M34 +SelectBusService+

East New York

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I attended Community Forum tonight.

There was lots of residents/businesses are not happy, especially with cub.

I learned Access-A-Ride driver got ticket for using bus lane to/from pickup/drop off in curbside bus lane.

Lots of residents and business, especially elderly and disable person complaint about curb.

Many motorists are complaining about no turns restriction, even thought there is no sign.

I attended Community Forum tonight.

There was lots of residents/businesses are not happy, especially with cub.

I learned Access-A-Ride driver got ticket for using bus lane to/from pickup/drop off in curbside bus lane.

Lots of residents and business, especially elderly and disable person complaint about curb.

Many motorists are complaining about no turns restriction, even thought there is no sign.

It gets better (MTA)Express buses or any NIS bus using said SBS lane will get A Summons yep I can't blv it but true .

City is gonna make money on SBS lanes fo sho.

I take it you don't ride many buses in Manhattan.....

No I don't but so what, Manhattan isn't the only place with slow buses. I don't have anything against the M34 SBS just to be clear. I didn't say it wasn't needed, I just think it'd be nice to bring SBS to areas without subway service.

My main gripe is that SBS is being rolled out very slowly.

No I don't but so what, Manhattan isn't the only place with slow buses. I don't have anything against the M34 SBS just to be clear. I didn't say it wasn't needed, I just think it'd be nice to bring SBS to areas without subway service.

My main gripe is that SBS is being rolled out very slowly.

One of the reasons SBS is rolling out slow is because we need more buses for the service. We don't have enough artics in the inventory right now. It will also be quite a while before the the M34 is up and running. My best guestimate is late 2012.

One of the reasons SBS is rolling out slow is because we need more buses for the service. We don't have enough artics in the inventory right now. It will also be quite a while before the the M34 is up and running. My best guestimate is late 2012.

I know, that's like the main reason. I'm not saying it should be an "SBS outbreak" or anything but it'd be nice if it went faster than 1 route per 1-1.5 years but it is what it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing more proposals though (mainly Queens & Staten Island proposals).

• 2 months later...

With the BX12 SBS and M15 SBS showing improvement in travel times, the M34 34th Street crosstown bus route in Manhattan will become the first-ever local bus route to become fareless on board the bus.

The M.T.A. will be installing sidwalk MetroCard kiosks at M34 bus stops along the M34 route and later this year riders will begin paying their fare just like they do on the BX12 SBS and M15 SBS.

Riders will be then be able to enter an M34 bus through either door. I think the M16 is included as it also serves 34th Street between First/Second Avenues and Eighth/Ninth Avenues (and shares the schedule with the M34).

Story And Video From NY1: http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/132836/mta-to-intstall-sidewalk-kiosks-on-m34-bus-line/

With the BX12 SBS and M15 SBS showing improvement in travel times, the M34 34th Street crosstown bus route in Manhattan will become the first-ever local bus route to become fareless on board the bus.

The M.T.A. will be installing sidwalk MetroCard kiosks at M34 bus stops along the M34 route and later this year riders will begin paying their fare just like they do on the BX12 SBS and M15 SBS.

Riders will be then be able to enter an M34 bus through either door. I think the M16 is included as it also serves 34th Street between First/Second Avenues and Eighth/Ninth Avenues (and shares the schedule with the M34).

Story And Video From NY1: http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/132836/mta-to-intstall-sidewalk-kiosks-on-m34-bus-line/

I could be wrong, but I am a little skeptical of this. The busway has yet to be started on, and I was told the TA was shooting for summer 2012.

I could be wrong, but I am a little skeptical of this. The busway has yet to be started on, and I was told the TA was shooting for summer 2012.

Will M16 passengers also be allowed to pay before boarding? That line gets just as packed/delayed as the 34.

Will M16 passengers also be allowed to pay before boarding? That line gets just as packed/delayed as the 34.

