B44 +SelectBusService+

Iamthe1

The cuts won't be so obvious at first, but eventually the changes can be noticable over time. Little by little that's how it's done.

What would seriously need to be done for the B41 is to change up a ton of traffic patterns. The Junction alone is one very serious traffic spot, south of it going to Kings Plaza seems to be fine. Same goes for the B44 SBS to work out. If they were to fix up The Junction's traffic issues, all them bus lines should be able to breeze through. But for the B41, traffic conditions is all over that line and its pretty annoying. Artics would in a sense, help, and kill the line.

Yup, it's a major 'hub' with buses turning at that intersection. Nostrand-Glenwood is just as bad. Ideally Nostrand should be more a 1 way road especially if there are a-holes that double parks and blocks the lane. Maybe an outright car ban in some areas is what's needed?

Sure it'll be hell for everyone else, but buses can't be delayed even further because people uses only the main roads to get around.

Flatbush is like Broadway, it's a great road in terms of cutting thru the borough, but it causes a bunch of problems at intersections. Also even if they were to 'pedestrian mall it' some roads [the streets] won't line up properly [someone failed at grid planning 101].

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cuts won't be so obvious at first, but eventually the changes can be noticable over time. Little by little that's how it's done.

Yup, it's a major 'hub' with buses turning at that intersection. Nostrand-Glenwood is just as bad. Ideally Nostrand should be more a 1 way road especially if there are a-holes that double parks and blocks the lane. Maybe an outright car ban in some areas is what's needed?

Sure it'll be hell for everyone else, but buses can't be delayed even further because people uses only the main roads to get around.

I agree, but you can speed things up significantly by giving those buses signal priority and making people pay before they board. The problem is that the stream of people getting on at some of those stops never end and thus the buses can't get out of the stop because people keep running to get on.

They should station dispatchers over there to keep things moving. I know they have one sometimes over there near the Junction, but that isn't enough.

Well maybe, but the x-factor remains the other cars that slows down the bus lines. Artics/RTS, won't matter if it's bumper to bumper traffic. You can have dispatchers, but if they are really behind they may have to kick off people [that won't be able to get to their intended stops] to 'close the gap'.

Before June 27th, 2010, I remember when I was on Downtown Brooklyn-bound B51 was turning left from southbound Court St to narrow westbound Livingston St. Bus got stuck in middle of intersection in turning angle due to mad crowd on ahead bus was dropping/picking up passenger.

As in result, car drivers had to travel between stuck bus to go straight on Court St.

Downtown Brooklyn has too many narrow streets.

I also remember when there was accident somewhere along Central Park, BxM4C MCI coudn't fit on narrow street, so I was ask to transfer to Bee-Line Local bus. Neoplan Artic had little hard time making detour through narrow side street to get to other side of Central Park Av.

Well maybe, but the x-factor remains the other cars that slows down the bus lines. Artics/RTS, won't matter if it's bumper to bumper traffic. You can have dispatchers, but if they are really behind they may have to kick off people [that won't be able to get to their intended stops] to 'close the gap'.

Do they have traffic agents in those congested zones?? That would help move traffic along too.

I think artics could work and would be beneficial but some tweaking is certainly needed. Also while you may see more artics as meaning less service, they can help reduce congestion also.

Nope. Would be nice to have.

Canal St in manhattan sometimes have them and they are a little better than the traffic lights. Problem there are still the tourists and other peds that still crosses at the redlight.

I didn't think so... The traffic agents by Canal St. are a new thing to my knowledge on the weekends. They certainly help things a bit down there. Before we'd sit on the express bus for several lights before we could get through. Much less of an issue of late.

As a driver, it infuriates me when I see people cross on a red. I swear these people are asking to get hit by a car the way they disregard the lights. Maybe Canal needs pedestrian bridges? Leave the intersections for the cars.

That would never work, especially during the Chinese New Year Parades & the Italian Fair/Chinatown Fair. What needs to be done down there in terms of traffic signals should be the same way that is done by Delancey Street along with Allen Street.

Reconfigure the signals as to where the Walk sign comes in first with the red light still there so people can cross the street ahead of traffic, then the Green Signal comes in 10 seconds or so after. I loved the way they did the signal systems down here, much more organized. The two things that kill Canal Street are the Holland Tunnel & Manhattan Bridge traffic.

Perhaps the hand/person symbols are too simplistic. Countdown timers would be helpful in some sense. I still think it's hardwired in people to cross no matter what the sign says.

If people were ticketed the way drivers are, traffic cops could rack up their quotas instantly.

I wonder if they should ever dig a tunnel under Canal and have cars go strait to the Manny B from the Holland tunnel? At least it would clear up the local streets if drivers aren't going to stay in Manhattan.

Perhaps the hand/person symbols are too simplistic. Countdown timers would be helpful in some sense. I still think it's hardwired in people to cross no matter what the sign says.

If people were ticketed the way drivers are, traffic cops could rack up their quotas instantly.

I wonder if they should ever dig a tunnel under Canal and have cars go strait to the Manny B from the Holland tunnel? At least it would clear up the local streets if drivers aren't going to stay in Manhattan.

The countdown timers is a must down there, either put those, or reconfigure the entire signal system down there the same way they did it for the Delancey Street Corridor & the Allen Street corridor. I see these methods working very well down there.

Yup, that intersection is a mess. One thing they should do is have no turn signs, at least that's one way to cut down on cars blocking the box. Another problem is that the B6 and B44 are heavily used in that section so the buses are already going to hog up the lane for some time [which is made worse if you have idiots double parking].

