The Boeing 797 and beyond

What will it be? In my honest opinion, I think the 797 will be the successor to the 737, which needs to be replaced soon if Boeing wants to keep a stronghold on the narrowbody market. The 737 is the #1 sales leader in the history of commercial aviation. Boeing's new narrowbody will also replace the 757, and compete with Airbus to replace aging A320 series aircraft.

Some of Boeing's product development engineers, the men and women who are secretly working on the company's jetliners of the future, enjoy old airplanes of the past, just like most airplane fans. And one of those old jets is a de Havilland Comet that is being restored by the Museum of Flight at Paine Field in Everett.

A person working on the Comet reports that some of the product development engineers who have been in to look at the world's first commercial jetliner of the 1950s have mentioned that they are working with Southwest Airlines on the 797.

Say what? Boeing's last jetliner was the 777, with the 787 now in development. So what's the 797?

It's no secret that Boeing has a significant number of its product development people studying a replacement for the 737. And Southwest is one of the airlines pushing Boeing to develop such a plane. Southwest is the world's largest 737 operator. It is the only model the airline flys.

But Boeing has not yet said what that 737 replacement will be called. It figures to be the 797, though. assuming Boeing sticks to the numbering system that has been used for all its jets, starting with the 707.

Boeing has said little about the 737 replacement, only that it would probably enter service sometime in 2012-2014. Like the 787 Dreamliner, the 737 replacement will have have a composite airframe. Boeing is trying to get its arms around the market for the 737 replacement, which will help it decide, along with airlines, how many passengers such a plane would seat. That's likely to be more than the current 737, since the new plane will replace not only the 737 but the 757, a single-aisle jet seats over 200 passengers.

If the 737 replacement is called the 797, then what would Boeing's next all-new jet after the 797 would be called?Although its developemnt is unlikely until well into the next decade, some of the Boeing product development folks are already studying a replacement for the 777, according to sources. Will Boeing continue its jetliner numbeing system with an 800-designation, perhaps the 808? Or how about the 888 as a replacement for the 777?

http://blog.seattlepi.com

As of right now, any 737 replacement is considered to be under the Boeing Y1 (Yellowstone 1) designation. Though the replacement will probably be refereed to as the 797.

Anything that replaces the Boeing 777 will be under the Boeing Yellowstone Y3 designation, which aims to replace the 747 and 777 lines. As for that replacement, I don't see anything replacing that popular widebody fleet in the near future, unless the A350 proves to be a formidable challenger (which I don't see until the 2020s).

Anything that replaces these two popular models of planes have to be top notch aircrafts, that make Airbus models look like junk. So far, the 787 is popular, yet risky given the new technology. Hopefully this aircraft model's popularity will be indicative of the entire Yellowstone Project.

As of right now, any 737 replacement is considered to be under the Boeing Y1 (Yellowstone 1) designation. Though the replacement will probably be refereed to as the 797.

Anything that replaces the Boeing 777 will be under the Boeing Yellowstone Y3 designation, which aims to replace the 747 and 777 lines. As for that replacement, I don't see anything replacing that popular widebody fleet in the near future, unless the A350 proves to be a formidable challenger (which I don't see until the 2020s).

Anything that replaces these two popular models of planes have to be top notch aircrafts, that make Airbus models look like junk. So far, the 787 is popular, yet risky given the new technology. Hopefully this aircraft model's popularity will be indicative of the entire Yellowstone Project.

Agreed! I think Boeing will introduce a 777-400, and -500 to challenge the A350 at the high end, and have the 787-9 challenge it at the low end. I also think the A350 will be plagued with problems much like those of the 787, and A380. I don't see Airbus' approach to building this new aircraft being as smooth as they would like to think it will be. And the 777 updates will only come after the A350 is more defined. Now if the plane proves to be an excellent platform, Boeing will definitely have to replace the 777 with an all new airfraft. But if I was in charge of the 777 update program, I would re-engine with the GEnx, and Rolls-Royce T1000, replace the wing with an all composite design, and make a few other minor, yet weight saving changes.

Archived