M34 +SelectBusService+

East New York

I needed to take the M34 SBS today to get to work right in the middle of rush hour (about 8:40 am) and I was pretty impressed by the service. The B/O's seemed to really want to keep the line moving, and they were really hustling along.

In fact, right as I got off the the QM5 at 34th and 3rd and got onto the SBS, my QM5 B/O was nearly hit by an SBS bus coming way too fast up the bus lane on 34th. He was not pleased, to say the least, lol.

People did not seem too fazed by the SBS, probably because 1st and 2nd Avenues already have had the service for a while now. I agree that having the NG's on the line is probably not the most efficient use, though they can maneuver around the lanes on 34th street a lot better than the Artics. Until the dedicated bus lane is installed (in the next few months, I think), i can see the value of having NG's, perhaps interspersed with some Artics, especially at rush hours.

That was another thing I noticed too. Many of the people I saw knew how to use the machines and used it like they had been using it for years. Almost a 180 from when the Bx12SBS and M15SBS started.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are actually a ton in Manhattan, between the depots there are more artics per route in Manhattan than in the Bronx but Manhattan has so many artic routes that taking any away would be a disaster. Giving the M34 artics would mean converting a 40-foot route, and then you've gotta decide which of the M14, M15, M23, M35, M79, M86, M101, M102, and M103 you're gonna take artics off of. Just gonna have to wait until new ones come in, which is what they're doing.

Edit: What he said ^

i dont think thats fully true the bronx haves the Bx1 Bx2 Bx9 Bx22 Bx41 Bx40 42 Bx19 Bx55 Bx39 Bx36 in the rush hours and the Bx17 that uses it in the rush hours

I was in the city last night (didn't get to ride it but I saw it multiple times)...

I'm sorry but that scheme looks so bland on the buses. They couldve at leastdid something to the doors

And don't even get me started on what they did to the back of them buses...

I was in the city last night (didn't get to ride it but I saw it multiple times)...

I'm sorry but that scheme looks so bland on the buses. They couldve at leastdid something to the doors

And don't even get me started on what they did to the back of them buses...

It wouldnt look right on the doors since the doors are inside, not leveled like the LFSAs. It'll look like someone punched the hell outta the doors with that scheme

When the M34 gets artics the headaways should really stay the same. If headaways are increased to the point where capacity is the same, there will still be crowding issues and the only advantage will be the faster loading (The 3rd door would theoretically speed up loading by 1/2, or 50%, but maybe that's too generous) due to the 3rd door. But, if headaways are kept the same, there's the faster loading and the extra capacity, which would definitely be attractive. If the (MTA) is being cheap and absolutely has to decrease service, they should at least decrease it to a point where there's more capacity then there is now.

Adding artics but keeping headaways the same would increase capacity by about 50%. If headaways were to be increased, it would ideally only be to a degree where's there some extra capacity (like 10, 20, 25%, I dunno)

When the M34 gets artics the headaways should really stay the same. If headaways are increased to the point where capacity is the same, there will still be crowding issues and the only advantage will be the faster loading (The 3rd door would theoretically speed up loading by 1/2, or 50%, but maybe that's too generous) due to the 3rd door. But, if headaways are kept the same, there's the faster loading and the extra capacity, which would definitely be attractive. If the (MTA) is being cheap and absolutely has to decrease service, they should at least decrease it to a point where there's more capacity then there is now.

Adding artics but keeping headaways the same would increase capacity by about 50%. If headaways were to be increased, it would ideally only be to a degree where's there some extra capacity (like 10, 20, 25%, I dunno)

When the MTA adds artics, it is a 4:5 ratio, so if a route runs every 4 minutes with 40-foot buses, it'll run every 5 minutes with artics.

In theory at least, this would still increase capacity. 4 * 60 = 240, whereas 5 * 40 = 200, so it's a 20% increase in capacity.

Sorry for the double post. Just relaying my experience.

So yesterday I hike it over to Waterside Plaza for the M34A. We leave without a hitch, but by 1st Av, we start getting a little crowded.... At 2nd Av, we're crush-loaded. At 3rd Av, there's a wheelchair passenger trying to get on. The B/O has to go push (not literally) people to the back, which doesn't have all that much room left. A couple of people got off to wait for the M34 behind us. Turns out the guy never bought a ticket, so he doesn't get on. I got off at 7th Ave.

