B44 +SelectBusService+

Iamthe1

Dumb question:

@BrooklynBus:

I know the bus lane will eat up a driving lane, but if it's any consolation, during Rush Hours one of the two parking lanes will be used as a driving lane. So, the only time there will truly be only one driving lane will be during middays. And the bus lanes are only in effect Weekdays from 7 AM - 7 PM anyway.

I thought that may be the case because I believe now in rush hours, the parking lane will be used as a driving lane. But how will that work? The parking lane would have to become the bus lane during rush hours which is okay with me, but I don't see hoe they will mark the lanes then. How could you have a bus lane sandwiched in between two driving lanes? Cars would have to be allowed to cross the bus lane to make turns. Would that be considered as driving in the bus lane by the police if you get in but cars don't let you out?

And what are the hours of the lane between Avenue X and Emmons? I've seen until 10 PM, until 7 PM and only morning or evening rush hour in peak direction depending on where you look. Does the MTA even know?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought that may be the case because I believe now in rush hours, the parking lane will be used as a driving lane. But how will that work? The parking lane would have to become the bus lane during rush hours which is okay with me, but I don't see hoe they will mark the lanes then. How could you have a bus lane sandwiched in between two driving lanes? Cars would have to be allowed to cross the bus lane to make turns. Would that be considered as driving in the bus lane by the police if you get in but cars don't let you out?

And what are the hours of the lane between Avenue X and Emmons? I've seen until 10 PM, until 7 PM and only morning or evening rush hour in peak direction depending on where you look. Does the MTA even know?

I'm not sure about the hours of the Sheepshead Bay bus lane. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the curbside parking lane that will be used as a driving lane during rush hours will be located on the far left side of the street, far away from the bbus lane. It should look something like this:

Rush Hours:

----------------------------------------

Sidewalk

Driving lane -->

Driving lane -->

Bus Lane -->

Parking Lane

----------------------------------------------------------

Sidewalk

------------------------------------------------------------

Middays:

Sidewalk

Parking Lane

Driving lane -->

Bus Lane -->

Parking Lane

Sidewalk

All other times:

Sidewalk

Parking Lane

Driving lane -->

Driving Lane -->

Parking Lane

Sidewalk

Now I understand. That looks okay for Nostrand and Rogers during rush hours when because they are one-way. But it couldn't work that way in Sheepshead Bay. The driving lane would also have to be the left turn lane which would be disastrous. Of course left turns could be banned at those four intersections which would mean the bus lane would be clogged with a lot of right turns.

Dumb question: Do you mean July of 2011 or July of 2012?

We are definitely stopping at Ave D/Newkirk Ave. On page 10 of this powerpoint, Ave D/Newkirk is shown among the list of stops. Also, at the Open House back in October or November (yes, I actually forgot which month it was) the poster given out showed the new stop on the updated map. The problem is that the DOT's main B44 BRT page uses the original route map that doesn't have Ave D/Newkirk listed as a stop. They simply haven't gotten around to updating it.

Also, I don't see why the MTA would cut the B49. I know they're trying to save money, but still. Also, it'd be stupid. After all, the best way to justify the creation of a bus lane is to cut service that could potentially use it, don't ya know ;)

@BrooklynBus:

I know the bus lane will eat up a driving lane, but if it's any consolation, during Rush Hours one of the two parking lanes will be used as a driving lane. So, the only time there will truly be only one driving lane will be during middays. And the bus lanes are only in effect Weekdays from 7 AM - 7 PM anyway.

Ack. I just realized the northbound stop should actually be Rogers Avenue & Foster Avenue. Otherwise people coming off the B8 coming from Brownsville and East Flatbush will have to walk all the way up to Rogers & D from Foster & Rogers or from Nostrand & Newkirk. Not good.

• 2 months later...
I wonder how Staten Islanders will feel when the (S79) becomes SBS

The problem is most bus riders pay little or no attention to such changes until after they happen and then they complain about it. It's the merchants who usually raise all the opposition.

