Do any local bus routes actually use the highways

Joel Up Front

In reply to Joel's thread title, I wish SI non-express buses used SI's highways.

I have ideas for SI non-express bus routes that would do just that.

And what to do & where to go when SI's highways get clogged.

Glad to see non-express bus routes in other counties in MTA territory use highways.

By the way, what are your ideas on which routes should use SI's highways?

If a bus uses a bridge that's a part of the highway system (e.g. the Verrazano - Naoorws Bridge, also called Interstate 278), then it us basically using the highway. Technically speaking, there are some local buses that do use the highway...the S53, S79 and S93 are a few examples since they use the bridge.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

The Q35 does when it crosses the Marine Parkway Bridge. I'm not sure if that street it goes down after leaving the bridge also count

Subway Shuttle Buses that use highway

Non-stop (2)(S) Bus EXP bet. E. 180th & 149th St-GC use I-95, Sheridan Expressway

(F) Non-Stop bet. Jay & Church St use Prospect Expressway and some use BQE.

I dont think the OP wants to know about (S) buses or Highways thats local street.

^^^ no doubt, bro.

The Q35 does when it crosses the Marine Parkway Bridge. I'm not sure if that street it goes down after leaving the bridge also count

in what direction?

"after leaving the bridge" heading towards kings plaza... nah, that's not a highway... all that is still flatbush av (up until the toll booth approach) believe it or not...

"after leaving the bridge" on the queens side... what is that called, the riis park roadway or something like that... I would count it... has a highway feel to it driving around & through it, before you get to rockaway bch. blvd...

I remember when the Q85 used to use the Belt Parkway (kinda), heading Jamaica-bound it used to go straight onto what technically is the Belt Parkway and got off at the next exit 0.5 miles away as opposed to turning onto Brookville Blvd to get on that bridge like it does now...well it actually used to use both but it used the Belt Parkway most of the time.

Archived