Your (A) and (C) Train Improvements

m106crosstown

I know these ideas will never happen, but I would do the following:

1) Make the (C) a full time route and extend it from 168 St-Lefferts Blvd at all times.

2) Make the (C) a 10-Car Train.

3) Run the (A) and (C) more frequently and equally rather than 12 (A) trains to 1 (C) train.

2) Have an (A) train going to 207 St and Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park and get rid of the (S).

3) Use the two abandoned tracks and the third track between Howard Beach and Euclid Av. Make some (A) trains express to/from Euclid Av during Peak Hours (skipping Euclid, Grant, 80, 88, Rockaway and Aqueduct)

4) Build another platform to support southbound service at Aqueduct Racetrack or just demolish the entire station altogether.

Here's mine, these affect the (E)cho and (M)ikey and Rockaway Park (S)huttle too, but what the heck...

(A) 207 St. -> Far Rockaway via 8th Ave. Exp., Fulton Exp.

All times except late nights...late nights Euclid Ave. -> Far Rockaway shuttle

(C) 168 St. -> World Trade Center via 8th Ave. Local

All times except late nights...Late nights 207 St. -> WTC via 8th Ave LCL

(Extended to 10 car trains...)

(E) Jamaica Center -> Lefferts Blvd. via QBlvd Exp, 8th Ave. Exp., Fulton LCL

All times

(S) Rockaway Park -> 88 St. Boyd Ave. Shuttle

All times

and the challenging part, I posted this on sub chat about a week ago...

(M) Metropolitan Ave -> 42nd / Port Authority via 8th Ave LCL

All times

Manhattan bound (M)ikey would take Chrystie St. cut, stop at Bway Lafayette, go to the upper level at W4, and run up 8th ave., then use the following track connection for the terminal at the 42nd LL, which would be operated like the relay at 205 on the (D)elta.

I realize there's still problems with this, especially the merges at Bway Lafayette and South of W4...not sure how it'd play out though...

Here's a pic of that 42nd bit...map is based off Peter Dougherty's maps on nyc subway dot org...

42snapshotjs8.png

cfgmvchanges2.jpg

(C) Washington Heights -168 St, Manhattan to Middle Village-Metropolitan Av, Queens, except late nights

-Central Park West / 8 Av / Chrystie St Local / Williamsburg Bridge / Myrtle Av Local

- Late nights via Myrtle Av Shuttle; Metropolitan to Myrtle Av only.

(M) replaces (Z). Jamaica Center to Brighton Beach, rush hours, weekday middays to Chambers St.

(V) replaces (C) Between, Washington Square Park- West 4 St, Manhattan and Euclid / Pitkin Av's, except late nights

Both (C) & (V) switch from 6th Av to 6th Av ( 8 Av) via West 4 St.

Run the (C) on shorter headways..

Extend the (C) to ten car trains..

Run the (A) on shorter headways..

And make the R32/38s run more on the far rocaway (A) line...

Put some R46s on the (A) and (C) lines even though thats going to happen in a few months..

Not to get off topic here, but , R46's will be on the (A) & (C)?

These are very good plans! Personally, I would leave the (A) and (C) just how they are and kill all the timers on the 8th ave. line which kills the express part about the (A).

I also like Brighton Zach's Idea about extending the (V) because during the remainder of the route from 2nd Ave to Broadway Laffayett, no passgeners remain on the train cuz they wait for the (F).

I also love the (G) extending along the (F) to Kings Highway, but it would be even better if it strechted a little bit farther to Ave. X leading it to the terminal.

I think the (M) should still terminate at Middle Village Metropolitan Ave. and the (C) should take the (Z)'s place. I would also eliminate all SKIPSTOP service along the (J)(M)and(Z) trains. The (C) would just be a better alternative to the (Z) line.

I also like SubwayGuy's idea about the (M) running along 8th Ave. The (M) should do that, but not all times. Maybe during rush hours or something.

R46s are not going anywhere. It will take the (MTA) a long time to implement CBTC on Queens Boulevard and by then the R46s will have to be (at least in the MTA's eyes) retired.

Somebody that works for MTA said somewere else that the R46s WILL go the (A) and (C) lines. So the R46s are going to the (A) and (C) line to replace the R32s and the R38s that are over there and it already been said that the r160s wont go to the (A) and (C) lines...

I would also eliminate all SKIPSTOP service along the (J)(M)and(Z) trains. The (C) would just be a better alternative to the (Z) line.

Skip stop is pretty useful for the folks that live along the line, and they seem to like it. Plus it's only a 50 minute window in the peak direction each rush, so I'd keep it.

I also like SubwayGuy's idea about the (M) running along 8th Ave. The (M) should do that, but not all times. Maybe during rush hours or something.

Well the caveat of the idea is to run the (E)cho express along 8th Ave, but local in Brooklyn to Lefferts. This eliminates the need for trains to cross over at Canal, as the ©harlie would terminate at WTC. Therefore more express AND local service could run, and the (E)cho would still get Queens folks in to the hot spots in Manhattan easily (since the only stops skipped by the (E)cho as an express would be 23rd or Spring, since it stops at 50th LL). However, I don't think one local service is enough with just the ©harlie, and adding the (M)ikey into Manhattan would take some pressure off the overcrowded (L)arry line by providing an alternate "crosstown" route to Manhattan - because that (M)ikey will stop at Essex, Bway Lafayette, W4, and the stops along 8th Ave. And of course net you'd still be par for the course on the local by extending the ©harlie to 10 cars, because you'd still have an 8 and a 10 car service running on the local - because that (M)ikey has to run 8 cars.

