Derailment at Penn Station

NX Express

Expect delays...

Home > Transit Advisories > Service Advisories > Service Advisory

TRAVEL ADVISORY: EXPECT DELAYS IN/OUT OF NEW YORK PENN STATION MONDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING

Issued: October 25, 2010

Due to an earlier slow-speed derailment within the New York Penn Station complex, NJ TRANSIT service in and out of New York Penn Station will be impacted during the afternoon and evening hours of Monday, October 25, 2010.

EXPECTED SERVICE IMPACTS

All Midtown Direct trains will originate and terminate at Hoboken Terminal, instead of New York. PATH trains are cross honoring NJ TRANSIT tickets and passes between Hoboken and 33rd Street. All Midtown Direct trains will make all local stops, resulting in longer travel times for some customers.

Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line trains are subject to delays in and out of New York during the afternoon and evening hours. Expect crowding conditions, as some trains will be combined to reduce congestion. Please allow 20-30 minutes of additional travel time.

Customers on the Main, Bergen County, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines are advised to travel via Hoboken Terminal, rather than via New York and Secaucus. Use PATH between 33rd Street and Hoboken Terminal.

Please allow additional travel time on all rail lines.

The LIRR is messed up too.

Any word on what equipment was harmed in the derailment?

One of the cars near the middle of the consist decided to go in a different direction than the front of the train, they stopped, but not before some major damage to 3rd rail & switching system.

- A

Any word on what equipment was harmed in the derailment?

If the train shown in the images from the newscast, then it was an ALP-44 with a set of single level comets.

I believe it was a Midtown Direct train that derailed IIRC being said among all the alerts I got about this whole situation....

EDIT: passing through Harrison a few minutes ago, there was a Comet V and a Comet II/IV trailer along with ALP-44 #4424 sitting on one of the sidings. I wonder if those were part of the train that derailed. Funny enough, saw 4424 at New Brunswick yesterday morning on its way to New York....

The switch in question is a multi-directional "ladder" switch that allows trains to move in more than just straight or off to one side, i believe it was a 3 way switch, there is only one other 3 way switch that i personally have seen on the :nec: and that was recently put back into service at union interlocking. That one is different, as the position 2 setting has it derail to ballast, where as the ladder switch in NYP all 3 settings take you to a platform track in NYP depending on which way it's set. The comet's wheel moved the switch as the train was passing over, something not uncommon, but can be very dangerous at high speeds, i believe the tracks through NYP have a 35 mph rating, though i'm not totally sure, so it wasnt horrible, it was just not a good place for such an event due to the bottleneck formed by the track layout at the switch. After the switch was changed, the wheels came off as they left the gauge on one side, causing huge damage to the switching equipment and the 3rd rail in the direction of travel. I don't think repairs are 100% complete, they will probably finish whatever they need doing this weekend.

This info is just what i've gathered from statements made by reliably accurate online sources, it could be wrong or i could have misunderstood what they were saying.

- A

Archived