Testing Pattern?

R44 CNG

Yes that's standard. It's a test pattern used to make sure all the electronic connections are working throughout the train and all signs are displaying uniformly.

They do use something similar with the R44/R46's, so it's not just NTT's. The one used at Coney Island displays all C's then changes to all I's

As for the person asking about the 8 route, there is no 8 route, it's part of the test pattern. For a test pattern to work it's important the sign change so that crews can make sure all the signs are updating at roughly the same time. In that particular case the route readout was changing number as a "count up" part of the pattern and 8 just happens to be after 7.

It doesn't necessarily happen to every train that comes out of the yard but test patterns are run on all the cars every so often. Most times it's done is right after an add (coupling) to make sure that all the electronic connections are working right between the two recently coupled sets.

I cannot answer those questions, but that is the weirdest video I've seen.

I lol'd when the T/O was nodding at the camera like "Oh, yeah!"...

Either a transit employee was taking the video or a transit employee was with him while the video was being shot. This is because there is radio noise. Because of this, the t/o was nodding at the person with the radio.

Either a transit employee was taking the video or a transit employee was with him while the video was being shot. This is because there is radio noise. Because of this, the t/o was nodding at the person with the radio.

...but what about looking directly at the recorder?

Well, a person could easily purchase a scanner. This would allow them to listen in on transit communications.

Archived