The only station that would be hurt by this is Spring St., while many would be helped, including the ones in Brooklyn that would benefit from more frequent service.

You are right though. I don't know how necessary it would be to run that (M)ikey overnight, but definitely during the daytime hours and evenings.

Not to get off topic here, but , R46's will be on the (A) & (C)?

Yup, R46s are going to be transferred to Pitkin and Phase I R32s being sent to Jamaica.

R46s are not going anywhere. It will take the (MTA) a long time to implement CBTC on Queens Boulevard and by then the R46s will have to be (at least in the MTA's eyes) retired.
A transit worker on Subchat said R46s are going to be transferred to Pitkin.

my plans:

R32s and R38's on the C will go to the A line, the C can have the R44

Increase frequency on the weekend since the A is pretty Awful on the weekends, especially when its running local

yea that's pretty much it...

my plans:

R32s and R38's on the C will go to the A line, the C can have the R44

Increase frequency on the weekend since the A is pretty Awful on the weekends, especially when its running local

yea that's pretty much it...

Isn't there a specific reason why r44s are on the (A)pple while r32s and 38s are on the ©harlie?

I know these ideas will never happen, but I would do the following:

1) Make the (C) a full time route and extend it from 168 St-Lefferts Blvd at all times.

2) Make the (C) a 10-Car Train.

3) Run the (A) and (C) more frequently and equally rather than 12 (A) trains to 1 (C) train.

2) Have an (A) train going to 207 St and Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park and get rid of the (S).

3) Use the two abandoned tracks and the third track between Howard Beach and Euclid Av. Make some (A) trains express to/from Euclid Av during Peak Hours (skipping Euclid, Grant, 80, 88, Rockaway and Aqueduct)

4) Build another platform to support southbound service at Aqueduct Racetrack or just demolish the entire station altogether.

The only feasible plan i like was this one. I feel the same about it. Here's my plan!

1) Make the (C) extend to Lefferts Blvd full time.

2) Try to make more (C) train service, cut back on the (A) a little.

3) Rename the (S) the (H) and have it run Beach 116th to Euclid Avenue. (During rush hours, have it go to Hoyt-Schemehorn)

4) Erase Aqueduct off the map and overhaul North Conduit completely.

5)As stated above, add more tracks along that line and make JFK an express station.

6) Rebuilt the 174th Street yard so the (C) can be a 10-Car Train.

Isn't there a specific reason why r44s are on the (A)pple while r32s and 38s are on the ©harlie?

Well here's one thing:

If R44's ran on the ©harlie, since they are 4 car sets they would have to make 8 car trains of 75 footers which is AKA a 10 car train of 60 footers (like the R32 and R38).

Since the ©harlie is an 8 x 60' car train, running a shorter consist of R44's (< 8 cars) is impossible, given that the cars exist in four car sets. And running a 4 x 75' train obviously wouldn't provide enough service.

Couple issues...

3) Rename the (S) the (H) and have it run Beach 116th to Euclid Avenue. (During rush hours, have it go to Hoyt-Schemehorn)

Where at Hoyt is that train going to relay? The tracks from the (G)eorge are in between the Fulton Line tracks...

Also at Euclid, where is THAT train going to relay? It would essentially have to wrong rail on the main line while other trains are "right railing", which is dangerous, and could jack up express service...

5)As stated above, add more tracks along that line and make JFK an express station.

There are express tracks through Howard Beach / JFK, the problem is no platforms (not something that could be easily corrected). Perhaps I'm misreading and you're saying you want to run a train through this stretch of track express? If so, which one?

6) Rebuilt the 174th Street yard so the (C) can be a 10-Car Train.

The 174th street layup yard still exists if it doesnt then where do those (C) trains go when they relay at 168st? And the extra cars can be stored at 207th street yard theres more than enough room there....

I would also eliminate all SKIPSTOP service along the (J)(M)and(Z) trains. QUOTE]

We gotta keep my Skip Stop service, as I live on the (J) line.

I guess the only things I would change is shorter headways on the (A) & (C), especially after hours. I hate waiting for the (A) in the early morning hours. I would run R44's and R46's untill they physically can't run anymore. Then when they got really old, I would rebuild 2 sets to run alongside R160's and R179's forever!

I would also like to make a few more corrections to my previous corrections:

1.) Eliminate all timers along 8th Ave.

2.) Extend the ©harlie from Euclid to Lefferts Blvd. Running at all times.

3.) Leave the (S) how it is (to Rockway Park/Beach 116t street) and maybe change the lettering to (H). Make it a 24/7 route.

4.) (A)pple will travel from 207 (Inwood)-Mott Ave. (Far Rockway) at all times. No additional (A)pple service to Lefferts or Rockway Park.

Well here's one thing:

If R44's ran on the ©harlie, since they are 4 car sets they would have to make 8 car trains of 75 footers which is AKA a 10 car train of 60 footers (like the R32 and R38).

Since the ©harlie is an 8 x 60' car train, running a shorter consist of R44's (< 8 cars) is impossible, given that the cars exist in four car sets. And running a 4 x 75' train obviously wouldn't provide enough service.

Soon, that won't be impossible. The (C) train might be 10 cars long in the near future due to moving around of cars thats gonna happen.

And a 10 car (C) isn't impossible, a 10 car R40 Slant train went out in service on the (C) a few months ago....

Soon, that won't be impossible. The (C) train might be 10 cars long in the near future due to moving around of cars thats gonna happen.

And a 10 car (C) isn't impossible, a 10 car R40 Slant train went out in service on the (C) a few months ago....

if you're referring to THIS...

...it was schoolcar. if not, i stand corrected

Archived