Regarding the S79, I don't see the sense of it. As long as there is capacity on the SIR, I think it would make more sense to spend the money providing better bus access to SIR and increase available parking at the stations if possible.

The problem is most bus riders pay little or no attention to such changes until after they happen and then they complain about it. It's the merchants who usually raise all the opposition.

Regarding the S79, I don't see the sense of it. As long as there is capacity on the SIR, I think it would make more sense to spend the money providing better bus access to SIR and increase available parking at the stations if possible.

Agreed. The S79 should just have a 'limited' all day weekdays and call it a day. The SIR outside of rush hours is very underused in it's current format.

There are other areas of the 5 boros that needs SBS or as I have long endorsed in parts of Queens and the Bronx 'light rail.' What comes to mind for much more needed SBS is *cough* Merrick and Hilliside Ave in Queens just to start.

The big issue more than the loss parking issue is the end of 'limited' or SBS service along New York Ave and in particuarlly King County Hosptial. KC Hosptial vistors and workers will scream not only losing Northbound "express' service but a direct bus to Williamsburg as well.

If that not addressed then the proposed B44 SBS will be canned soon after it starts.

Agreed. The S79 should just have a 'limited' all day weekdays and call it a day. The SIR outside of rush hours is very underused in it's current format.

There are other areas of the 5 boros that needs SBS or as I have long endorsed in parts of Queens and the Bronx 'light rail.' What comes to mind for much more needed SBS is *cough* Merrick and Hilliside Ave in Queens just to start.

The big issue more than the loss parking issue is the end of 'limited' or SBS service along New York Ave and in particuarlly King County Hosptial. KC Hosptial vistors and workers will scream not only losing Northbound "express' service but a direct bus to Williamsburg as well.

If that not addressed then the proposed B44 SBS will be canned soon after it starts.

Agree with everything you said except that it will be canned if uncuccessful. First, DOT and the MTA will never admit failure and they will have invested too much, the bus stations, the lanes and 7 years of planning. Think the first IRT line was completed in half that time.

Are you nuts? The S79 can be as long as 2 hours pending traffic. I rather have SBS over the LTD because the bus lane would help the buses go to & from their destinations in a quick fashion

Are you nuts? The S79 can be as long as 2 hours pending traffic. I rather have SBS over the LTD because the bus lane would help the buses go to & from their destinations in a quick fashion

What about the fact that you have to walk further to an SBS stop and that if you take a local first and then transfer to the SBS, you use up your free transfer and have to pay an extra fare or buy an unlimited. Doesn't that reduce its utility?

What about providing better local access to SIRT? Why wouldn't that be faster than SBS?

These guys don't know what they're talking about. For starters the SIR doesn't serve everyones' needs the way that the (S79) does. It serves Hylan Blvd which is a major artery on Staten Island and the line is heavily used. It's a mini version of the (M15) and SBS is needed to help with the congestion and bunching that the line suffers from.

If these guys can get it out of their minds that because Staten Island only has about 500,000 people, they'd understand that a lot of people NEED and use public transportation on Staten Island, especially the bus since the SIR only serves one part of the island and select neigbourhoods at that.

What about the fact that you have to walk further to an SBS stop and that if you take a local first and then transfer to the SBS, you use up your free transfer and have to pay an extra fare or buy an unlimited. Doesn't that reduce its utility?

What about providing better local access to SIRT? Why wouldn't that be faster than SBS?

My question is what makes you think that beefing up the SIRT would help the majority of Staten Islanders which would not benefit from beefed up service on the SIRT??

Take me for example. I am nowhere near the SIRT, but the (S79) would serve my needs far better than the SIRT.

Ok, so are the SIRT cars full in the rush hours? And what about the 'crosstown' buses that connects to the SIRT?

LOL.... Crosstown buses????????????

