Splitting the (F) train

2Line1291

How do you suppose splitting the (F) line? I like it the way it is now. Delays can be an issue though as the (F) shares tracks with (E) in Queens, (M) in Manhattan, and (G) in Brooklyn.

I am waiting for the day any of these "ideas" don't suck.

The number of threads with them in it just keeps multiplying yet they serve absolutely no purpose.

Maybe it's time to bring back the "fantasy map forum" as a form of quarantine for the skullduggery on this board...

If you split the (F) where is it gonna end? Your talking about spiting the (F) but notice the (A) is even longer (if im correct). Theres nothing much to do now. However, it would be nice if the (C) can take over Leffert Service and keep the (A) only to Mott Ave.

There's no need to split the lines. As already mentioned the (A), and the (F) shares tracks with other services. There is no way they can be split into two lines. The only way to shorten lines is to build new lines like Second Avenue so new services could take the load off the other lines and you already know how long that is taking. So No.

The (A) and (F) are two of NYC's longest subway lines. But like the (A) which only deals w/ the (C) and (D) along the way, the (F) deals w/ the (E)(G)(M) and travels along the heavily used Queens Blvd Line. I always thought if the (F) could be split into 2 lines.

There no place you can split the (F) in Manhattan right now other than running it to 168th St on the Central Park West Coordior. The only logical location in Midtown could be 57th/6th where the (K) (:) and (Q) ended years ago.

However i think the (MTA) took off the signals/switches between Rockfeller Center and 57th after the 63rd St Tunnel was connected to the Queens Blvd line a decade ago. not to mention creating chaos i.e massive train back-ups, so option that is out. And if you did, the only time the (F) could be split is late nights ending at 57th/6th. Then riders on 63rd St. stations, mainly at Roosevelt Island, would be ticked off losing 24/7 to either Queens or Manhattan.

When the SAS 1st leg is open to running to 96th St/2nd, then an option IMO could be to run the (F) along that new coordior but I am not endorsing it per say. The current plan when SAS opens is to extend the (Q) up that way.

If you do then either the (R) or (M) would have to be extended 24/7 to 179. Or a new line say running between 179th St/Hillside and the WTC-Chambers would have to be created.

So for now, other than debating whether the (F) should return to the 53rd St line with the (E) which is an overplayed issue/argument in itself, the (F) is fine as it is.:eek:

I am waiting for the day any of these "ideas" don't suck.

The number of threads with them in it just keeps multiplying yet they serve absolutely no purpose.

Maybe it's time to bring back the "fantasy map forum" as a form of quarantine for the skullduggery on this board...

This is a fantasy dream alright.

To the original poster: No offense, but the (A) and (F) are fine as is. I understand that they are long lines, but there's no way there will be split services. I think splitting the (A) and (F) would do more bad than good in my honest opinion.

How would that be? Send trains via 31st Street?

Error until about almost 25 years ago, the (R) used to run 24/7 between Astoria and Bay Ridge/95th St. It was extended and flip flop it's Queens terminal with the (N) due to fact, the (R) had no direct access to a train yard to store it's trains. The (R) has been with the Jamaica Yards since 1987.

There no place to split the (R) either until at least the SAS opens.

Short turn select trains at Whitehall or City Hall

It only would work during rush hours Error when the (R) has 4-6 minute headways. Other then that, Bay Ridge/4th Ave local riders south of Pacific/Atlalntic will go nuts waiting 10 minutes or more for a train. When recession ends, the (MTA) should consider running the (Z) rush hours to/from 95th/Bay Ridge. Or bring back the Banker's Special Nassau Line (R) in which it ran to Chambers until 1986-87, when the Manhattan Bridge rebuilding got underway.

There is no need to change with the (A) and (F) train service. Currently the (A) does have split service with one (A) runs from 207th Street-Far Rockaway making all local stops. An (A) shuttle train makes all stops between Euclid Avenue-Lefferts Blvd during late nights.

Sometime during the 1990's the (F) had split service making stops from Coney Island-21st Street Queensbridge during late nights. (G) trains made stops between Smith-9th Streets-179th Street during late nights. After the 63rd Street Connector was finished (F) trains went to 179th Street at all times and (G) train service was cut back to Forest Hills-71st Avenue until this year to Court Square.

Short turn select trains at Whitehall or City Hall

You mean the (W)? If so I'm all for that idea, just one thing. Have them end at Astoria. :)

Maybe it's time to bring back the "fantasy map forum" ...

I would totally support that.

If you split the (F) where is it gonna end?

You probably should ask the (MTA) that since it was kind of their idea originally

My bad if I got some hypercritically mad, but like Nova said "this was the MTA idea". I've found this idea on a MTA report on ideas of how to improve (F) train service.

If they can dream of lines that aren't going to happen, I can dream of a forum where people don't discuss such impossibilities day in and day out.
I truely and honestly know what you feel seriously..... but just like everything and everywhere isn't perfect, your dreams is also the impossibility. Like this forum is every gonna have people that doesn't talks about the impossibility.

Another pointless thread that may cause feuding between members :tdown:
Over a topic about splitting the (F) train.... LMBO:cry:

Interesting idea. I know you could terminate southbound (F)s at 2 Av., but where northbound? If only...no, I've got it: 2 Av would be perfect. Then call what runs from Jamaica-179 St. to 2 Av the (V), and 2nd to Stillwell: (F). There would need to be a crossover north of Essex, and I'd...I'll leave it at that. ...Wide area after 2 Av., there could be one of those Metro-North speed switches (interlockings).

There's nothing wrong with proposing fantasy transit ideas. There's just kind of a fatigue given the aforementioned topic.

They're a waste of time and space, and a cursory glance of the topics shows that the proposers of such ideas have not given considerations relevant to them proper thought.

So why should we?

They're a waste of time and space, and a cursory glance of the topics shows that the proposers of such ideas have not given considerations relevant to them proper thought.

So why should we?

Granted you make a good point (P train, that stupid route from Norwood to Continental Avenue, Half of anything related to SAS, the P train which was so stupid it deserves a second reference, ect.) but a simple solution would be to just ask the moderators if they can reactivate the fantasy thread, so those who aren't interested don't have to filter through them.

I take it you missed the P train thread....

There's nothing wrong with proposing fantasy transit ideas. There's just kind of a fatigue given the aforementioned topic.

You're right, there's nothing wrong w/ proposing fantasy threads, just have a section for the expertise foamers though. I knew about the P train thread ever sinced it started on page 1, and I just watched as members childish (but funnly/hilariously at the same time) fight over which trainset should run on there.

Hey, i have to wait almost 20 minutes on weekends up here on QB lol

Anyway in case i didnt make it too clear this is exactly what I want:

1) Allocate about 2 or 3 extra trains on the R

2) Every other train leaving Continental would short turn at City Hall

3) To make them in Brooklyn happy, every other train would short turn at Whitehall

4) I really doubt anyone would have a need to take the R train all the way from Bay Ridge up to Continental, and even if they did they can either transfer to the N and make their ride faster, or just wait for the next train if they cant stand r160s..

Archived