Splitting the (F) train

2Line1291

@Roadcruiser1: Not only does your idea impractical, it's damn near impossible. You'd have to tear down numerous buildings just to build the tunnel to connect to the Culver line. Then there's the connection to the 4th Ave line, which is also impossible with all the other lines crossing in the immediate area. Also, even if by some miracle this could happen, what good would it do for Culver riders? Where would the shortened (F) terminate? Where would the (W) go?

Here's my idea: How about the (F) run from Jamaica-179 St to Coney Island via Queens Blvd Exp, 6 Av/Culver Lcl all times? Oh wait, it already does that!!! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The (F) has run the same route for decades with very little change outside of re-routes due to construction on 63rd Street. Why change it?

Oh yeah this is what I meant. This map should take some of the time and the load off the (F).

WExpress2.jpg?t=1285545373

More feasible might be to connect the (W) to the (F) north of Jay St-Borough Hall. That way, all construction happens under parks or municipal buildings, so no private property would need to be seized. Food for thought, anyway.

This has nothing to do with the splitting of the (F), but if I had to make a change to the (F) line, it would be to re-route it via 53 St instead of 63 St. Have the (M) go via 63 St.

Why? The whole point of the current arrangement is to have QBL express and local service on 53rd St, which is a lot busier than 63rd St.

I guess they feel F trains are a taxi company because the F has plenty of service, much more than the N and D; less than the combined Brighton line but certainly more than the B.

But the fact that the (:P, (D), and (N) are express in Brooklyn makes up for the fact as the average wait time is canceled out by the time saved. If the (F) ever ran express north of Church Avenue, it would be the fastest line since the average waiting time would be low and the speed would be fast. Compared to the West End and Sea Beach lines, the Culver line is also a fairly direct route to Manhattan.

Archived