Yup, that intersection is a mess. One thing they should do is have no turn signs, at least that's one way to cut down on cars blocking the box. Another problem is that the B6 and B44 are heavily used in that section so the buses are already going to hog up the lane for some time [which is made worse if you have idiots double parking].

Also, double parking all over screws it up. There is zero enforcement. If what I saw happens everyday, it's a real shame no one does anything about it.

Before June 27th, 2010, I remember when I was on Downtown Brooklyn-bound B51 was turning left from southbound Court St to narrow westbound Livingston St. Bus got stuck in middle of intersection in turning angle due to mad crowd on ahead bus was dropping/picking up passenger.

As in result, car drivers had to travel between stuck bus to go straight on Court St.

Downtown Brooklyn has too many narrow streets.

I also remember when there was accident somewhere along Central Park, BxM4C MCI coudn't fit on narrow street, so I was ask to transfer to Bee-Line Local bus. Neoplan Artic had little hard time making detour through narrow side street to get to other side of Central Park Av.

- central park av gets narrow where the Deegan descends; in yonkers.... otherwise, it allows for 2-3 lanes of traffic on both sides, pretty much throughout the length of the road... all the way on up to Tarrytown road...

- ....and the turn off court onto livingston isn't too bad... I saw way more congestion when the B51 made that turn off livingston, onto smith st....

Also, double parking all over screws it up. There is zero enforcement. If what I saw happens everyday, it's a real shame no one does anything about it.

yup, nostrand (heading NB) b/w glenwood & flatbush is notorious for those cabs double parking.... B44's get stuck in that, constantly....

- central park av gets narrow where the Deegan descends; in yonkers.... otherwise, it allows for 2-3 lanes of traffic on both sides, pretty much throughout the length of the road... all the way on up to Tarrytown road...

- ....and the turn off court onto livingston isn't too bad... I saw way more congestion when the B51 made that turn off livingston, onto smith st....

yup, nostrand (heading NB) b/w glenwood & flatbush is notorious for those cabs double parking.... B44's get stuck in that, constantly....

THAT IS WHY THEY NEED SBS ON B44 CAUSE THEN cameras on buses would keep busting them THEN MORE REVENUE!!! Ha Ha ha at the fools expense they can charge a double fine for double parking at a bus lane. like $400 per violation !!!!!!! that would CRUSH THOSE cabs.

THAT IS WHY THEY NEED SBS ON B44 CAUSE THEN cameras on buses would keep busting them THEN MORE REVENUE!!! Ha Ha ha at the fools expense they can charge a double fine for double parking at a bus lane. like $400 per violation !!!!!!! that would CRUSH THOSE cabs.

The double parking I see is on Flatbush not Nostrand. How can they double park on that block on Nostrand when it is only one lane in each direction?

Yeh, that's the main concern....

I remember when they had them on Guy R Brewer for a little bit... while the Q111/113 does carry, service on those two routes are erratic enough as it is... especially the 113...

I'm glad that was a "trial" sort of ordeal & didn't remain a mainstay over there.....

There were traffic checkers along the Q111/113 route in Springfield Gardens/Rosedale on Tuesday evening...........

The B6 is used way more than the B44 at that interscetion(people getting off the 2/5 trains). The B44 gets its ridership one stop south(mostly from the same 2/5 riders).

• 3 months later...

My apologies for the resurrection in this thread, but my concern seem to fit this thread to continue it's course rather than starting a brand new discussion on it.

I don't think I've read this in the thread, or in any of my search queries, but what does this SBS B44 do for the B49 LTD? Will SBS eliminated, or just limited between Manhattan Beach and Flatbush Avenue?

Also, has there been any new developments on the project thus far?

I've also been trying to wrap my head around the idea of leaving New York Avenue high and dry without LTD or SBS (Express) service. I understand the dynamics ... but, uh ... damn, lol. Separating one of the line to Rogers Avenue seems excruciating. And I mention this all because, 1. I reside on NY Ave; 2. I frequent the B44, a lot.

My apologies for the resurrection in this thread, but my concern seem to fit this thread to continue it's course rather than starting a brand new discussion on it.

I don't think I've read this in the thread, or in any of my search queries, but what does this SBS B44 do for the B49 LTD? Will SBS eliminated, or just limited between Manhattan Beach and Flatbush Avenue?

Also, has there been any new developments on the project thus far?

I've also been trying to wrap my head around the idea of leaving New York Avenue high and dry without LTD or SBS (Express) service. I understand the dynamics ... but, uh ... damn, lol. Separating one of the line to Rogers Avenue seems excruciating. And I mention this all because, 1. I reside on NY Ave; 2. I frequent the B44, a lot.

East New York [the go-to guy for bus developments] says B44 +SBS is being pushed back to January 2013, due to a lack of available LFSA buses (the +SBS was originally supposed to start either late this year or summer of next year; different sites gave different dates) Ok, so it's not really a 'development', but still :P

Also, the B44 +SBS won't affect the B49 LTD at all. The B44 +SBS is running on the B49 Northbound betweeen Foster Av and its terminal at Fulton St. The B49 LTD only runs Southbound, during the AM Rush. Two different directions, no intermixing.

Yeah, taking the B44 +SBS off New York Av will be a disaster. Even if it is a little quicker, and more convenient on Rogers Avthan on New York Av, New York Av really needs the service more.

Archived