NBA, NHL and other sports thread Fall 2010

Shortline Bus

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never put an seed down from the rip. Because the 8th seeded Thunder took the Lakers to a Game 6 last year, and dont forget Game 6 was almost the Thunder if it wasnt for that last second shot from Gasol. O and dont forget about the Knicks that went to the Finals in 1998-1999 as a 8 Seed.

Don't forget as FG mentioned the 98-99 season was a lockout/strike year in which the league only played about 50 games. Plus the Knicks was expected to be a contender to make the Finals in the first year of the Post Jordan/Bulls Dystany era. NY had most of it's key players out for most of the season and then got 'hot' as the playoffs started before losing to SA. Not to mention Hall of Famer patrick Ewing last good season of his career.

So the '99 Knicks was much better than a #8 seed and probably would have been no worse than a #4 seed if a full season had been played.

In a full NBA season, the #8 seed has never made the NBA Championship Finals.

Shifting gears to current NBA season. Was listening to WFAN's Mike Francesa show today (11/17/10)and a caller correctly pointed out that someone on E-Bay is selling Heat/Knicks tickets (not front court)with descent seats for their 1st meeting at MSG featuring so called "King" Lebron, for $20,000 each.

Yet season tickets for those same seats was only $6,000.

Talk about a mark up lol.

And Lebraon is also making news as a 'finalist' for both 2010's Time Magazine's "Person" aka Newsmaker of the year and and Sports Illustrated "Sportsmen of the Year." Reactions?

I think Lebraon has a chance to be SI's 2010 Winner(More about his hype than anything)than Time magazine which rarely if ever gives it to a sports star. what you think?

I hate Lebron James. I am sick and tired of all these people pushing him to the top of the world. This guy is not the best player in the world. The only reason why everyone is on his mojo is because he is 6'8 and playing 2 guard(Point & Shooting) and can even play the 4 spot. James is not as good as everyone says he is. He is good at his size, but not all around.

O and also, if James could not dunk like he does, there is no way people would be on his shyt.

I hate Lebron James. I am sick and tired of all these people pushing him to the top of the world. This guy is not the best player in the world. The only reason why everyone is on his mojo is because he is 6'8 and playing 2 guard(Point & Shooting) and can even play the 4 spot. James is not as good as everyone says he is. He is good at his size, but not all around.

O and also, if James could not dunk like he does, there is no way people would be on his shyt.

I am not a big mr. james fan either. Granted he a great player and future NBA Hall Of Famer.

My biggest pet peeve is that the media especially ESPN trying to make him the new "Micheal Jordan." Like Elvis, Micheal Jackson, Babe Ruth or other immortals in other sports/entertainment, there only '1' MJ.

ESPN which did not have the TV contract when Jordan played, deseparte for another MJ promotes him for that purpose.

Also ESPN/ABC is main TV home for NBA spends $500 Million-plus a year for TV rights. TNT pays also pays close to that.

At the end of his carrer, Lebron will be a HOF but never an immortal player like Magic, Chamerblain, West, Bird, Russell or Jordan.:eek:

PS IMO, the best players in the last 12-15 years in the Post Micheal Jordan(not counting his 2001 comeback)are Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan.

I just watched the Press Conf. on NBA TV. I feel bad for the kid. Its a shame. What he has to do is stay positive. Look @ Grant Hill and how he is doing now. Tracy McGrady is currently trying to restart is career again and is not going so well, as he turned his ankle in tonights game vs. lakers.

Back on Greg Oden, the good thing is that he is 22, he has alot of basketball in him. He is just going to have to change his game. Oden is a free agent after this season, and no team will even take a chance, so i think Portland will sign him back on a 1yr deal. I feel really bad for him.

1998-99 was an abbreviated lockout season, but you still have a point. Had Allan Houston missed that shot against Miami, Jeff Van Gundy would've been fired.

Otoh, then the Knicks wouldn't have wasted so much money signing him to a $100 mil contract where he was injured most of the time. Money that could've been better spent going after some other free agent. [i dunno who, but saying it would've been better than an oft injured Houston].

