The Nostalgia Thread

R32 3348

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about some brand new R12s from the company called ACF and a Redbirds on the 5 line. Could somebody confirm if the third pic is either an R26-29 car that received an R17 storm door or is it one of the rare 16 R17s that were painted in the redbird paint scheme before being retired in two months from the date the picture was taken? Thank you.

img_114709.jpg

img_114710.jpg

img_114716.jpg

The 3rd picture is an R26-R29 with an R17 storm door.

It actually is an R17. One of the R17s painted red before being retired. The cars in front of the R17 are either R26-33s. I don't think any cars in the redbird fleet had their number plates lowered. Me and the Webmaster were talking about this and he did in fact say it had to be and R17 so he changed it.

The picture was taken in 1987,by that time most of the R17 were retired.a few of the cars were even painted in fox red.were they all retired in 1987 or 1988?

The 3rd picture is an R26-R29 with an R17 storm door.

It actually is an R17. One of the R17s painted red before being retired. The cars in front of the R17 are either R26-33s. I don't think any cars in the redbird fleet had their number plates lowered. Me and the Webmaster were talking about this and he did in fact say it had to be and R17 so he changed it.

What's the date of the photo? Actually the R26-R29's as delivered had the lowered number plates. They weren't raised until sometime near GOH. Of course if you're going to rely on nycsubway, that's where things can get hairy because there are not many photos taken between 1983 and 1990 on that site.

Looking underneath the cars, I can barely make out what appear to be motor generator sets underneath the car. So this tells me it's either an R17 or an R26-R29 that hasn't been through GOH. During GOH the 26/28/29's got their MG sets replaced with modern inverters. That's why the date could be important. If this was early 1988, for example, that would tell you the cars had to be R17's because by '88 GOH had been finished on the 26/8/9s, so they'd all have inverters. End result: inconclusive

The date it was taken was 12/26/1987. Two months before the R17s retired. Weren't the R17s painted red mixed with both rebuilt and unrebuilt R26-29s on the (5) until their retirement? http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?114716

Ah OK, that helps. At the very end (around the time the photo was said to be taken in Dec 1987), only the GE cars were on the (5). They did not mix them with other 26/29's by that point IINM, but they did mix them with unrebuilt R33ML cars. This means that car must be an R17. R33's got their overhauls later (86-90), so perhaps a few of the cars on the train are R33's. But the one in the foreground would be an R17.