What would be the best and worst bus route and why?

m106crosstown

for some reason when i ride in an orion 5 it feels like im riding in a train
My only gripe about the Orion V is the fact that it has 5 gears. The Orion V CNG and the PBL Orion V's have 6 gears. RTS also only has 4 gears (ZF has 6 IIRC).

My only gripe about the Orion V is the fact that it has 5 gears. The Orion V CNG and the PBL Orion V's have 6 gears. RTS also only has 4 gears (ZF has 6 IIRC).

The gears don't matter to me. They take off. The New Flyer CNG is still a 40ft favorite though.

NIMBY's? :confused:

NIMBY = Not In My Back Yard. People who are opposed to transit increases, on the basis that it would potentially invade their precious private space.

The Bx14 would be added to the worst list, but it's ON TIME most of the time, AM Rush, I've only seen it bunch up once, but that was due to construction delays. It's usually full of seats too.

The Bx14 is really a "nothing" route. Its only purpose is to connect a neighborhood, Country Club, with a train, the (6). It's one of just three Bronx routes that I've never been on (the others being the Bx20 and the Bx33).

The Bx14 is really a "nothing" route.
Don't hate on my Bx14 like that. :) jk

BX41, BX55
I have seen the Bx15 beat the Bx55 pretty often, and the Bx15 runs every 20 minutes in the bronx at late nights (then again it replaces the Bx55). Also the Bx41 took 1 hour to come at AM Rush one day. I don't know why but still one WHOLE hour! That's like route 14 @ westchester. Service before 6AM sucks too, doesn't do the whole route, from 149st to Fordham, then another 41 from Fordham to 241st. It makes me sick.
BX16 (LONG WAITS)
I think MTA fixed the Bx16 on the weekdays (instead of 2 different Bx16's, they ALL do the whole route the whole time), I find it to be reliable and FAST! It comes enough times for it's ridership. Weekends suck still, but it's still empty. It's way better than the Bx30 IMO since the Bx16 knows that a schedule exists.

I have seen the Bx15 beat the Bx55 pretty often, and the Bx15 runs every 20 minutes in the bronx at late nights (then again it replaces the Bx55). Also the Bx41 took 1 hour to come at AM Rush one day. I don't know why but still one WHOLE hour! That's like route 14 @ westchester. Service before 6AM sucks too, doesn't do the whole route, from 149st to Fordham, then another 41 from Fordham to 241st. It makes me sick.

The Bx19 can be almost as bad as that sometimes. I take it every day, and there have been multiple times that I've had to wait 30-40 minutes for it.

I think MTA fixed the Bx16 on the weekdays (instead of 2 different Bx16's, they ALL do the whole route the whole time), I find it to be reliable and FAST! It comes enough times for it's ridership. Weekends suck still, but it's still empty. It's way better than the Bx30 IMO since the Bx16 knows that a schedule exists.

Yes, the two separate Bx16 routes were joined earlier this year (January, I think). Since its main purpose is to service Mount Saint Michael Academy students, and the shopping center at the end of the route has been shut until January 2009, I doubt we're going to see any increase in service on that route anytime soon.

What would be the best and worst bus route and why?

I don't want to complie whole lists, so I'll try & limit my answer(s)....

Worst: This is easy for me... It's The B82.

A long drawn out route that got extended to coney island a while back... sure, canal av wasn't your "ideal" terminal, but that extension... who benefits from it? sure as hell not starrett city riders, not flatlands av riders (those that exist), cropsey av ridership is almost null... and hell, I'm even willing to say, not even coney island riders benefit from it.... worse, its headways for such a lengthy route, aren't good at all...

where (and before) the B6 & the B82 splits off @ Ralph, ppl. bombard the B6 due to its high frequency, it's reliability, and... the fact it takes you to a subway quicker heading WB...

side note: bring back the B5 (with some type of route variation) & the B50... b/c this B82 is horrid.

Best: I'll give the edge to the B46 over the B44 only b/c 46's run more frequent, and arrive on time more often... the LTD to local ratio on the B46 is 1:1 (one LTD, one local... one LTD, one local... you get the point)... on the B44, it's more like 1:2 (every 2 locals, then a LTD)... you don't get tied up in traffic too much on Utica av/Malcolm X blvd, so rides are relatively smooth...

I didn't choose the B41 (although headways b/w buses are slightly less than that of the B46, and the LTD to local ratio is 2:1, so it seems) b/c it's almost a given that you'll be in "stop & go" traffic (I hate that) along the length of flatbush av, south of empire blvd... not good for a route that constantly crushloads...

Best: Hmm how about the Bx12 at the Summer time? On the Bus Map, it says service is continuous, doesn't even tell the minutes/seconds between them. That's alot of service! Forgot all about that.

Worst: Bx8 on weekends. Service ends @ 8PM on a Sunday, for such a long route? WTF!

Archived