Restructuring MTA Regional Bus Operations

East New York

Rumors mean nothing. Seriously. This is New York, where anything can happen, or not happen, or happen and then un-happen. (Anybody who has paid attention to NY politics in general, and the MTA in particular, has seen everything and nothing happen at the same time!)

I tend to follow two basic rules...

1. Don't bet on anything until after it happens.

2. Even then, don't bet more than $1 because things can still get weird.

You know they're both going to pull "hurr we confirmed this" anyway...

Rumors mean nothing. Seriously. This is New York, where anything can happen, or not happen, or happen and then un-happen. (Anybody who has paid attention to NY politics in general, and the MTA in particular, has seen everything and nothing happen at the same time!)

I tend to follow two basic rules...

1. Don't bet on anything until after it happens.

2. Even then, don't bet more than $1 because things can still get weird.

Very true. But what is not a rumor is that College Point and Spring Creek will eventually be merged into TA. The only question is when! There is a lot of speculation about when, and who's first. That will may have to just wait for. But it's going to happen. Besides, KR is going to Quill next spring....... The writing is pretty much on the wall! Personally, I think we are just waiting for the new unified radio dispatch equipment.

Will all that good Clever Devices hardware be like LI's or will it be new for NYCT?

Again, they're useless if operators will leave it off or let it run behind stops. I remember watching a few members' bus ride recordings of city buses... I was surprised when I saw no sort of next stop indicator and when I saw that bus operator lift up his radio, I thought a passenger did something, but then I realized he was announcing all the stops....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

With Long Island Bus on it's way out the door, I decided to dig this thread back and continue this conversation. Reading through this thread has been quite an interesting read. From the rumors to the facts, it has been quite an interesting year.

MTA Department of Buses will now be able to focus completely on its core operations within New York City. This will include the integration of the all new MTA Bus and NYCT Bus Command Center (BCC) operations at East New York, standardized bus radio system across both divisions, Intelligent Vehicle Network Systems, Real Bus Time, and standard fareboxes just to name a few.

Construction of the new BCC is to begin immediately. The TA/BC operations are now scheduled to be merged and online by the Q4 2017.

Archived