M34 +SelectBusService+

East New York

M34 SBS is coming as well!! No official timetable has been set for this route.

34th Street Bus Priority

Phase I

The Corridor

On September 15th 2008, NYC Transit buses started using new exclusive curb bus lanes recently installed along 34th Street. The lanes are painted bright terra cotta and run between 1st and 11th Avenues in Manhattan-the first step in a series of bus-mobility improvements planned for 34th Street to improve cross-town bus speeds and reliability. Along with increased enforcement, overhead gantry signs are installed over the lane clearly marking the lane for exclusive bus use from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays.

Physical Features

34th Street was repaved and restriped for 5 travel lanes from 3rd Ave to 9th Ave providing safety improvement and overall operational improvements

River-to-river curb bus lanes will be improved featuring red lanes, new overhead signage and extended hours

Real time bus arrival information at bus stops

Next stop information on buses

Fewer stops

Overall Benefits

Crosstown bus service moves 17% faster, benefiting over 16,000 local riders per day

Plan also benefits express buses on 23 routes benefiting over 17,000 express bus rides per day

Normal lane widths will improve traffic safety

Phase II

More comprehensive strategies are planned for Phase II along the corridor. An Alternatives Analysis was conducted to identify the most effective transit options to decrease travel times for transit riders, to reduce vehicular and pedestrian congestion along 34th Street, and to provide convenient connections to the major land uses and transportation facilities along the corridor. The Locally Preferred Alternative is the transit way. Read the complete Alternatives Analysis here.

Planned SBS Stations

West Side Station

Javits Center/11th Ave Station

10th Ave Station

9th Ave Station

8th Ave Station

Penn Station/7th Ave Station

Herald Square Station

Madison Ave/5th Ave Station

Park Ave Station

Lexington Ave/3rd Ave Station

2nd Ave Station

1st Ave Station

34th St Ferry Terminal Station

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs//34st.html

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Planned SBS Stations

West Side Station

Javits Center/11th Ave Station

10th Ave Station

9th Ave Station

8th Ave Station

Penn Station/7th Ave Station

Herald Square Station

Madison Ave/5th Ave Station

Park Ave Station

Lexington Ave/3rd Ave Station

2nd Ave Station

1st Ave Station

34th St Ferry Terminal Station

This doesn't look like fewer stops to me because M34 is a Crosstown route.

3 Av & Lexington Av have been consolidated into one stop, as have 5 Av and Madison Av. So that's two less stops.

I don't know if it will work out or not. I'm pretty optimistic though.

There are other potential crosstown corridors for SBS: Examples:

86th St

14th St [M14D]

125th St

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Crap, they shoulde done the M16 lol…but most of the stuff that's mentioned is already happening (i.e: real-time bus information & next stop information)

i'm sorry my friend but the M34 and M16 bus routes are not gettin +SBS+ but 34th Street will become a new and improved transitway...similar to the one out in Fulton Street/Borough Hall Brooklyn...no cars will be allowed anymore but the buses and the services will remain the same

The MTA calls it 34th St. Bus Priority...

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/images/34th.pdf

i'm sorry my friend but the M34 and M16 bus routes are not gettin +SBS+ but 34th Street will become a new and improved transitway...similar to the one out in Fulton Street/Borough Hall Brooklyn...no cars will be allowed anymore but the buses and the services will remain the same

Its pretty much the same concept as Select Bus Service MINUS the fare machines.....

All in all, this really isnt Select Bus Service, this is just an upgraded crosstown corridor, SBS is pretty much the concept of BRT, in which the M34/16 have been following for some time now. Only thing they will be lacking is fare machines.

It's not set in stone yet. The 34th street Bus Priority has already been implemented. And the M16 will use the same bus stops as the M34. As of right now, it will be 34th Street SBS(in a way). MTA themselves are calling it SBS. At this time, the entire length of 34th street will not be used for buses only.

34thStreet Long Term Concept

Potential Transitway Features:

•River-to-river fully separated two way transitway will be built on one side of 34th street

•Options for the rest of the right of way include:

–One-way traffic outbound from midtown

–One-way traffic westbound

–New plaza and pedestrian spaces

–Reserved commercial loading space

•Transitway will decrease travel time by up to 45% for crosstownbus service

Its pretty much the same concept as Select Bus Service MINUS the fare machines.....

