Restructuring MTA Regional Bus Operations

East New York

This is my proposal to the MTA as what needs to happen within the Department of Buses in order for them to return to profitability, while serving the best interests of the passengers, and employees.

MTA Bus needs to be merged into New York City Transit immediately.The current contracts can stay in place until they are all renegotiated one by one as they expire. But until then, the two agencies can still streamlign operations, and save money by getting rid of the "MTA Bus" titles.

MTA Department of Regional Buses

(MTA) New York City Bus

-MaBSTOA(OA) Division

-NYCTA(TA) Division

-Bus Company(BC) Division

(MTA) Long Island Bus Division

-To be completely taken over buy MTA, overhauled, and subsidized by the governments of Nassau County, and The State of New York. It also needs to be streamlined with NYCT operations in eastern Queens.

-East New York will continue to serve as Surface Transit Headquarters, Brooklyn Base Shops, and Maintenance Training Facility.

-Spring Creek needs to become South Brooklyn Division Headquarters/Training Facility.

-Fresh Pond will remain Brooklyn Headquarters for the North Division.

-Grand Avenue would serve as the CMF for 126 Street, Fresh Pond, LaGuardia, Casey Stengel, and College Point Depots.

-Jackie Gleason need to become Central Maintenance Facility for Brooklyn CNG operations.

-College Point should be CNG/Alternative Fuels Bus Testing Facility.

-The New Jamaica Depot should be MTA East Division Emergency/Disaster Command Center

-Baisley Park Depot would become MTA Articulated Bus Operations Training Facility.

The new 126th Street Depot would be NYCT R&D Headquarters, and West Division Emergency/Command Facility

Zerega would continue as Base Shop, & Central Training Facility

-Castleton needs to be rebuilt, and take over as Staten Island CMF.

This way, routes could be swapped and transferred between all TA, OA, BC, and LI depots. Operations would run smoother, and the TA could save hundreds of millions of dollars on more efficient operations.

What do you think?

I wholeheartedly agree about Castleton needing a rebuild. The depot looks shot and some of their buses seem as if they're being neglected somewhat. Do you mind telling me what CMF means by the way?

I wholeheartedly agree about Castleton needing a rebuild. The depot looks shot and some of their buses seem as if they're being neglected somewhat. Do you mind telling me what CMF means by the way?

CMF is Central Maintenance Facility.

On OP, I disagree some things. You dont need CMF all boroughs. You creating more unnecessary management which MTA does not need it. Yet you called that efficient on your proposal...

I agree with MTAB becoming NYCB, but LIB would still have to remain a separate division, even if it remains under MTA control.

LIB stop restrictions and funding would not allow it to become NYCB and still have stop restictions in city limits and funding coming from LI and the state-soley...Nassau people would have a fit their buses are now filling up with people riding within Queens.

What exactly happens at a division emergency & disaster command center?

They would coordinate operations during any unforeseen incidents. Like severe weather or other natural disasters that could affect bus service, emergency subway shuttle management, any DOB emergency for the area, etc.

CMF is Central Maintenance Facility.

On OP, I disagree some things. You dont need CMF all boroughs. You creating more unnecessary management which MTA does not need it. Yet you called that efficient on your proposal...

Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. Not every borough. This would allow different light to heavy maintenance duties to be carried out at different depots. This would allow flexibility when planning maintenance, routes, and transfers. Management would stay the same. It's just that the responsibilities

Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. Not every borough. This would allow different light to heavy maintenance duties to be carried out at different depots. This would allow flexibility when planning maintenance, routes, and transfers. Management would stay the same. It's just that the responsibilities of some depots would change.

We already have Zerega Avenue as CMF in the Bronx and Grand Avenue as CMF in Queens (even though it's a Brooklyn Division depot). I agree with w8Hou; you don't really need CMF in every Borough but I will agree Staten Island should indeed have a CMF within its own borough (but will Castleton make a good candidate???). Three seems like enough.

