Union Pacific to/from California..

Brighton Local

Awesome! 7763 is Beast

Thanks! Haha yeah its is!

Nice!

Do you think that 2nd train had enough power? :cool:

Oh by the way (Z), did you hear that UP is going to keep its geeps & fix them up & upgrade them? :eek:

- A

I would think that some of the loco's were just in tow, but who knows.. Really? They're keeping the Geeps? I thought these new 'Gensets' were replacing Geeps across the Country on all major Railroads..

Correction, they will be working on 400 SD40-2's, not the GP40's, but there WILL be a few yard slug conversions of the GP40's, as well as calf-cow for helpers and mid-consist power.

- A

Ever since I got my MTH BNSF SD40-2 Models, Im trying to find one to photograph. They're awesome! So, they'll be working on 400 of them huh? I have to find some new areas to get new U/P & BNSF Stuff. I want some SD40-2 Shots..

Yes, they will be getting microprocessor controls, including fuel management controls, as well as remote control operation modules so they can be operated remotely in yards. The plan is for UP to operate them on lighter duties to free up some of the heavy movers. They will be repainted and renumbered in the 1500 series and the work will be done at the Jenks shops near Little Rock, AK. I think the repainting will be done somewhere else.

The GP40 series locos on the other hand are being handed off to short lines, and the common carriers seem to be converting them to both yard slug and calf-cow configurations. For instance NS is expanding its use of road slugs, some of UP and BNSF geeps may get the same treatment, but whatever the case they will not be around in original configuration for too much longer. The GP38's "on property" will likely run local moves on NS especially till they expire, not sure bout the other 'roads.

This development, along with transit agencies adopting GE, brookville, and alstom/bombardier power are making geeps an endangered species.

- A

• 1 month later...

Archived