NBA, NHL and other sports thread Fall 2010

Shortline Bus

5 Christmas games is overkill, a triple header would have been good enough. In fact, I remember years ago when the Pacers used to host the Christmas game every year and actually meant something since they had good teams.

On UConn's win streak, winning 89 straight games is quite a feat and I am proud of what the team did although some people will devalue their accomplishment. Yes, there are way too many blowouts in women's college basketball but they won games and there was interest whether genuine or not.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 Christmas games is overkill, a triple header would have been good enough. In fact, I remember years ago when the Pacers used to host the Christmas game every year and actually meant something since they had good teams.

On UConn's win streak, winning 89 straight games is quite a feat and I am proud of what the team did although some people will devalue their accomplishment. Yes, there are way too many blowouts in women's college basketball but they won games and there was interest whether genuine or not.

Actually the Pacers hosted the Christmas game for most of the '90's. In the late 70's thru the early '90's, the Knicks and Suns hosted the game.

If anyone cares, the NJ Devils off to their worst start in years have fired rookie coach John McClean and replaced him with old man Jacques Lemaire. I never understood why Lemaire keeps 'retiring' and coming back every couple of years when team is in trouble.

Devils Part Owner/President Lou Lamoriello changes coaches more often than I guess he changes underwear lol. Lamoriello is the NHL version of Geroge Steinbrenner I guess.:eek:

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20101223/SPORTS08/101223015/Devils-fire-MacLean--bring-back-Lemaire

If anyone cares, the NJ Devils off to their worst start in years have fired rookie coach John McClean and replaced him with old man Jacques Lemaire. I never understood why Lemaire keeps 'retiring' and coming back every couple of years when team is in trouble.

Devils Part Owner/President Lou Lamoriello changes coaches more often than I guess he changes underwear lol. Lamoriello is the NHL version of Geroge Steinbrenner I guess.:eek:

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20101223/SPORTS08/101223015/Devils-fire-MacLean--bring-back-Lemaire

I thought that old man Jacques Lemaire was dead, lol.

He is 65 by the way. The Devils and the Islanders are done

for this season.

Charles Wang doesn't want to sell the team, I guess he can absorb losing millions of dollars every year. He paid 180 million along with his partner Sanjay Kumar about 9

years ago.

"If I had the chance," Wang said, "I wouldn't do it again." DUH

I miss NBA on NBC. I remember that cool jingle they had. They used to have three games in a row on Sunday. The lame or small market teams played the first game. The Bulls, Knicks, or Lakers always played the 3rd game.

My X-mas gift to you for 2010. It's called I think Roundball by John Tesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQ3IAriL0k

In almost full NBA Christmas Day schedule, some intresting results.

Knicks beat the Bulls while the Magic ended the Celtics long winning streak.

And at half (645pm Eastern)the superteam aka the Miami Lebraon/Wades lead the LA Fakers.

FYI. I may try to visit the LA area as well to watch either the Clippers game at the Staples Center on Thursday 12/30 or the Ducks Hockey game on New Years Eve.

Fakers? Lakers are just bord....the Heat are still trying to prove themselves. The Heat acted like they just won the Championship. Its just 1 game The Heat came into this game with something to prove, the Lakers dont need to prove anything. The Lakers will be ready when the time comes.

The 6 years the Superteam have and anything shy of one championship is a fail. They will not get to the finals this year. Boston will take them out.

The National Basketball Association has purchased the New Orleans Hornets franchise from majority owner George Shinn and minority owner Gary Chouest. The N.B.A. hopes to find a new ownership group.

Attendance hasn't exactly been the best since New Orleans returned to the N.B.A. in 2002-2003 though the team has had seasons of 56-36 (seven game loss to the Spurs in the N.B.A. Conference Semifinals; 47-39; and 47-35 during this time.

In 2002-2003, the Hornets attracted 641,683 for 41 home games at New Orleans Arena; in 2003-2004, 587,613; in 2004-2005, 583,070; in 2007-2008, 581,432; in 2008-2009, 695,727; in 2009-2010, 617,366, and 2010-2011 to date, 240,661. By comparison, the New Orleans Jazz' best was 1977-1978 when they attracted 527,351 for 41 home games at the Louisiana Superdome and 1975-1976 when they attracted 513,282.

This is New Orleans' third try with basketball: the city was the home of the New Orleans Jazz 1974-1975 through 1978-1979 (best season 39-43) and the American Basketball Association New Orleans Buccaneers 1967-1968 through 1969-1970 (best season 48-30; seven game loss to the Pittsburgh Pipers in the A.B.A. Finals).