I just watched the Press Conf. on NBA TV. I feel bad for the kid. Its a shame. What he has to do is stay positive. Look @ Grant Hill and how he is doing now. Tracy McGrady is currently trying to restart is career again and is not going so well, as he turned his ankle in tonights game vs. lakers.

Back on Greg Oden, the good thing is that he is 22, he has alot of basketball in him. He is just going to have to change his game. Oden is a free agent after this season, and no team will even take a chance, so i think Portland will sign him back on a 1yr deal. I feel really bad for him.

Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady still in the league? They are both old men(for NBA standards) who both had good carrers. Not trying to be mean to them but they both need to retire and Go home with rest of your lives.' Ditto for Shaq being a 9-10th men off the bench for the Celtics as well:cool::eek:

anyone remember Eddy Curry....

anyone remember the knicks being the only fools to a] consider signing him, and b] actually following through with signing this guy after all the health problems he had while he was in chicago....

don't be surprised if the knicks also go after this guy Oden also....

the knicks gotta be even bigger fools to think a guy named timofey molotov... I meant, mozgov, is gonna be their future starting center to build a franchise around...

laughing my....

f**ing ass off

1998-99 was an abbreviated lockout season, but you still have a point. Had Allan Houston missed that shot against Miami, Jeff Van Gundy would've been fired.

If Riley didn't nuthug John Starks in the 1994 finals, the Knicks wouldn't be as big a laughing stock in the league as they are now.

I would gladly take any 1990's Knicks team over this current garbage product. People used to diss Ewing for choking in the playoffs, but losing in the 2nd round is a lot better than being a perennial lottery team.

Not to mention maybe the best NBA team of all time the 1990's Bulls Juggernut led by Mr. Jordan.

Without Micheal, Pippen and company, the Knicks probably win at least '1' title in the '90's.

The Heat lost again. So much for them being immortal...

What I don't understand is that in 1996, Jordan, his overrated sidekick, a crossdresser, a soft Serbian, and a bunch of CBA players won 72 games. Yet, the Miami team that has two future Hall of Famers and one of the best centers in the league may not even win 50 games.

I was watching some of that game.... they (grizzlies) came back & won ???

as far as your post, bro... I'll put it to you like this....

that crossdresser (Rodman) & that soft serbian (Kukoc) got REBOUNDS for those Bulls Teams... it was a different game back then....

Ilgauskas being one of the best centers in the league... isn't saying much for the league right now...

the Center position as we once knew it, is dying a slow death anyway...

continuing on from the above point.... the NBA now is dominated by PG's, the emergence of something called "point forwards", and a bunch of tall, lanky ass dudes that do nothin but shoot from the perimeter - on some teams, guys that fit this description are being passed off as power forwards....

What's the problem with that?

With the lack of "true" centers coming out of college, and thanks to a little something called a defensive 3 second violation, this makes rebounding a little tougher - which places an emphasis on teams having to invest in a bunch of scorers/shooters to kinda compensate for it... I mean, just take a look at how many long rebounds you see in a game... how many times you see a point guard grabbing rebounds (Jason Kidd aside, b/c he's always been notorious for that)....

Regarding this heat team, there is no cohesion....

think of those knicks teams when they had marbury, francis, crawford, richardson, etc... I'm not saying they're wade, lebron, & bosh, but the point is, you have these players with offensive tendencies.... but as far as defense & rebounding, it isn't emphasized near as much....

and when you have your stars taking like 80% of the shots, and the other 20% are from players that are hesitant to even attempt to shoot (well, outside of eddie house, that's all that mahf**ka does), it creates problems....

Those Bulls teams back then, from 1-5 (PG to C), they were a complete team....

You can't (honestly) say the same about the 2010 Heat.....

Only team I can think of right now that fits that bill, maybe, are the 2010 Celtics

Swicthing to NHL for minute. RIP to former Devils Coach Pat Burns who lead NJ to 2003 Stanley Cup who passed away a few days ago from cancer.

Time to put former Montreal area former Police Officer Burns in the NHL Hall of Fame.

Plus anyone noticed how bad the Islanders are? As of Sunday 11/21/10, they have not won a game in 13 straight matches. They already fired their coach.

