R160s on (M) line starting on monday

trainfan22

Starting this monday the (M) line will be 100% R160s. There will be only one or two R42s on the (M) during rush hours which are put ins from CI yard. But during the midday the (M) line will be 100% R160. So friday 4/3/08 will be the last day R42s will be dominating the (M) line. This is very sad news being that this is the beginning of the end of railfanning the nyc subway...

The (MTA) has enough R160As on property. More than enough. But they can't run them on lines like the (J) because CCTVs aren't up and running yet. They are using platform conductors for places where they'd usually need CCTVs.

And the minute I heard this news last week on sub chat I decided to railfan the (M) instead of the (J) like I do every Friday. Thisll be the first time I'll be on the (M).

Its not going to be 100% R 160 on the (M) Line. There are going to run a few trains. I found out some T/O's are not quilified on the R 160 including most of the switchmen. Ofcause thats good new for me because I told Supervison I am quilified and ready because I also work the (L) Line.

Yay! I wonder how the announcements for the rush hour routing would be like.....

At Fulton Street Bay Parkway bound

"This is a Brooklyn bound (M) train to Bay Parkway. The next stop is Broad Street."

At Fulton Street Metropolitan Avenue bound

"This is a Brooklyn bound (M) train to Metropolitan Avenue. The next stop is Chambers Street."

or the MTA change up what they normally do with automated announcements and say its going Queens bound but that'll confuse people going to BLYN northbound.

I guess we'll wait and see come monday.

Well, Looks like I'm done with railfanning. A sad day indeed. I won't be hearing any air brakes screaming loud from the 42s hitting that timer before metro anymore and I won't be able to look out the window that made me a railfan anymore. I've been riding the M all my life and looking out that window, now its gone. Oh well.

I like the new cars, but it is a shame they make enjoying the trip as a railfan more difficult. I do however, like getting an empty car & fooling around with the g forces on the new ones as they seem to have more space for such activities.

- Andy

Just alittle currection only the (A) will get R42MK cars. The (C) have have the C/R boards for those trains since C/R is located in a diffrent car then the R 32/38 Equipment. The C/R operates out of the T/O postion while R42 don't have door controls in the T/O position and no plans to run a 10 car (C) train.

T/O's and C/R's alike are not too happy about R42MK cars because they are crappy to operate.

T/O's and C/R's alike are not too happy about R42MK cars because they are crappy to operate.

Just curious...what about them is crappy to operate? I've heard the tales of the R68A brakes, and the "rubber band" effect on the R32's. The R42 motors seem to be in pretty good shape (especially their 0-10 MPH acceleration), but it seems there's been a bunch getting taken OoS for B/O brakes and the like...so I guess my question is, is it something operational about the cars that's a problem, or more just along the lines of their condition getting worse?

C/R's don't like the cabs and the buttion seem to get struck sometimes. Also Door problems are a common problem with these trains now.

T/O's like me don't like them because while the braking is nothing like the R68A or the R42CI it seem like you take a small brake and it grabs way too much and the next time you take it don't grab as good . Its alot of stuff but it comes down to poor maintance = poor performance.

Archived