All in all, this really isnt Select Bus Service, this is just an upgraded crosstown corridor, SBS is pretty much the concept of BRT, in which the M34/16 have been following for some time now. Only thing they will be lacking is fare machines.

I didn't see this before I posted, but there will be fare machines like the one's on the current SBS routes. So in all actuallity, this will be the same SBS service, only better.

-__-

I mean it's good but why Manhattan again? They have just about every subway line to work with too.

SBS is being rolled out very slow as well, which is my main gripe.

Because Manhattan crosstown needs SBS ASAP! The only x-town subway lines are the (L), and (S).

Why are people saying the the M34 won't be +SelectBusService? On the NYCDOT's page for current and future SBS routes the M34 is very clearly shown on the map alongside the Bx12, M15, B44, and S79. Just because 34th St will be a transitway or whatever doesn't mean it won't SBS.

Correct. It will have MVM's as well as SBS wrapped buses. 34th street will also become a oneway street. The westbound portion will be oneway in the westbound direction only, and the eastern portion will be eastbound traffic only. This will not apply to buses, which will run in both directions.

Not to get too off topic but SBS is not needed along 34th. Instead a busway IMO similar to the one used in Pittsburgh or Seattle would be suited for 14, 34 and 86th St.

IMO, it is despirately needed! And it will be a busway, just with SBS.

Correct. It will have MVM's as well as SBS wrapped buses. 34th street will also become a oneway street. The westbound portion will be oneway in the westbound direction only, and the eastern portion will be eastbound traffic only. This will not apply to buses, which will run in both directions.

IMO, it is desperately needed! And it will be a busway, just with SBS.

I hope its not 40ft buses because that would defeat the purpose of SBS. If it is 40ft buses, I dont see it working at all, same crowding issues will occur. If it is 60/62ft buses, they better start organizing which buses will be going to SBS and whatnot, or start looking for a new batch.

I dont really like how the M16 is shafted out of the equation in a sense, as it does serve both V.A & Bellevue hospitals. IMO, that should have gotten SBS instead, but 8th Avenue would kill the route.

I hope its not 40ft buses because that would defeat the purpose of SBS. If it is 40ft buses, I dont see it working at all, same crowding issues will occur. If it is 60/62ft buses, they better start organizing which buses will be going to SBS and whatnot, or start looking for a new batch.

I dont really like how the M16 is shafted out of the equation in a sense, as it does serve both V.A & Bellevue hospitals. IMO, that should have gotten SBS instead, but 8th Avenue would kill the route.

In the video presentation I watched on it, they were using 60fters, and the Destination sign read M34SBS. They also had some 40fters with SBS wraps, but I'm not sure what route it was. From the way it looks, the M16 will remain local, while the M34 will be 100% SBS.

As far as them needing to get buses ready, I think we will see the B44, and S79 SBS up and running first. 34th Street will have to be re-paved, and the pedestrian plaza and busways will have to be installed. Traffic lights, and signs will have to be repositioned as well.

-__-

I mean it's good but why Manhattan again? They have just about every subway line to work with too.

SBS is being rolled out very slow as well, which is my main gripe.

Crosstown lines are slow as hell. Other than 2nd Av for the M15, the other bus lines that goes North-south are more or less 'fine' as is.

Having this lane will be more useful to Express buses

Ok. Got it. But why do you think it won't be so smooth for the locals?

I agree.

I also learn from page, local buses and express buses will get TSP.

I wonder if long-distance buses will get benefit?

Any bus using 34th will have priority. The only drawback is parking will be completely eliminated from river to river.

ENY when you have many EXP buses turning on Madison Ave

And 6 ave from that bus lane it backs up and local buses are forced to go into the far Left lane just to get around us all and not to mention the holidays well that pretty much explains it all.

LGA CPT SC alone has stops along 34 .... 3 ave - Park ave - Mad and 5 th ave so locals sometimes have to wait for us to get out the way .

ENY when you have many EXP buses turning on Madison Ave

And 6 ave from that bus lane it backs up and local buses are forced to go into the far Left lane just to get around us all and not to mention the holidays well that pretty much explains it all.

LGA CPT SC alone has stops along 34 .... 3 ave - Park ave - Mad and 5 th ave so locals sometimes have to wait for us to get out the way .

My bad, I drew a mental blank. I've been up since the crack of dawn!:o

There will be dedicated bus stops for Exp and locals. 34th will be closed off to all traffic except buses between 5th and 6th Avs., so I'm assuming they got that part covered.

Archived