When I was briefed on the plan, and saw the video, it appeared as if it wouldn't. All the buses in the animated video were all artics signed up as the M34. But, there was supposed to be a busway so all other buses would still have priority. Thats why I am quite skeptical of this news. Something doesn't add up. If this is implemented this summer, that means everything I saw in the video, and everything I was told will change.

gothamist is confirming NY1 about the sidewalk MetroCard Kiosks coming later this year to 34th Street bus stops and expands that the City Of New York is planning to use the fareless on-board bus service to speed up other idling bus lines.

The M34 was named the sixth slowest bus in the city with an average speed of 4.4 mph on 34th Street.

The DOT is also planning a Transitway for 34th Street and the new project will separate the existing bus-only lanes with barriers.

Maybe it's me, but in Manhattan, where twenty north-south blocks equal a mile and crosstown blocks are wider, wouldn't Select Bus Service work better on a North-South route than a crosstown route?

The M34 travels only 12 full blocks between the F.D.R. and Twelfth Avenue (Madison is half-way between Fifth and Park Avenues and Lex is half-way between Park and Third Avenues).

Story and Photo: http://gothamist.com/2011/01/26/m34_next_to_get_sidewalk_ticket_kio.php

When I was briefed on the plan, and saw the video, it appeared as if it wouldn't. All the buses in the animated video were all artics signed up as the M34. But, there was supposed to be a busway so all other buses would still have priority. Thats why I am quite skeptical of this news. Something doesn't add up. If this is implemented this summer, that means everything I saw in the video, and everything I was told will change.

A part of me is waiting for them to announce the installation of traffic cameras on 34th Street. I have no idea why though (it would explain a lot).

gothamist is confirming NY1 about the sidewalk MetroCard Kiosks coming later this year to 34th Street bus stops and expands that the City Of New York is planning to use the fareless on-board bus service to speed up other idling bus lines.

The M34 was named the sixth slowest bus in the city with an average speed of 4.4 mph on 34th Street.

The DOT is also planning a Transitway for 34th Street and the new project will separate the existing bus-only lanes with barriers.

Maybe it's me, but in Manhattan, where twenty north-south blocks equal a mile and crosstown blocks are wider, wouldn't Select Bus Service work better on a North-South route than a crosstown route?

The M34 travels only 12 full blocks between the F.D.R. and Twelfth Avenue (Madison is half-way between Fifth and Park Avenues and Lex is half-way between Park and Third Avenues).

Story and Photo: http://gothamist.com/2011/01/26/m34_next_to_get_sidewalk_ticket_kio.php

A part of me is waiting for them to announce the installation of traffic cameras on 34th Street. I have no idea why though (it would explain a lot).

If all of this is done in the next 7 months, I will be amazed. Its just very surprising to me that the news would break this before the TA did. Now I do that all the time, so that's the only reason I'm going to just wait and see. The Prevost order hit me from left field, so anything is possible I guess.

• 3 months later...
3 Av & Lexington Av have been consolidated into one stop, as have 5 Av and Madison Av. So that's two less stops.

I don't know if it will work out or not. I'm pretty optimistic though.

There are other potential crosstown corridors for SBS: Examples:

86th St

14th St [M14D]

125th St

I would add Houston, 23, 42, 79 and 96 Sts to that list

• 2 months later...
Being that M34 +SBS is planned for the fall which is only a few months away the fleet for this route should be getting it's SBS wraps and all. Speaking of which what is the plan for the M34 +Select fleet? I'm just curious about this.

Will the M34 SBS even be a full SBS? I'm thinking it'll be a service enhancement to the current M34 with SBS-like features like bus lanes and fare collection machines, but I don't think there'll be a local and SBS variant.

And what about the M16?

The M16 won't be SBS? Won't that defeat the purpose of the M34 SBS by causing the 34's to go out of the bus lane to pass the 16's that are boarding? And what if you get a 34 ticket and a 16 comes first? I'm sure many clueless tourists would end up paying twice or losing their free transfer because they'd be too dumb to just flash the ticket to the driver.

Archived