How Can I Make A Subway Map?

42 St Lcl

Trust me on this, it's the best advice I can give:

-Press Control Alt Delete.

-Click the power logo in the bottom right and shut down your computer

-Go out and live your life in the real world

-Start by talking to a pretty girl

You can worry about your subway map in retirement.

I know this might be controversial, but this is a railfan forum. Please don't preach your criticism of his hobbies here, that's not the atmosphere we want to create.

I just want to get this out there...

Fantasy map makers are editing the map for entertainment purposes only, and are not making ANY profit off of them whatsoever. Also, that copyright line is only on the map Calcagno did to reflect the June subway changes, and does not appear on any other one he did. I didn't even see that until someone pointed it out because I only looked at the historical maps.

Just to clarify, I think every one of Calgano's maps says © Michael Calgano on it, either in the bottom left corner or at the bottom of the black box in the top left corner.

The sentence "Please note: We do not allow reproduction rights of our map. Please don't ask." appears on the webpage of the current map, not on the map itself. (And it's always been there, long before June.)

But I don't think editing it to make a fantasy map and posting it to a forum just to have a bit of fun is what reproduction rights means. Usually reproduction rights refers to reproducing something unedited for financial gain. It's often used in the art community to refer to prints of artwork, etc. This != that.

I sure hope that Calcagno never discovers this website or is browsing it right now or you guys are going to be in serious trouble with a bunch of lawyers because if he is a graphic artist he is bound to have lots of money or maybe even a corporation.

Not likely.

Of course, you could always try and ask. However, I don't think Calcagno really wants to be bothered by tons of railfans who want to use his map as a base template.

"Hi there, I just redesigned your map and published it at nyctransitforums.com. Is that OK with you?"

"Hi! Can I use your map to indulge in my own fantasies and publish it at nyctransitforums.com?"

"Mr Calcagno I wantz to uuz ur mapz. Plz send me teh mapz plz. okthxbye".

Instead, there are lots of alternatives that can be used freely. Anyone could use my map, for instance (it's a svg file, great for editing in Illustrator, Inkscape or GIMP), as long as you properly attribute it (see Licensing).

Okay,now i have a problem.Im tring to extened (T) and (U) To bedfrod pk but my (9) Is blocking the way.(9) was extened to bedford pk but its covering up most of (U) and (T).I have also two (M) s.One is (Mx) the other one (M),and 70(M).but teh 3 of them dont fit they keep on blocking the (J) and (L) line.

There is no need for a (9) service. The (T) and the (U) once again are in BMT/IND specifications the (9) was an IRT specification it's impossible to merge them to Bedford. Only the (T) can get to the Bronx anyway because it's impossible to have more then 2 services run on a 2 track configuration. It would cause serious delays and backup. The (U) should use the 63rd Street Tunnel for the creation of a Laguardia Airport or Queens Super Express Line. The (T) should run along the Metro North right of way on a new 2 track extension to Norwood 205 St. Anyway why the hell is there 3 (M)'s. There is a reason why services are given the same letter to avoid confusion. That's why when they shut down the Manhattan Bridge for repairs in 2003 the (;), (D), and (Q6Av) became the (W), (Q), <Q>. Why the hell would there be 3 (M)'s. Like I told you. The Jamaica El is 2 or three tracked. They won't be able to handle anymore then the (J), (M), and (Z). There is no need for the (Mx). The (Z) could be extended to the West End instead. There's no need for a teal (M) that was the old map's color for the brown (Mx). Why would there even be a second or third (M). There are still extra letters which are the (H), (I), (K), (O), (P), (V), (W), (X), and (Y).

There is no need for a (9) service. The (T) and the (U) once again are in BMT/IND specifications the (9) was an IRT specification it's impossible to merge them to Bedford. Only the (T) can get to the Bronx anyway because it's impossible to have more then 2 services run on a 2 track configuration. It would cause serious delays and backup. The (U) should use the 63rd Street Tunnel for the creation of a Laguardia Airport or Queens Super Express Line. The (T) should run along the Metro North right of way on a new 2 track extension to Norwood 205 St. Anyway why the hell is there 3 (M)'s. There is a reason why services are given the same letter to avoid confusion. That's why when they shut down the Manhattan Bridge for repairs in 2003 the (;), (D), and (Q6Av) became the (W), (Q), <Q>. Why the hell would there be 3 (M)'s. Like I told you. The Jamaica El is 2 or three tracked. They won't be able to handle anymore then the (J), (M), and (Z). There is no need for the (Mx). The (Z) could be extended to the West End instead. There's no need for a teal (M) that was the old map's color for the brown (Mx). Why would there even be a second or third (M). There are still extra letters which are the (H), (I), (K), (O), (P), (V), (W), (X), and (Y).

Seriously, wouldn't that make it your fantasy map if you give him all of the line extensions and routes?

Does anyone else want to comment on his alphabet soup?

Seriously, wouldn't that make it your fantasy map if you give him all of the line extensions and routes?

Does anyone else want to comment on his alphabet soup?

Does he even have his own work? Like anything SAS related he's always posting something from someone else's site.

I understand the part of 'illustrating the point', but come on... do something on your own or just reference something.

Archived