The Nostalgia Thread

R32 3348

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you say the same for Redbirds, R44s, and R38s? :(

Yes, unless there pre GOH photos. Hell the R44s just came out of service and are not even officially retired as a car class. School car still has to break in new T/Os on the R44s just in case they see service this summer.

Question do you think the GOH program even though necessary kind of ruined the looks of the R32-46 cars?

I don't think so with the redbirds since not much was changed appearance wise other then the paint scheme. But I did think it killed the look of the R40M and R42s, the R40 slants already looked like crap and GOH made them look better. The R44/46, they came out looking ok, the only thing they really lost was the blue stripe.

There is only eight left in existence. 4280-4281 are saved for preservation and their are six others being used as school cars. One pair is at the East New York yard, another pair is at Concourse, and finally a pair at the Rockaway Park yard.

ENY doesn't have an R40 slant,that set went to another yard or was scrapped.

It probably went to another yard. They have picture of it in early 2009. Don't know if it was scrapped or not, but it's listed as a school car and I pretty much don't know when was the last time that sheet was updated.

There are eight pairs of Slants left on property: two pairs (four cars) at Concurse, one pair (two cars) at Rockaway Park, and one pair for the transit museum.

Oh, so they're only like classrooms! I thought they learnt how to drive those types of cars in them.

Why would they use them to teach new employees how to operate equipment that's no longer used? Plus, almost all of the school cars can't move under their own power since parts have been taken from them.