You don't understand how the roads meander on Staten Island. There are no real "crosstown" buses on Staten Island, and those that do go somewhat from West to East and vice versa do not necessarily serve the SIRT the way you're thinking. If anything it puts folks out of their way to use it.

Yes, they're full during the rush hour, but here's the key difference... The (S79) serves Hylan Blvd directly which is a mixture of commercial and residential, while the SIRT helps only at times and can put people out of their way. Many people drive to the SIRT if they use it. The SIRT is not always accessible per se, esp. when compared to the (S79).

The S79 and SIR serve different markets, so speeding up routes like the S51 to get to the SIR isn't going to help anybody going to Brooklyn (not saying I necessarily support this plan in its current form).

These guys don't know what they're talking about. For starters the SIR doesn't serve everyones' needs the way that the (S79) does. It serves Hylan Blvd which is a major artery on Staten Island and the line is heavily used. It's a mini version of the (M15) and SBS is needed to help with the congestion and bunching that the line suffers from.

If these guys can get it out of their minds that because Staten Island only has about 500,000 people, they'd understand that a lot of people NEED and use public transportation on Staten Island, especially the bus since the SIR only serves one part of the island and select neigbourhoods at that.

He does have a point, since the S79 and SIR do parallel each other to an extent. The corridor isn't as bus-dependant as areas further north/west.

My question is what makes you think that beefing up the SIRT would help the majority of Staten Islanders which would not benefit from beefed up service on the SIRT??

Take me for example. I am nowhere near the SIRT, but the (S79) would serve my needs far better than the SIRT.

He's saying it would serve the area better, not Staten Island as a whole (and how exactly would the S79 help somebody on the other side of SI?).

You don't understand how the roads meander on Staten Island. There are no real "crosstown" buses on Staten Island, and those that do go somewhat from West to East and vice versa do not necessarily serve the SIRT the way you're thinking. If anything it puts folks out of their way to use it.

He means routes like the S51, S57, and S59/S79/S89. He didn't mean crosstown buses in the traditional sense (high-frequency routes meant for people to travel a few blocks)

In a sense, the S50s routes are similar to the concept of a crosstown bus-they fill in the gaps that the subway (in this case, the SIR) doesn't cover. The same way the M66 gives riders a way to get from the UES to the WES without having to go down to 42nd Street and back, routes like the S57 and S59 allow people to travel between the North Shore and South Shore without passing through Port Richmond.

He does have a point, since the S79 and SIR do parallel each other to an extent. The corridor isn't as bus-dependant as areas further north/west.

That being said, the S79 and SIR serve different markets, which is why the S79 was chosen, rather than the S78 (that route actually wouldn't make any sense as it would entirely parallel the SIR)

He's saying it would serve the area better, not Staten Island as a whole.

You and I know that the SIRT and (S79) are not exactly parallel and as you said they both serve different markets and that's the key thing here and the main reason why SBS is needed on the line. The SIRT goes to the Ferry while the (S79) goes to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

If these guys actually came out to Staten Island they'd understand things a little better, but it's clear that some folks can't understand what our needs are because they don't know much about Staten Island!

Now all of the Brooklyn buses that have been suggested for SBS I agree with (i.e. B41, B44, B46, etc.) because those lines really do need SBS because of how long they are and the ridership and bunching issues. Being from Brooklyn I know the lines well. The (S79) suffers from the same thing that these Brooklyn bus lines do. Just because Staten Island is suburban doesn't mean that we don't have similar problems.

Yeah, what about the fact that M15 and Bx12 SBS riders already have to go through it? I'm a daily M15 +SBS+ rider and walking a few blocks isnt that bad at all. Are Staten Islanders that lazy to not walk a couple of blocks? I dont think so!

Beefing up SIRT service is pretty pointless because it's not expanding around the island and it does NOT go into Brooklyn OR Manhattan, the S79 GOES into Brooklyn for a reason! While the SIRT goes to St. George, the S79 actually goes to another borough in the city. Plus you have a plethora of bus routes going to St. George vs 2 routes that go into Brooklyn, so thats a moot point.

