M34 +SelectBusService+

East New York

The M16 won't be SBS? Won't that defeat the purpose of the M34 SBS by causing the 34's to go out of the bus lane to pass the 16's that are boarding? And what if you get a 34 ticket and a 16 comes first? I'm sure many clueless tourists would end up paying twice or losing their free transfer because they'd be too dumb to just flash the ticket to the driver.

Why would you have two bus routes be SBS covering the same stops??? :confused:

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just saying that if the point of SBS is to speed up buses on 34th Street then having M16 locals would just force the M34 SBS to go out of the bus lane and merge with regular traffic to pass, which would significantly slow it down, and merging might be especially hard with arctics. Having the M16 be SBS would improve service on both of the buses and having one ticket that would be good on both the M16/M34 would avoid any confusion when boarding a bus.

I'm just saying that if the point of SBS is to speed up buses on 34th Street then having M16 locals would just force the M34 SBS to go out of the bus lane and merge with regular traffic to pass, which would significantly slow it down, and merging might be especially hard with arctics. Having the M16 be SBS would improve service on both of the buses and having one ticket that would be good on both the M16/M34 would avoid any confusion when boarding a bus.

Actually, the curbside bus lanes on 34th St are going to be replaced with interior bus lanes. The sidewalk is going to be extended at M34 stops to the interior lane so the M34 can stay in the bus lane. The local (in this case, the M16) is going to still stop at the curb.

The M15 is supposed to get sidewalk extensions for every stop that's located along an interior bus lane.

At the risk of using up bandwith ;), here are two pictures (one of the B44, one showing 34th St) to show what I mean

BusBulbpciture.png

34thStpicture.png

Until the sidewalk extensions are built however, the M15 and M34 will have to leave the interior bus lane to stop at the curb.

[first pic is of Church Av & Nostrand Av and second pic is of 34th St and 9th Av]

According to this, there are no skipped stops. But the M16 should really run in the bus lane and take receipts, or there will be delays as above.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/201106_34th_sbs_newsletter.pdf

Actually, the curbside bus lanes on 34th St are going to be replaced with interior bus lanes. The sidewalk is going to be extended at M34 stops to the interior lane so the M34 can stay in the bus lane. The local (in this case, the M16) is going to still stop at the curb.

The M15 is supposed to get sidewalk extensions for every stop that's located along an interior bus lane.

At the risk of using up bandwith ;), here are two pictures (one of the B44, one showing 34th St) to show what I mean

Until the sidewalk extensions are built however, the M15 and M34 will have to leave the interior bus lane to stop at the curb.

[first pic is of Church Av & Nostrand Av and second pic is of 34th St and 9th Av]

Oh I didn't realize it was going to be like that; there shouldn't be any delays then. But the tickets should be good on both the M16 and M34 because for people going just a few blocks whichever comes first will be faster. Just like the M15 for going a short distance, get a ticket and just flash it at the driver if a local comes first.

The article also points out that off-board fare collection will be for both the M16 and the M34...

Hmm, I got an error trying to open up the link. "There was an error processing a page. There was a problem reading this document (109)." Well if it is then yeah that's perfect.

It is eventually supposed to use all artics. The line WILL be full SBS. There will be no local runs any longer. The M16 will act as the local.

I don't see what stops the M34 could bypass as a crosstown.

It would make things a lot simpler. You know the procedure for buses on 34th Street: Buy the ticket and get on the first bus that comes, rather than having the confusion of one bus being local and one bus being +SBS+ (since the +SBS+ realistically can't skip any stops)

It would make things a lot simpler. You know the procedure for buses on 34th Street: Buy the ticket and get on the first bus that comes, rather than having the confusion of one bus being local and one bus being +SBS+ (since the +SBS+ realistically can't skip any stops)

Yeah, but the two buses don't go to the same places, so you can't necessarily just jump on the first bus that comes. Both buses will have the pay before boarding feature, so in a way they both have a SBS feature.

This might be tough for locals but EXP will benefit to MADISON AND 6 AVE

Having said that just imagine this svc trying to get to 6 ave with EXP buses making turns .

It also helps New York Waterway Shuttle Bus and other buses.

M34 SBS might be another problem since tourists also take ride on enroute to/from East River Ferry.

M34SBS/M16 Local serves tourists attraction at East River Ferry, Empire State Building, Penn Station, Javits Center (M34).

Yeah, but the two buses don't go to the same places, so you can't necessarily just jump on the first bus that comes. Both buses will have the pay before boarding feature, so in a way they both have a SBS feature.

No, but they do spend a good portion of their route overlapping. In the whole distance between 2nd Avenue and 9th Avenue, I'm sure there are plenty of people who could take either bus.

No, but they do spend a good portion of their route overlapping. In the whole distance between 2nd Avenue and 9th Avenue, I'm sure there are plenty of people who could take either bus.

No question about that. I have done it myself, but the point I was making is that the two routes aren't like the M15 per se where both buses go to the same destination. I know they overlap for most their routes, but they still aren't the same bus. I'm curious as to how the frequencies will be changed too, esp. if the M34 runs articts. I don't think the frequencies of either are that great and it seems as if they run together, so you'll get the M16 and M34 and then nothing, which is quite annoying. :mad:

• 1 month later...
Some times when there is heaey traffic into Lincoln Tunnel, both (MTA) and NY Waterway shuttle bus runs on center median lane along 12th to 11th Avs to beat traffic. Traffic agents know their in rush.

I noticed that as well. I always wondered what were the legal conditions when they do that...we all know if you or I did that in our own vehicle they would have a field day with us.

3 Av & Lexington Av have been consolidated into one stop, as have 5 Av and Madison Av. So that's two less stops.

I don't know if it will work out or not. I'm pretty optimistic though.

There are other potential crosstown corridors for SBS: Examples:

86th St

14th St [M14D]

125th St

I would add 23 St and 42 St to that list

Archived