Empire Service rerouted to/from due to Derailment at Penn Station

FamousNYLover

Look like Amtrak is back on Grand Central again!

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&p=1237608345018&cid=1248542828648

Empire Service Scheduled to Resume Tuesday Morning

Normal Operations Expected for Tomorrow Morning Rush Hour

October 25, 2010

9:30 pm EDT

Empire Service is expected to resume normal with operations in time for Tuesday morning's rush hour. Crews successfully re-railed the New Jerey Transit rail cars, involved in this morning's slow speed derailment just outside of Penn Station in New York, and are now working to repair the track damaged in this morning's incident. These repairs are expected to be completed overnight.

The incident has resulted in single track operations into and out of Penn Station, for much of the day and the temporary disruption of Empire Service between Penn Station and Croton Harmon.

Amtrak and Metro-North Railroad have coordinated a rail bridge between Grand Central Terminal in New York City and the Croton Harmon station, with alternate bus transportation also being provided between Grand Central and New York Penn Station.

Metro-North will cross honor Amtrak passenger's travel between Croton Harmon and Grand Central for the remainder of the evening.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

Hmm....although it was a possibility, I don't Amtrak ran into GCT yesterday.

This is the sentence to focus on: "Amtrak and Metro-North Railroad have coordinated a rail bridge between Grand Central Terminal in New York City and the Croton Harmon station, with alternate bus transportation also being provided between Grand Central and New York Penn Station."

What I believe happened was Amtrak passengers transferred to a Metro-North train at Croton-Harmon that will take them to Grand Central.

I think it would've clearly said that Amtrak trains ran into Grand Central....

I was just going to mention that they would likely have to do that to one train before a "Form D" plan was hatched. I'm sure all the pax and crews were mentally worn, just goes to show what can be done when railroads work together.

- A

• 1 month later...

Of course, Amtrak used to regularly operate from NYG pre Empire connection. And they have gone there since a few times due to service disruptions. What I am wondering is if Amtrak reciprocated....that is allow a MN Poughkeepsie diesel train to come into NYP if the line from Spuyten Duyvil to NYG was disrupted? I don't believe that has ever happenned. Does anyone know differently?

Of course, Amtrak used to regularly operate from NYG pre Empire connection. And they have gone there since a few times due to service disruptions. What I am wondering is if Amtrak reciprocated....that is allow a MN Poughkeepsie diesel train to come into NYP if the line from Spuyten Duyvil to NYG was disrupted? I don't believe that has ever happenned. Does anyone know differently?

Once in the early 90's an Amtrak FL9 led a MN train into Penn because of a track fire at Marble Hill but NEVER since then. Not enough room and the MN would only do that if sometime really bad happened.

Archived