Unless there was a demand to beef up SIRT service, sure, I'd dig that, until then, nope sorry. Plus SIRT is a railway so it RUNS like a railway/railroad type operation which is why you see a lack of local service!

Ok, so are the SIRT cars full in the rush hours? And what about the 'crosstown' buses that connects to the SIRT?

Not that full since the buses have become more of a priority because of the service cuts, there is not that many connecting routes along the SIRT. Plus for those that dont even live near the SIRT, the bus is more of a priority. I'm sure we seen how crowded the S79s can be during the rush hour, SBS would ease that issue by a ton especially if its articulated.

Yes, they're full during the rush hour, but here's the key difference... The (S79) serves Hylan Blvd directly which is a mixture of commercial and residential, while the SIRT helps only at times and can put people out of their way. Many people drive to the SIRT if they use it. The SIRT is not always accessible per se, esp. when compared to the (S79).

I know what he meant by that question, in a sense, the only routes I see in that type of situation is the S59/79 and like two other routes. After all, there are not that many connecting bus routes along the SIRT, especially those that actually hit certain major neighborhoods.

As a casual Staten Island commuter, I agree 100%.

The S79 and SIR serve different markets, so speeding up routes like the S51 to get to the SIR isn't going to help anybody going to Brooklyn (not saying I necessarily support this plan in its current form).

He's saying it would serve the area better, not Staten Island as a whole (and how exactly would the S79 help somebody on the other side of SI?).

He means routes like the S51, S57, and S59/S79/S89. He didn't mean crosstown buses in the traditional sense (high-frequency routes meant for people to travel a few blocks)

In a sense, the S50s routes are similar to the concept of a crosstown bus-they fill in the gaps that the subway (in this case, the SIR) doesn't cover. The same way the M66 gives riders a way to get from the UES to the WES without having to go down to 42nd Street and back, routes like the S57 and S59 allow people to travel between the North Shore and South Shore without passing through Port Richmond.

If you saw how many people use the (S53) to transfer to the (S79) perhaps that question could be answered. All I know is that a lot of people transfer to it...

For me I use Hylan Blvd as my backup for express bus service because it's a quick way to the Verrazano, but in terms of the (S79), as you've noted it serves a particular market, so if say I was going to the SI Mall and wanted to use the local bus, I'd take the (S53) to the (S79). I'm sure that's what many people transfer to the (S79) for, along with the other major stores along the Blvd.

What would be the stops for SBS on the (S79) and also, would artics. do well speed wise going over the Verrazano? The don't seem all that fast quite frankly. I think they could use artics on the line. I can't think of any real narrow streets. A few tight turns but nothing impossible on Staten Island or in Bay Ridge. The main sticking point will be the parking problems along Hylan. They need to widen the sidewalks in some areas.

What would be the stops for SBS on the (S79) and also, would artics. do well speed wise going over the Verrazano? The don't seem all that fast quite frankly. I think they could use artics on the line. I can't think of any real narrow streets. A few tight turns but nothing impossible on Staten Island or in Bay Ridge.

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/images/hylan.pdf check this for the stops if its listed. I do believe that there is an updated list of stops though I gotta look around for it.

Check here too, just found it. Looks more updated. http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/20101025_hylan_cac1.pdf

With the new Cummins engines coming into them artics, they will be good. The 1000s and 5600s out of 126 do really well as you can see them haul ass onto the triboro via the M35.

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/images/hylan.pdf check this for the stops if its listed. I do believe that there is an updated list of stops though I gotta look around for it.

With the new Cummins engines coming into them artics, they will be good. The 1000s and 5600s out of 126 do really well as you can see them haul ass onto the triboro via the M35.

Wow, that would be a fast commute from the current local bus, no question.

Archived