post. Concerning Second Avenue, when the line up to 96 St is completed, the (Q) will most likely be rerouted there and the (W) brought back, resuming its pre-6/28 service to alleviate overcrowding on the Astoria line. No new tunnels, no Broadway-Sixth Avenue connections, just new service arrangements.

On the (3) via Broadway idea, I personally don't see much benefit from the (3) running a convoluted line from Broadway and St. Nicholas Ave to Lenox Ave, then back to Broadway-7th Ave. Any time saved would be lost with its circuitous route and riders would stick with the (A) and (C) and transfer to the (2) or (3) in lower Manhattan for Brooklyn service via Eastern Pkwy.

I'm really not defending the (3) loop extenstion when I say this.... but we could say the same about the (N)(R) trains.... except the (N) is via the Bridge and (R) is via Lower Manhattan and the tunnel. Same thing w/ the (1)(3) trains.... (1) is via West Harlem and the (3) is via Central Harlem.

Roadcruiser1..... no lie, but you have one of the most unique personalities on this forum when it come to subway planning. You would be the perfect candidate for making fantasy subway maps like vanshnookenraggen.

Skip stop on upper broadway will not work.

It was tried before, and cancelled because it was not useful.

242nd cannot turn both the (1) and (3) services. It can't handle that many trains per hour.

This also causes a logjam at 96th street in both directions while (3) trains move onto 4 track N/B and onto 2 track S/B

So in summary: NO

Why do that if you could just have the (3) run under 148th Street Straight and have it join with the (1)?

You can have a stop at 8th Ave and/or St. Nicholas Avenue with connection toi the IND.

Again this is fantasy lol!

I understand that if a person lives in Central Harlem that it would be a pita to take the (3) back to get the (1), but I don't think that's a good reason to extend the (3). And I know it's still far off, but if the SAS gets to 125th, they should extend that to at least CPW-125th.

You mean like 2 months ago lol ;)...but since were playing fantasy here, let's throw fuel for the fire lol. They can extended the (2)(5) down Nostrand Av to Kings Plaza and form a skip-stop pair

It would be easier to have it run down Flatbush Av. As for the current station, that may have to be abandoned unless the 'spur' is built below the current station [and I'm not sure how they are going to find room to build the switches on Nostrand].

Some people speculate that the (N) and (Q) will switch northern terminals once the Second Avenue Subway opens, so the (N) will run up the Second Avenue Line.

I never speculated about such a swap. I think that should the SAS either goes towards CPW-125th or even the Bronx, then it would be best for the (N) to be extended and have the (Q) take the shorter route and terminate at Astoria.

Or another possible action is to bring back the (W). Make it use the tunnel branching off the Broadway Line for either the (N) or the (Q) on Second Avenue if it's ever done. Then make it branch off and cross underneath the Second Avenue Line via a new tunnel under the East River with a stop at Roosevelt Island and continue on to the Astoria Line helping with the riders. Thus Astoria is served by the (N) and the (W). The (W) takes back the role of being Broadway local to Canal Street where it branches off to East Broadway with a station at Grand Street creating a Broadway-Sixth Avenue connection in Lower Manhattan which doesn't exist, the (W) could run on down the Rutgers Street Tunnel as a Culver local to Ave X, the (F) quickly becomes the Culver express to Coney Island shortening the time of commute on the Culver Line,and the (N) and (Q) could happily go back to being express services. Again this is off topic so lets get back on topic with the (3).

If you're selling something, you're going to get a swift "no" just for the verbal diarrhea…

Where would this open land come from? Last time I looked the Bay Ridge Branch freight cut was south of the Flatbush-Nostrand Junction. Oh, that's right. We're talking fantasy here.

Technically, he said a 137th St.-esque yard so it would all be underground while the Bay Ridge ROW is on the surface. Still not necessary at all though...

You know what.... this (3) to 242nd St allows Washington Heights Inwood residents having access to Central Harlem unlike the (1)(A)(:P©(D) trains. This is somewhat a taste of what the (N) has to offer when it's extended "hopefully along 125th St.

How does skip-stop work?, especially on a two-track line.

A (3) to 242nd St. isn't necesary. If Inwood and Washington Heights residents want Central Harlem, they take either the M2, M3 or M4 buses.

Skip-stop works by having every train on the line stop at every other stop. Trains never pass each other since it's just like running regular 2-track local service, only with half the stops. It's only run in cases where a third track doesn't exist though. And also, skip-stop was eliminated on the (1)for a reason. Having more frequent (1) service is better, since (1) service north of 96th St. is really fast anyway.

I'm really not defending the (3) loop extenstion when I say this.... but we could say the same about the (N)(R) trains.... except the (N) is via the Bridge and (R) is via Lower Manhattan and the tunnel. Same thing w/ the (1)(3) trains.... (1) is via West Harlem and the (3) is via Central Harlem.

Not necessarily. The (3) is the express in this scenario, but any time savings would be negated by the longer route. In the (N)(R) scenario, the (R) is the local route that takes the longer path, while the (N) saves time taking the shortcut to Brooklyn.

Archived