I thought the M34 coming right up behind us was because we were delayed, but as it turns out, the M34 was schedule to run a minute behind us (as per Trip Planner) so I guess it was more-or-less on schedule.

I'm not saying anything new, but the M34 could really use either more service or artics in short order.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on M34 SBS #3822 PABT and we had angry passenger coming from (M20). That lady doesn't look disable and here was conversation.

10:16.

Lady: Hold it.

MJQ B/O: Do you have your receipt?

Lady: (shows her transfer) I just got off the bus.

MJQ B/O: You should have stay on (M20).

Lady: (M20) does"t go where I want to go.

MJQ B/O: You got get $100 fine. This is Select Bus Service. It doesn't work that way.

Angry and using improper language.

Other SBS Rider show her his receipt an

Lady left and properly hail cab.

After bus approaching 43rd St.

If she didn't want to paid, she should have gotten off (M20) at 37th, 40-41st Sts and wait for (M34A) SBS there to just hop on.

Can Artic on M34 SBS fit into East Side Ferry Terminal and make U-turn onto FDR Drive Service Rd South?

Yes, they will be able to make the turn. The bus has a turning radius similar to that of a 45 foot bus, but actually greater.

Just to confirm: they're planning to put LFSAs on 34th Street soon, right?

If so, when? Next year when the next batch of Artics arrive?

It depends on a few things. MTA is evaluating the use of the 40 footers right now. If they feel the line needs artics, then they will get them. It's very likely they do. However, it may not happen until phase II of the 34th street project is complete. So in short, yer artics are planned. But I don't think there is a set timetable.

Can Artic on M34 SBS fit into East Side Ferry Terminal and make U-turn onto FDR Drive Service Rd South?

They definitely can, after all, every year during the times the Car Show is in town, there is an artic or two on the M34.

The time frame is for sure: once Quill gets those LFSAs the 34 gets artics. AFAIK there's about a 95% chance the 34 gets LFSAs, but there is always the remote possibility that it gets D60s -- we're talking really unlikely, but all that's officially confirmed are artics.

As long as the M14A/D do not get LFS artics, I'm fine with the idea of Quill getting these.

Oh I was of the understanding that artics were definite, the only question was rather it'd be this batch of LFSAs or the next with the D60s until then. Wasn't there a DOT presentation about how artics would be on the route by February or am I making that up?

Not sure about the presentation, but artics are definitely planned for the route. However, when the SBS service started, I was told they would see how the 40 footers worked out first. I'm pretty sure we will see some artics in the future. The 42.5 foot RTS LF would be perfect for that route though. 39 seats and standing room for 60 would do the trick.

I must still have the worst of luck - I'm still seein way more 34a's than I do 34's....

Did they increase service to PABT & decrease service to the Javits ctr as part of the transformation (or w/e you wanna call it) to SBS along 34th st?

On paper at least, the schedule stayed exactly the same.

Yes, they will be able to make the turn. The bus has a turning radius similar to that of a 45 foot bus, but actually greater.

It depends on a few things. MTA is evaluating the use of the 40 footers right now. If they feel the line needs artics, then they will get them. It's very likely they do. However, it may not happen until phase II of the 34th street project is complete. So in short, yer artics are planned. But I don't think there is a set timetable.

I didn't even realize until seeing that video that the line was using NG.s I assumed all SBS's used artics. What's keeping them from using artics (sorry if this has been answered already).

Do you know what happened when I was trying to chase my B/O friend on (M4) via (M2), I got off at 36th St, then got SBS Receipt at 34th St/5th Av, hopping to make it to my friend at 32nd St/7th Av 18:45, unfortualley I couldn't make it. There was fare inspector getting receipts from machine as well.

When arriving M34A +Select Bus Service+ didn't stop at east side of 5th Av, two of us and inspector were shocked he didn't stop on east side, so we try to go on west side, he missed us and this inspector flag (NYCT) Supervisior and catch that M34A SBS.

M34A SBS B/O FAILS TO STOP.

Archived