The Nostalgia Thread

R32 3348

OK to square the confusion:

There are "school cars" that are stored in yards and used as classrooms. They are not operated by students in the class, they are just used for classroom space to teach them the course.

The course, is called "schoolcar".

When the class is ready to begin learning using real equipment, the instructors take them out with actual subway trains to practice. These cars are also referred to as "schoolcars" and do not take on passengers obviously since their crews are practicing under supervision.

When INDman says the "Schoolcars" are going, he is referring to the ones in yards which are used as classrooms.

However "schoolcar" as a course will continue to be taught.

And part of that course will still involve practicing on real equipment.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those R16s tied the R10s level for the biggest lemons in the system. Despite that fact I still like the R16s. They along with their cousin the R10s were much better in the 1960s. Didn't R16s get transferred all over the system by the late 1960s and early 1970s? Was that due to the Arnines that were braking down and experiencing problems?

The R10s were not lemons. They were just never meant to run that long, and were not properly maintained throughout their service life.

75 St-Elderts Lane

img_2934.jpg

A little off topic but my mom's friend said that "back in the day" he used to be part of a gang in which he had fights with another gang from this school as seen in the background (Franklin K. Lane). He said that him and others used to break into the cabs and use the PA system to say random crap that would upset the other gang, which would start fights. He's currently a police officer.

I go to one of the four new schools located in this huge building. The four new schhols are here to stay. However Franklin K. Lane, the school is being phased out. Interesting fact from wiki:

At the time Franklin K. Lane High School was built, it was one of the largest high school buildings in the world. Each of the four floors is one-quarter mile; walking four times around one floor equals one mile.

75 St-Elderts Lane

img_2934.jpg

A little off topic but my mom's friend said that "back in the day" he used to be part of a gang in which he had fights with another gang from this school as seen in the background (Franklin K. Lane). He said that him and others used to break into the cabs and use the PA system to say random crap that would upset the other gang, which would start fights. He's currently a police officer.

I go to one of the four new schools located in this huge building. The four new schhols are here to stay. However Franklin K. Lane, the school is being phased out. Interesting fact from wiki:

K.Lane and Transit tech used to always stay scrappin since the 1970s.I remember when I was in transit,I witnessed a mob from lane set on a mob from transit.It was like a scene out of "The Warriors"

Yep, like Judge Mathis!

Agreed!

K.Lane and Transit tech used to always stay scrappin since the 1970s.I remember when I was in transit,I witnessed a mob from lane set on a mob from transit.It was like a scene out of "The Warriors"

I still here that fights still go on between the two occasionally. Wish I witnessed some of them...:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

There are eight pairs of Slants left on property: two pairs (four cars) at Concurse, one pair (two cars) at Rockaway Park, and one pair for the transit museum.

Maybe they should take the four cars at concourse and couple them with 4392/4392 from Roackaway Park and use them for excursion runs while 4280/4281 sit at the TM with the other car models. Now talk about nostalgia on the move these days!