New Yorkers outraged as bureaucrats order city to change lettering on every single street sign

Harry

Do you believe changing the lettering on all NYC street signs will improve safety?  

1. 1. Do you believe changing the lettering on all NYC street signs will improve safety?

• Yes. Drivers will be able to identify the words on the signs more quickly
    • No. It's a ridiculous waste of money

As a driver, I have to say I disagree. The new signs catch my attention everytime and I can actually see the letters better under the new font because they letters are spaced a little more than the capital lettered ones and it doesn't look as mashed up as the older signs.

The signs I REALLY like are the ones they've put attached to the street lights that are almost dead center to the road. Now those WORK!

I am a driver too. if the economy was in better shape, that one thing. However every penny counts and this is example IMO of 'pork project' that could have waited. Or at least the Feds aka USDOT pay for these upgrades.:tdown:

If they wanted to get fancy, they should have put up led lit street signs, at least it would look cool.

Internally illuminated signs is a really great way to help people see where places are. There are a few here and there in this area, and it absolutely makes a difference. One of the traffic light sets also have flashing white LED's across the middle of the red to get people's attention. This combination could be effective in helping people get where they are going safely and without as much confusion. The signs could have solar cells on the top or on the poll to offset their energy usage, but you could also use LED lights so you could capture enough energy to offset and add back to the grid.

- A

But yet many long island towns have nonstandard signs, Town of North Hempstead has tiny signs in helvetica font not even the highway font, and town of hempstead recently went from really tiny signs with these silver edges to bigger signs in this unidentifyable font, looks like clearview but isnt. Town of Oyster Bay has probably closest to proper highway standards and the villages that put signs up are the worst offenders, particularly the north shore with those street names on a stick.

What the hell is wrong with the people in charge today? Wasting money on needless bullshit. And the point of replacing every GOT DANG STREET SIGN!? All these retards wasting the public's money. They're making the MTA's financial ways a city-wide thing. Spend the needed money where it's not needed. Overlords of the city, please put down the crack pipe.

yeah lets spend money we dont have..unbelievable...This country is pretty dumb..Now I know why the rest of the world makes fun of us.. Its because of idiotic things like this..It makes no difference if the letters are all in caps or not..

The Chinese are probably laughing. There is no letter casing in Chinese…

^^ I have a friend down in tampa that says the same thing about drivers down in florida... it's all about bravado while driving... who got the most cajones (so to speak) to do whatever while on the road... jaywalking/crossing the street in front of "their" car is frowned upon; not uncommon to hear ppl. sayin "get the f*** of the road, ese", and similar statements... driving on a one lane road like they're on a 5 lane freeway... I busted out laughing when he said that....

Yup, the one time I drove down in Florida, there were some pretty bad ones down there.

I do like being able to drive faster down there. I often drive fast but safe. The frequent lane changes are very dangerous, and I can't stand the people that do them, and the ones that insist on passing on the right. If you want to go fast just go in the left and stay there until a mile before your exit. Also can't stand the idiots that drive in your blind spot. I can see them but it's just bad driving to do that.

I thought the city was low in money, so where did they find it to spend on such ridiculous regulation??? Isn't it funny how gov't and companies say they are broke and yet able to spend millions more on stupid things.

Government is run very stupidly, and the public doesn't help:

If there is a surplus, people insist the money must be spent because "the government is stealing our money"

So spending increases, on a lot of stupid things.

Now there are bad times and suddenly a deficit appears. Politicians want to get re-elected so they refuse to cut spending, and hem and haw about raising taxes, ultimately doing nothing. But they've got to give the people something, so they increase spending...slightly, but they increase it.

So the deficit gets worse.

Then someone comes along and balances the budget by cutting out a lot of spending (usually the important stuff) and raising taxes. That person almost never gets re-elected. The stupid stuff continues to be funded.

The deficit starts to go away.

The next guy comes in and realizes that he can do nothing and let the budget balance. A few passionate speeches and everyone loves him thinking he balanced the budget, and *what a nice guy* he did it without raising our taxes like the other "jerk" did.

The deficit goes away and becomes a surplus again.

The people demand more spending on superfluous bullshit. And get it, and the cycle repeats.

That's another frame in which you can view US history.

I'm one of the members here who supports the change. The reason is this.

Iconic or not, reading words in all caps is actually much, much harder to read.

Read a sentence like this.

READ A SENTENCE LIKE THIS.

What's easier to read? Most of the time, it's the sentence with less caps. We people don't actually read the whole letterforms; we read part of them, and they give clues as to what the next letter or word can be. Caps don't do this, while lowercase letters do. Words with LC letterforms have more of a flow in them than words with all uppercase. It's one of the reasons why many companies op with logos or wordmarks with lowercase letters like Citibank and Nickelodeon.

Is it going to approve safety altogether? Of course not. But I think it actually will a little bit more because ALL CAPS are very in-your-face and more difficult to read.

Lets remember- This is being done as signs come up for replacement

We would be spending this money anyway.

Yeah, but they would not be replacing them in one fell swoop, so to speak. The progression they are using is irrelevant. Although the signs are rated for 10 years, is it possible we can get more out of them and put the money elsewhere? You know how humans are, next someone will want to replace the all CAPS on buildings and offices so nobody goes to the wrong job!

I'm one of the members here who supports the change. The reason is this.

Iconic or not, reading words in all caps is actually much, much harder to read.

Read a sentence like this.

READ A SENTENCE LIKE THIS.

What's easier to read? Most of the time, it's the sentence with less caps. We people don't actually read the whole letterforms; we read part of them, and they give clues as to what the next letter or word can be. Caps don't do this, while lowercase letters do. Words with LC letterforms have more of a flow in them than words with all uppercase. It's one of the reasons why many companies op with logos or wordmarks with lowercase letters like Citibank and Nickelodeon.

Is it going to approve safety altogether? Of course not. But I think it actually will a little bit more because ALL CAPS are very in-your-face and more difficult to read.

good devils advocate argument, buuuuut..... I see holes in it, I'm sorry....

I'll say that, yeah... a paragraph with lowercase letters is easier to read...

however, a sentence with uppercase letters is easier to read....

why do you think when people make statements on the internets for added emphasis, they hit the caps lock & type away...

why do you think advertisements you see on the street are posted in either uppercaseand/or block lettering - to GRAB YOUR ATTENTION.

see how that worked.

I guarantee you that you'll get fewer people that'll stop & gawk at some sign that may be in a window, if it's written in lowercase letters (as opposed to uppercase letters

if someone hands me their business card or w/e, trying to promote their company, and the name of their company is written in lowercase letters, I'm not taking it seriously...

getting back on topic a bit....

If your goal is to have people squinting to see what street they're possibly trying to turn on, from the same distance they would've saw that same street sign if it were left the hell alone when it was uppercase, then mission accomplished, the way I see it.

Somebody needs to slap Bloomberg in the head with a lower case d for dickhead. Another blatant example of BIG GOVERNMENT wasting our hard earned extorted tax dollars on nonsense in a time of alleged fiscal crisis. Don't these numbskulls realize that not too long ago in this country a huge war was initiated due to the same practices? God Bless and protect our second Amendment because we may very well have to utilize it soon. This GREAT COUNTRY is overdue for a purge.;)

Archived