How Can I Make A Subway Map?

42 St Lcl

If you're using Paint, I find that Michael Calgano's map (the one at nycsubway.org) is a lot easier to edit while still having it look all nice and pretty (which is a function of it being more of a schematic-style and less geographically accurate, all straight lines, etc.). Of course, the problem with doing that is that he specifically asks you not to on the website.

If you have expensive software (something like Adobe that can work with PDF or SVG files), then by all means go with the MTA map, or create your own from scratch like Tokkemon did. I attempted to do that myself, but with Inkscape I only got about halfway through the Bronx before it crashed under the weight of all the objects.

I attempted to do that myself, but with Inkscape I only got about halfway through the Bronx before it crashed under the weight of all the objects.

I tried using Inkscape, and I got a few lessons out of it:

Delete all the bus bubbles first.

Save frequently.

It still crashed occasionally though.

Edit this using Paint... or make your own map.

OH GOD PLEASE DON'T DO THAT. Maps like that, unless you spend an extreme amount of time to make it look like it was originally part of it, will look like an utter mess. Use the Calcagno Map found here. It's much easier to edit and takes far less time.

OH GOD PLEASE DON'T DO THAT. Maps like that, unless you spend an extreme amount of time to make it look like it was originally part of it, will look like an utter mess. Use the Calcagno Map found here. It's much easier to edit and takes far less time.

On his site, Calcagno specifically asks you NOT to do that!

Calcagno created a blank map which he allows people to use and create fantasy maps out of. I created a blank template out the map using Microsoft Paint. As long as you aren't lazy then you can create something like the template.

yourmapblank.gif?t=1287012474

Link:http://images.nycsubway.org/maps/yourmap.gif

On his site, Calcagno specifically asks you NOT to do that!

Where does it say that? I've looked on the Historical Maps section and each individual map and haven't found anything. I always leave his copyright that he put in the map intact, which should be fine.

Is it rude and insensitive to his wishes? Probably. But is it legally fine? I'm not a lawyer, but I would imagine so. A couple of points:

1. We're not really talking about reproduction rights here. That is, we're not reproducing his map unedited, putting it up on a website, and intending to sell it or otherwise make money off it. We're talking about having a little fun with it. Parody and fan fiction are generally safe from copyright law, particularly when no money changes hands.
  2. Why on earth would it be okay to edit the official MTA map (also copyrighted), but not Calgano's?

Like I said, ideally the best option is to make one from scratch, but we're not all graphic designers, and we don't all want to lay down a couple hundred bucks just to make a map. We just want to have a little fun here.

If you are careful and don't do a half-assed job on the MTA map, it can be done using MS Paint.

I sure hope that Calcagno never discovers this website or is browsing it right now or you guys are going to be in serious trouble with a bunch of lawyers because if he is a graphic artist he is bound to have lots of money or maybe even a corporation.

But it's okay to edit the MTA's copyrighted map because we know they don't have any money? *rimshot*

Maybe we shouldn't what if they sue this website for all they have got? Calcagno made a free map that I posted a page ago why not everyone just use that. I edited the map and made a template if anyone can use picture manager I am sure they can just add the stations bullets and serivces and they have got themselves a map.

Like I said, ideally the best option is to make one from scratch, but we're not all graphic designers, and we don't all want to lay down a couple hundred bucks just to make a map. We just want to have a little fun here.

I'll repeat, I made my map for a grand total of $0.00. GIMP is free. Get it!

Or do what SubwayWeekender and I do:

Use the official MTA map, trace all the lines, retype all the text, delete the MTA map, and modify as you see fit! Don't copy colors except for the subway lines themselves, and of course don't copy fonts. If you don't have Illustrator, this is not easy though. Another editor with layers and path points/smoothing would work too.

An example with an LIRR map:

http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23944

I don't know about copying the MTA map and them suing about copyright issues, but it's not like you are selling and trying to make a profit off of it. But in any case, I just don't bother making fantasy maps anymore. I just have no interest in it anymore.

Exactly my point. Fantasy maps - in my eyes - aren't copyright infringement. (I am interested in a lawyer's opinion, though. Reading Wikipedia articles on copyright law makes my brain hurt, and probably isn't the best source anyway.) Also, that line on nycsubway.org doesn't actually say not to edit it and make a fantasy map, it says "reproduction rights", which I believe refers to reposting it somewhere unedited - the way websites for restaurants, theatres, etc will have an image from Google Maps on their website to show their location. Fantasy maps (derivative works) would be an entirely different branch of copyright law.

But thanks for the tip, Tokkemon. I'll look into GIMP and see if I can get it to hold up better than Inkscape.

I actually have a problem in the construction of my fantasy map. I don't know how to add the stations names, the services that stop there, or the bullets can anyone help me here?.

Depends on what your issue is... It should be as simple as using Paint's pencil (or paintbrush) and text tools. But if you're adding new lines, you might run into issues with space pretty quickly. You may want to stretch the image about 1.5 times before you start.

Speaking of derivative works though, that base map is really just a clone of the 1967 MTA map... ;-)

Trust me on this, it's the best advice I can give:

-Press Control Alt Delete.

-Click the power logo in the bottom right and shut down your computer

-Go out and live your life in the real world

-Start by talking to a pretty girl

Ah, so he should do exactly what you're doing, right? :)

Archived