M34 +SelectBusService+

East New York

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well most of those naked buses were at Quill yesterday, so I'm sure they had enough buses for today's pullouts -- they definitely cut it close though. Yep, also wonder if 3830-3831 are still gonna stay at Quill, make that 4 extras..

7 buses for each run..., yeah that is pretty close

Well now that they've 'merged' the M16 with the M34, can they at least 'split' the B41 into the B41a [Kings plaza] and B41b [bergen Beach]? Same for the M15s that goes to either Houston or South Ferry.

I predict that they will start using suffixes again but only for routes with lots in common (B41 is a good example of that). I highly doubt they'll be used for short turns.

Good morning,

I'm surprised no one has reported on the new M34SBS debut.

What's the verdict? How'd it go?

Well, I was out there on Sunday, so far, it sucked. Peeps waited like 30 minutes for a M34A, but that was because of the Lincoln Tunnel, Queens-Midtown Tunnel & a film shoot on the upper levels of the Queensboro Bridge. This week will be the real test.

As for people getting along with the change, so far so good....

I rode it yesterday and it's not bad but there is a LOT of room for improvement. It was really cool and very strange to see the NG's in the SBS wrap. Now all they have to do is finish the job by wrapping the doors and then they'll be great lol. The ride itself was faster when there wasn't much traffic to deal with. Now the flaws are that there HAS to be a dedicated bus lane for this to be a success on 34th St. I took the bus the M34 and M34A twice and the 2nd time around was the worse one because people were waiting a long time for the bus and it was packed when it finally arrived, which leads me to my other point. This line needs LFSA's. I realized that the LFSA's are the best bus for this kind of operation and with a line as packed as the M34, it needs bigger buses to handle the load, especially now that it's a part of the SBS family. There is hope for this to work but if the DOT and the (MTA) don't work to make the nescessary changes to this line, then they might as well had left it alone to begin with but time will tell and I hope the route gets faster as a result of the new SBS. Fingers crossed! Lol

I rode it yesterday and it's not bad but there is a LOT of room for improvement. It was really cool and very strange to see the NG's in the SBS wrap. Now all they have to do is finish the job by wrapping the doors and then they'll be great lol. The ride itself was faster when there wasn't much traffic to deal with. Now the flaws are that there HAS to be a dedicated bus lane for this to be a success on 34th St. I took the bus the M34 and M34A twice and the 2nd time around was the worse one because people were waiting a long time for the bus and it was packed when it finally arrived, which leads me to my other point. This line needs LFSA's. I realized that the LFSA's are the best bus for this kind of operation and with a line as packed as the M34, it needs bigger buses to handle the load, especially now that it's a part of the SBS family. There is hope for this to work but if the DOT and the (MTA) don't work to make the nescessary changes to this line, then they might as well had left it alone to begin with but time will tell and I hope the route gets faster as a result of the new SBS. Fingers crossed! Lol

This was exactly what I expected, but others said, Oh no, the service should be rolled out with those small narrow NGs... :) I imagine that boarding exiting was a problem at times no?

This was exactly what I expected, but others said, Oh no, the service should be rolled out with those small narrow NGs... :) I imagine that boarding exiting was a problem at times no?

It wasn't hard for me to board or exit the bus but when I was on the crowded M34, I could only go as far as the door so I wasn't trying to smash myself into the bus, especially since I was only going a couple of stops.

It wasn't hard for me to board or exit the bus but when I was on the crowded M34, I could only go as far as the door so I wasn't trying to smash myself into the bus, especially since I was only going a couple of stops.

You got lucky then. Usually the bus empties out and fills up again, which can create a problem at some stops, but yeah, artics would work so much better on both the M34 and M34A. I usually board at 8th or 7th Avenue to go to 5th or Madison Avenue and 7th, 6th and Madison (no longer a stop) can be a real pain in the ***.

Well, with some of us agreeing about 40ft NG's not being fit on the (M34)+SBS I ask Why didn't they have the D60HF's wrapped instead? They would be off to a good start with putting them on the (M34)+SBS as they have more room & relieve passenger congestion.
they dont have alot of them in manhatten so they used what they had, if it was in the bronx they may had been done

Well, with some of us agreeing about 40ft NG's not being fit on the (M34)+SBS I ask Why didn't they have the D60HF's wrapped instead? They would be off to a good start with putting them on the (M34)+SBS as they have more room & relieve passenger congestion.

They don't have enough artics to supply 34th street and still make service on all the other Manhattan lines that use them.

I would've made some kind of local service on 34 St since Madison and Lexington are skipped

That would've defeated the purpose of this then. Local buses, only making two extra stops, would clog up the "select buses" and force them to either merge with traffic and go around them, or wait until they finish. It's totally not worth it just for two stops.

I needed to take the M34 SBS today to get to work right in the middle of rush hour (about 8:40 am) and I was pretty impressed by the service. The B/O's seemed to really want to keep the line moving, and they were really hustling along.

In fact, right as I got off the the QM5 at 34th and 3rd and got onto the SBS, my QM5 B/O was nearly hit by an SBS bus coming way too fast up the bus lane on 34th. He was not pleased, to say the least, lol.

People did not seem too fazed by the SBS, probably because 1st and 2nd Avenues already have had the service for a while now. I agree that having the NG's on the line is probably not the most efficient use, though they can maneuver around the lanes on 34th street a lot better than the Artics. Until the dedicated bus lane is installed (in the next few months, I think), i can see the value of having NG's, perhaps interspersed with some Artics, especially at rush hours.

Archived