Investigation over dirty cars in NYC Subway.

Queens Surface

There's no defense for people not doing his/her job. If they pay you to clean cars you don't text, read papers, or socialize, period. That being said New York subway and bus riders are among the nastiest people in the transit systems in the U.S. that I've seen or read about. Half eaten bagels, breakfast and lunch sandwiches, coffee cups, soda and beer cans, urine and feces in the cars and platforms. None of this grows on the system. It's put there by nasty riders. IMO if you want a cleaner system ban all foodstuff from the system like other cities do. Fine violators $250 for a first offense and double it with community service for repeat offenders. Then watch how fast these nasty people learn to change that nasty behavior. Why anyone would eat a meal in an atmosphere that's only slightly cleaner than a public restroom never ceases to amaze me. Ride a NTT someday and look up at the vents in the roof of the car. Better still, run a swiffer cloth along those vents.Then think about what you've ingested. I'd bet that most riders have never thought about the atmosphere on a train but most workers know that if you wear a white paper mask over your nose it will be filthy by days end. To eat or drink something ranks high on the stupidity index IMO.

IAWTP! :cool: also you make a very strong point and provide facts. I definitley agree with the $250 fine ;) that could actually make the (MTA) more money

IAWTP! :cool: also you make a very strong point and provide facts. I definitley agree with the $250 fine :P that could actually make the (MTA) more money

Last time I checked it's not the MTA collecting the monetary fines, but I could be wrong.

Last time I checked it's not the MTA collecting the monetary fines, but I could be wrong.

I really don't care who collects the fine money , the city or the (MTA). My beef is with the nasty people who ride the trains. I'll bet every C/R or T/O out here can relate to the experience of coffee, soda, or worse, rolling under the cab door. This can happen on a brand spankin' clean train fresh from the yard or terminal. I'd love to see a summons issued to anyone eating or drinking anything (babies excepted), because there is no reason for using a bus or subway car as a cafeteria. There is no justifiable reason for me to have to travel from terminal to terminal with spilled coffee,beer, soda, urine, soiling my cab or shoes. If it's 100 degrees outside I wouldn't complain too much about water as it may relate to a health issue but let NYPD and the court decide that. Otherwise I say let's start fining the slobs out there so not everyone has to suffer because of the inconsiderate people.

IIRC, aren't open beverages already prohibited...

oh, wait, yes they are;

12th down on the list

Part of the problem is people spend some much time rushing around, the subway is the only place they're still long enough to enjoy whatever they're carrying. It's like at my college. every room has a sign "No eating, no drinking, no smoking". everyone just outright ignores the first two.

That's no excuse. Let's see if they think $250 is worth breaking the rules. I'd love to be the one who passes judgement in " transit court".

Archived