Writer's admiration of sanitation workers may lead to photography exhibit & book

Harry

There are women who love cops or swoon over firefighters. Then there's Lisa Dowda - a writer and TV producer who fell for sanitation workers while walking home one night three years ago.

A "guy hanging off a truck" in her Sunset Park, Brooklyn, neighborhood asked if she was okay - and a love affair of sorts was born.

Dowda has been "chasing" New York's Strongest ever since with the help from photographer Liz Ligon, chronicling their efforts to clean up the city.

They've collected a series of portraits and stories for a website, Chasingsanitation.com - a digital paean to the men (and women) who do the dirty work.

"I found them beautiful and approachable," Dowda said. "They are people who are funny and friendly and probably know more about your neighborhood than you do."

She is hoping to launch a photo exhibit and book - if she can raise $5,000 on the Web-based funding site Kickstarter by Friday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/21/2010-09-21_trashy_love_tale_her_admiration_of_strongest_may_lead_to_exhibit__book.html#ixzz10jpmF4dH

post-1-133288582194_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582194_thumb.jpg

Good find Harry, I read about them on a DSNY blog online last week.

Even though the uniformed DSNY workforce is being downsized it will never go private in such a large populated city as NYC. I feel bad for all of us on the 6063 list, 2+yrs and only 2 classes of 100 each. The 2 yr list extension is meaningless if deputy mayor Goldsmith plans to reduce headcount to around 3,700, it is around 5,600 now.

Good find Harry, I read about them on a DSNY blog online last week.

Even though the uniformed DSNY workforce is being downsized it will never go private in such a large populated city as NYC. I feel bad for all of us on the 6063 list, 2+yrs and only 2 classes of 100 each. The 2 yr list extension is meaningless if deputy mayor Goldsmith plans to reduce headcount to around 3,700, it is around 5,600 now.

I'm on that same list pal and I tottaly forgot all about it, and it really was a waste of my saturday taking that test and going for that physical oct of 08.

I'm on that same list pal and I tottaly forgot all about it, and it really was a waste of my saturday taking that test and going for that physical oct of 08.

The DSNY physical was a joke and a waste of money as well.

The DCAS workers at the testing facility looked like they just came out of a methadone clinic. Oh yeah and the wait outside on line of the day of the exam was almost 2 hrs for me. It was my 1st civil service exam so I got there way too early.

The DSNY physical was a joke and a waste of money as well.

The DCAS workers at the testing facility looked like they just came out of a methadone clinic. Oh yeah and the wait outside on line of the day of the exam was almost 2 hrs for me. It was my 1st civil service exam so I got there way too early.

I got out of my car once the line started moving, it was a hot june day, and I wasn't waiting on any line. The school was very hot and super crowded. But its over and the'll never call me.

I got out of my car once the line started moving, it was a hot june day, and I wasn't waiting on any line. The school was very hot and super crowded. But its over and the'll never call me.

That is the way to do it with most civil service exams. No need to wait on line, as long as you have the admission notice they will let you in even after there is no line, now I know better. I had the pm session, so it was even worse waiting in the heat outside.

You are still young so you can take the next DSNY exam in 2013 if you want to.

That is the way to do it with most civil service exams. No need to wait on line, as long as you have the admission notice they will let you in even after there is no line, now I know better. I had the pm session, so it was even worse waiting in the heat outside.

You are still young so you can take the next DSNY exam in 2013 if you want to.

Lets see what happens at that time, but I don't see myself working for them. I don't have the motivation anymore after waiting this long for some kind of notice.

Archived