Head Coach Phil Jackson's thoughts: http://sports.espn.go.com/losangeles/nba/news/story/?id=5968288

The National Basketball Association has purchased the New Orleans Hornets franchise from majority owner George Shinn and minority owner Gary Chouest. The N.B.A. hopes to find a new ownership group.

Attendance hasn't exactly been the best since New Orleans returned to the N.B.A. in 2002-2003 though the team has had seasons of 56-36 (seven game loss to the Spurs in the N.B.A. Conference Semifinals; 47-39; and 47-35 during this time.

In 2002-2003, the Hornets attracted 641,683 for 41 home games at New Orleans Arena; in 2003-2004, 587,613; in 2004-2005, 583,070; in 2007-2008, 581,432; in 2008-2009, 695,727; in 2009-2010, 617,366, and 2010-2011 to date, 240,661. By comparison, the New Orleans Jazz' best was 1977-1978 when they attracted 527,351 for 41 home games at the Louisiana Superdome and 1975-1976 when they attracted 513,282.

This is New Orleans' third try with basketball: the city was the home of the New Orleans Jazz 1974-1975 through 1978-1979 (best season 39-43) and the American Basketball Association New Orleans Buccaneers 1967-1968 through 1969-1970 (best season 48-30; seven game loss to the Pittsburgh Pipers in the A.B.A. Finals).

Head Coach Phil Jackson's thoughts: http://sports.espn.go.com/losangeles/nba/news/story/?id=5968288

553 already mentioned this a week or two ago but thanks EE. I think this is the NBA basically telling New Orleans that they need to bulid a new arena asap or risk losing the team and re-locating them probably to Seattle.

NO when they got the team from Carolina almost a decade ago, promised to bulid a new 'basketball only' arena. However a tragic event called Katrina delayed those plans.

Where have you been at? A desert island? This is old news now buddy.

Anyways I watched the Lakers Hornets game on League Pass last night and NBA does there halftime show now, Cox Sports TV no longer has the rights for the halftime show.

right now I'm watching:

- the uconn women about to lose !

(the streak is as good as over.. good... then espn can shut up about it)

- the tennessee football team get screwed late in the 4th qtr...

- the nowitzki-less mavs against the spurs...

just got through watching the knicks/magic about 1/2 hour ago...

today's a good day for sports

UConn woman's lost? Finally. Great point B35. While I congrat the Uconn Lady Huskies on maybe the most impressive mark in history of woman's sports pro or college, ESPN looks so foolish. For ESPN to compare it to other streaks in men's sports i.e John Wooden/UCLA's Men teams of the early 1970's, the Pats winning streak from a few season's ago, etc. is really like apples and oranges.:(

Shifting gears for minute. The NHL widly popular outdoor game also known as the 'winter classic' is facing it's first challenge.

The 2011 New Years match up between Sidney Crosby's Pens and the Captials held at Heinz Stadium home of the Steelers is predicted at face off to have temps between 45-50 degrees with rain. So should NHL Boss Gary Bettman and NBC postpone the game if this weather is correct?:confused:

rain.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2010-12-30-winter-classic-weather_N.htm

UConn woman's lost? Finally. Great point B35. While I congrat the Uconn Lady Huskies on maybe the most impressive mark in history of woman's sports pro or college, ESPN looks so foolish. For ESPN to compare it to other streaks in men's sports i.e John Wooden/UCLA's Men teams of the early 1970's, the Pats winning streak from a few season's ago, etc. is really like apples and oranges.:D

Not that I care about women's basketball, but in women's hoops there's a greater discrepancy in talent than men's basketball. That's why there are so many lopsided games. Lisa Leslie might be playing against the 5'3" freshman who tried out for her team a week ago.

Not that I care about women's basketball, but in women's hoops there's a greater discrepancy in talent than men's basketball. That's why there are so many lopsided games. Lisa Leslie might be playing against the 5'3" freshman who tried out for her team a week ago.

Very true. The gap between the powers in woman's hoops i.e UCONN, Univ. of Tenn. (with HOF Coach Pat Summitt)Rutgers, Stanford, etc. and the not so good teams is much worse than in men's hoops.

Shifting gears for minute. The NHL widly popular outdoor game also known as the 'winter classic' is facing it's first challenge.

The 2011 New Years match up between Sidney Crosby's Pens and the Captials held at Heinz Stadium home of the Steelers is predicted at face off to have temps between 45-50 degrees with rain. So should NHL Boss Gary Bettman and NBC postpone the game if this weather is correct?:confused:

rain.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2010-12-30-winter-classic-weather_N.htm

An update: Late on Friday Night (new years eve 2010)The NHL has changed the start time of the 2011 Winter Classic in Pittsburgh to 8pm eastern time.

Archived