'He was our Capt. Sully!' Passengers heap praise on pilot Jack Conroyd after Delta Flight 4951 scare

Harry

Passengers on the jet that made a miraculous safe landing at JFK compared their icy calm pilot Sunday to Chesley (Sully) Sullenberger, the Hero of the Hudson.

The cool and collected flier at the controls was Navy vet Jack Conroyd, 55, who is being hailed for saving 64 lives by effortlessly landing his crippled jetliner Saturday with its right wheel jammed in the up position.

"He was our 'Capt. Sully,'" said passenger John Predham, referring to Sullenberger, the US Airways pilot who landed in the Hudson River in January 2009, saving all 155 aboard. "I can't wait to see him receive all of the credit he deserves."

Sullenberger weighed in last night, telling the Daily News, "I commend the crew for ensuring a successful outcome for everyone on board."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/27/2010-09-27_passengers_heap_praise_on_own_sully.html#ixzz10jjmTfwe

post-1-133288582189_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582189_thumb.jpg

As much skill as it does take to safely land any big aircraft with malfunctioning landing gear, pulling off a flawless water landing over the largest city in north america with no thrust from dead engines has no equal. Glad to hear everyone is ok though! :eek:

- A

As much skill as it does take to safely land any big aircraft with malfunctioning landing gear, pulling off a flawless water landing over the largest city in north america with no thrust from dead engines has no equal. Glad to hear everyone is ok though! :eek:

- A

That was a truly epic landing indeed.

That was a truly epic landing indeed.

- A

I couldn't agree more. I can't recall a time in aviation history when that has ever happened.

Listen to how calm Sully was!

Pretty much.

I dunno if history will ever make a big deal about this (sully's actions) down the line, but that guy is the most calm and cool headed person i've ever heard on a radio during a crisis. Sure he had the benefit of a somewhat quiet cockpit vs maybe a house fire where the firefighters might have to yell over noises, but, just 100% cool and collected and totally focused on flying the plane while the co-pilot does everything he can to try and re-start the engines. Took an all most certain tragedy and totally saved the day.

Both the flight's crews are/were underpaid and before the incidents largely unappreciated. Airline pilots used to be superstars, now people seem to care more about just getting where they are going, not realizing how amazing air travel has become since that first flight over 100 years ago.

- A

Archived