Not to mention they have among the lowest average attendence in all of Pro Hockey.

It's maybe getting close to time that Isles Owner Charles Wang will sell the team. Although it would be sad if they left Metro area, as they won '4' straight Cups in the '80's, not sure if NYC area can support '3' NHL clubs.

If they left maybe they can go to Canada(maybe Hamilton, Ontario is a possiblity)or if they stay in US, they can relocate to places like Seattle or Portland, Org.

Reactions?

Swicthing to NHL for minute. RIP to former Devils Coach Pat Burns who lead NJ to 2003 Stanley Cup who passed away a few days ago from cancer.

Time to put former Montreal area former Police Officer Burns in the NHL Hall of Fame.

Plus anyone noticed how bad the Islanders are? As of Sunday 11/21/10, they have not won a game in 13 straight matches. They already fired their coach.

Not to mention they have among the lowest average attendence in all of Pro Hockey.

It's maybe getting close to time that Isles Owner Charles Wang will sell the team. Although it would be sad if they left Metro area, as they won '4' straight Cups in the '80's, not sure if NYC area can support '3' NHL clubs.

If they left maybe they can go to Canada(maybe Hamilton, Ontario is a possiblity)or if they stay in US, they can relocate to places like Seattle or Portland, Org.

Reactions?

The Islanders, as a franchise, haven't been relevant since the 80's.... when it comes to something unfavorable/negative regarding them, I shrug my shoulders... b/c it's to be expected...

(and maybe b/c I'm a Rangers fan - we have our own problems w/ the blueshirts)

The Devils, however, have been flat out anemic on a game-in game-out basis... they have the most losses so far this season, and simply put, their stars aren't performing up to par (especially Kovalchuk, who has been an absolute BUST since coming to NJ - we're talking about a career 40 goal scorer/season here)...

The NASCAR 2010 season is a wrap and guess who won the series championship? Jimmie Johnson again. Johnson although not winning the last race at Homestead/Miami Motor speedway, finished in top 5 and thus won a record breaking 5th Straight Sprint Cup Title.

I know NASCAR is not big here but in a sportsyear in which not one sports star has dominated the North American sports scene, IMO Johnson should be given strong considerration for 2010 North American Sportsmen of the Year IMO. Another contender could be the Peguins Sidney Crosby who in less than a calendar won the 2009 Stanley Cup and the 2010 Hockey Gold Medal for Canada.

IMO here are the top other choices in the other sports in 2010.

MLB-Tim Lincuim Giants

NBA-Lebron

NFL-Drew Brews Saints. I know he was not Player of the Year/MVP but he was the leader of the Saints winning the Super Bowl last season and a symbol of the rebirth of New Orleans.

Reactions guys?

Blake Griffen is wasted by the Clippers. I wish he was on Miami instead of Chris Bosh.

Blake Griffen is such an explosive player. I like him and he has a nice mid range game and handels the ball very well. As for the Clippers, they are a disgrace of the NBA. I am surprised people even go Staples Center to see them. The people that go are there to see Griffen.

As for Chris Bosh, he is not explosive, he needs to the ball in his hand 90% of the time to be effective. He is not a great player, but he can put up points and get it done. He has yet to put up a double double this year. Last year on Toronto he was double double machine.

The Nuggets, they got to Trade Carmelo Anthony, he clearly doesnt want to be there. If someone said here is 65 Million over 3yrs wouldnt you sign that deal? New Jersey is still working out a dea to get him. JR Smith isnt playing well, well he been in the doghouse lately anyway. Nuggets are no longer contenders and are only .500 right now.

Pacers are up 52-35 over the superteam.

Hey 553 you stole that name LOL (joking of course)of Team Lebron/Wade with the 'superteam' name lol.:tup:

On serious matter, some 'bad' news for NBA fans. The NBA Players Boss told USA Today that '99%' chance that will be a work stoppage after the 2010 NBA Finals.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2010-11-22-players-union-lockout_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

At this point I don't care. I haven't been passionate about basketball in over a decade. There are a few guys in the league I like, but Miami is not the team I thought they would be and the Knicks are years away from being contenders. To add salt to the wound, the NFL is also having labor issues.

Archived