Myrtle Ave Abandoned?

42 St Lcl

A:It's spelled Abandoned

B:The Myrtle Avenue station was abandoned when the Dekalb Avenue station was lengthened so therefore it destroyed the use of the Myrtle Avenue station. The station's Brooklyn bound platform was destroyed for trains. Though the Manhattan bound one survives and belongs to an artist which paints the walls for artwork.

Well the OP could also be referring to the Myrtle Ave on the BMT Broadway-Bklyn line, in which that station once had an upper level platform that served the Myrtle Ave. Elevated, which once ran all the way to Downtown Brooklyn, which actually had a station near Flatbush Avenue, in which people could transfer to the subway going over the Manhattan Bridge. The Subway station was named Myrtle Avenue, the station everyone else was referring to.

When the Myrtle Av. El was cut back to Broadway in its current configuration, there was no need for the upper level tracks and platform there, so it was abandoned.

Though the Manhattan bound one survives and belongs to an artist which paints the walls for artwork.

MassTransitScope, that art work at the old Myrtle Avenue station on the approach to the Manhattan Bridge. It was cleaned up in 2008 and covered up. When I seen it for the first time, the covers were off and the lights were on.

Well the OP could also be referring to the Myrtle Ave on the BMT Broadway-Bklyn line, in which that station once had an upper level platform that served the Myrtle Ave. Elevated, which once ran all the way to Downtown Brooklyn, which actually had a station near Flatbush Avenue, in which people could transfer to the subway going over the Manhattan Bridge. The Subway station was named Myrtle Avenue, the station everyone else was referring to.

When the Myrtle Av. El was cut back to Broadway in its current configuration, there was no need for the upper level tracks and platform there, so it was abandoned.

I think it would be cool if that were renovated to be used when the (M) is a shuttle. That would eliminate (J) train traffic in that area.

The stations cross at an angle with no mezz space inbetween, unlike at Broadway junction. There is no place to put anything other than a staircase, which will have the ADA people in a tizzy.

An elevator could fit.

Can Someone Explain How Myrtle Ave Is Abadon?

On October 4, 1969, Myrtle Avenue El service was ended between Bridge-Jay Streets Terminal and Myrtle Avenue.

The last cars to run on Myrtle Avenue were the Q Cars. They were sixty-six years old at the time the Myrtle Avenue El was closed.

As elevated cars, they could not display the route and when Myrtle Avenue was assigned MJ, it was a map bullet only. The color was magenta like 70(4), 70(AA), and 70(F).

Myrtle Avenue wasn't abandoned entirely - between Broadway and Metropolitan Avenue, the structure was strong enough to carry subway cars and continues to be served by the (M).

Between Broadway and Flatbush Avenue, Myrtle Avenue is served by the B54. (B54)

Myrtle Avenue Upper Level is a reminder of what once was. The trackways carry no track, third rails or signals.

The Myrtle Avenue El was at her peak until World War II and originally began at Park Row before first being cut back to Sands Street and finally to Bridge-Jay Streets Terminal. There was a paper transfer between the (MJ) and 70(A) 70(E) and 70(F) at Jay Street-Borough Hall.

Guest lance25

Just out of curiosity, where there ever any plans to dismantle the upper level after the rest of the line south of Broadway was torn down?

I seriously suggest you admit yourself to Bellevue as soon as possible. What you are saying with the (D) and the (T) would never happen. I don't know whats wrong with you, but go to Bellevue right now. This is were the (T) is going to run if you are too dumb to know. I don't know where you get your facts. I hope you go straight to Bellevue after this.

Second_Avenue_Subway_Map.jpg

There's no point to drag this on forever. Aahd is too dumb to realize his own nonsense, that's a fact. What even amazes me is that he thought that we weren't going to realize who he really was at all, when in fact we always knew the answer.

Let him continue to fantasize his own crap because at the end of the day, it will never come true. The (T) runs with the (1), the (6)<6> goes to Coney Island... yeah talk about brilliant.

Did I mention how much he spammed this place? But then again, his stupidity says it all.

Archived