We already have Zerega Avenue as CMF in the Bronx and Grand Avenue as CMF in Queens (even though it's a Brooklyn Division depot). I agree with w8Hou; you don't really need CMF in every Borough but I will agree Staten Island should indeed have a CMF within its own borough (but will Castleton make a good candidate???). Three seems like enough.

No, Staten Island does not need CMF; they can go to Brooklyn in about 30 minutes.Yukon and especially Castleton needs more maintenance bays and no more layoffs on workers. Charleston really needs to be open when winter comes....

Because over the next 24 months, major changes will be going on within the TA. Most of which will be posted here.

When there is major changes and its really important... it should be sticky. In this case, not really important.

In this section, theres 10 sticky topics, some of the topics needs to be unsticky.

When there is major changes and its really important... it should be sticky. In this case, not really important.

In this section, theres 10 sticky topics, some of the topics needs to be unsticky.

True. Over the next ten days we will be making some major updates to the site, and posting other bus changes in this thread. I and evaluating what threads need to be removed from the sticky right now.

Details of the new Bx4A, and Bx24 will also be posted here soon.

True. Over the next ten days we will be making some major updates to the site, and posting other bus changes in this thread. I and evaluating what threads need to be removed from the sticky right now.

Details of the new Bx4A, and Bx24 will also be posted here soon.

But this topic should not be a sticky and still theres too many.

But this topic should not be a sticky and still theres too many.

Ummmm, How do you figure this topic shouldn't be sticky? I'm not new to the site.. I'm just a new member....Do you really think your choice dictate a sticky topic? There are more folks on the forum than "JUST YOU"... with that being said. I believe it should be a sticky topic, so that we all can stay up to date... If you don't want too, its perfectly find.. but i don't want to have to search for the shyt every time I log it... STICK IT PLZ! SIDENOTE: IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT... MOVE ON!

NYCTF (MTA) Exclusive!

In another effort to restructure the MTA, and save much needed cash, DOB will order 270 new Ultra low sulfur clean diesel buses from New Flyer, NovaBus, and Orion. The original plan called for Diesels from Nova, and hybrids from both New Flyer and Orion. The NovaBus order has now been confirmed, with the Orion order up next. After that, New Flyer. See details of this new development here!

In an effort to further streamline operations, the MTA will replace the all the radios on NYCT, and MTABC buses. The new radio system will be merged together, and both divisions will share a dispatch command center in ENY.

Another step towards the fusion lol.

It makes sense since I'm sure NYCB & MTAB share a lot of the same detours and stuff.

(MTA) Long Island Bus Division

-To be completely taken over buy MTA, overhauled, and subsidized by the governments of Nassau County, and The State of New York.

Nassau County is already completely unwilling to subsidize the Nassau-owned bus system or pay its contract carrier (the (MTA)). That won't change any time soon, which is why MTA wants to return Long Island Bus to the County.

Let's try an analogy... If you hired some landscapers to mow your lawn every week but then decided to stop paying them, would they keep mowing or would they walk away?? They would walk away, just as the MTA now wants to walk away. Plus, if they were using their own mowers, they'd take the mowers with them to use elsewhere!

Nassau County is already completely unwilling to subsidize the Nassau-owned bus system or pay its contract carrier (the (MTA)). That won't change any time soon, which is why MTA wants to return Long Island Bus to the County.

Let's try an analogy... If you hired some landscapers to mow your lawn every week but then decided to stop paying them, would they keep mowing or would they walk away?? They would walk away, just as the MTA now wants to walk away. Plus, if they were using their own mowers, they'd take the mowers with them to use elsewhere!

I totally understand. It's just that everything is so crazy right now, that it almost seems as anything could happen. My suggestion was the state make up the difference, or they need to make Nassau pay their fair share. But yeah, I see MTA pulling out unless the come up with some kind of agreement.

I totally understand. It's just that everything is so crazy right now, that it almost seems as anything could happen. My suggestion was the state make up the difference, or they need to make Nassau pay their fair share. But yeah, I see MTA pulling out unless the come up with some kind of agreement.

Hopefully they will come to some agreement before January 2011 which is coming as we speak they're putting thousands of LIB riders at jeopardy which is really unacceptable!

Archived