New Electric Amtrak Engines

DJ MC

• 4 weeks later...
They look good. Hopefully they perform better then the AEM-7s and HHP-8s.

Both of those loco are over used with minimal main done in some facilities. For the abuse they take they got their monies worth especially with the aem 7

I would say: 70 new electrics to replace the aging AEM-7's and the UNRELIABLE HHP-8's!

Can someone expllain to me why HHP is unreliable? Keeps breaking down?

They are to sensitive , and are very expensive to maintain. They don't have the life span they thought it would , accella uses hhp but they take care of them and do not use them nearly as much as single hhp are . Also not many people know how to repair them.

Can someone expllain to me why HHP is unreliable? Keeps breaking down?

-655 and 662 are both in indefinite repair following pantograph trouble.

-Trains sway an awful lot. (Known as excessive yah) something the E60s suffered from and killed there top speed.

-Trucks prone to iceing and spot rust.

-I know a few HHP-8 have BADD flat wheels.

-MARC's HHP-8 barley run because there MDBF is god low.

-Point blank, they rushed to build them so they could be launched with the Acela.

-Acela has and always will be in better shape.

-655 and 662 are both in indefinite repair following pantograph trouble.

-Trains sway an awful lot. (Known as excessive yah) something the E60s suffered from and killed there top speed.

-Trucks prone to iceing and spot rust.

-I know a few HHP-8 have BADD flat wheels.

-MARC's HHP-8 barley run because there MDBF is god low.

-Point blank, they rushed to build them so they could be launched with the Acela.

-Acela has and always will be in better shape.

I have not worked with Amtrak for a few yrs but changing the pantograph takes 30 mins to 1 hr . Not sure if the issue they had involved it. Hitting its body. It's literally 4 bolts holding it down and the main lead and some grounds. Not hard at all to replace. I know hhp like to eat up agates forgot how to spell it. Around this time fall nearly every piece of rolling stock will get flatsfrom that film the leaves put on the rail

Acela train sets (and yes they are sets, they only come apart in the shop) do not use "locomotives" they use power cars.

The acela power cars are 6000 hp a piece, might sound like a lot, but the HHP8's are 8000 hp, AEM-7 and ALP-44 are 7000 hp, ALP-46 is 7100 hp and ALP-46a is like 7450 hp.

Ok so that's settled..

HHP8's to me personally are experimental mashup between a "power car" double ended design with electronic and other systems that were never properly tested before delivery. I myself have seen several of them need a power swap out after breaking down mid-run, as well as seeing trains with them come in like 45 minutes late for no other reason than they had trouble with the loco.

So that too, settled.

The AEM-7's run faster and more frequently than the GG1's ever did. Yes the GG1 was a masterpiece of american railroading technology, far ahead of its time, but the DL&W MU's lasted longer, mainly because they were MU not locomotive-trailer, stress spread out over the train vs one piece of equipment for moving the train. I've seen a single toaster pull the longest revenue train i've ever seen firsthand, 4 viewliners, lounge, diner, baggage and 6 amfleets. Had no trouble pulling away.

Settled that as well.

The new locomotives will be thoroughly tested and i look forward to seeing them.

As a side note & in case anyone was wondering, the alp-46a could probably haul about 20 amfleets no problem, the HHP8 with its issues is rarely handed a long or longer than usual consist as far as i've seen.

- A

Acela train sets (and yes they are sets, they only come apart in the shop) do not use "locomotives" they use power cars.

The acela power cars are 6000 hp a piece, might sound like a lot, but the HHP8's are 8000 hp, AEM-7 and ALP-44 are 7000 hp, ALP-46 is 7100 hp and ALP-46a is like 7450 hp.

Ok so that's settled..

HHP8's to me personally are experimental mashup between a "power car" double ended design with electronic and other systems that were never properly tested before delivery. I myself have seen several of them need a power swap out after breaking down mid-run, as well as seeing trains with them come in like 45 minutes late for no other reason than they had trouble with the loco.

So that too, settled.

The AEM-7's run faster and more frequently than the GG1's ever did. Yes the GG1 was a masterpiece of american railroading technology, far ahead of its time, but the DL&W MU's lasted longer, mainly because they were MU not locomotive-trailer, stress spread out over the train vs one piece of equipment for moving the train. I've seen a single toaster pull the longest revenue train i've ever seen firsthand, 4 viewliners, lounge, diner, baggage and 6 amfleets. Had no trouble pulling away.

Settled that as well.

The new locomotives will be thoroughly tested and i look forward to seeing them.

As a side note & in case anyone was wondering, the alp-46a could probably haul about 20 amfleets no problem, the HHP8 with its issues is rarely handed a long or longer than usual consist as far as i've seen.

- A

I've never heard any one in sunny side yard call hhp power cars even if its the correct name every one calls them hippos, the aem 7 or meat ball are called meat balls n have 10 k HP they out power the hhp . The reason they can pull more is because they are heavier. Don't sleep on the hhp because they use them on the circus train every yr they couple two n its good to go. The hhp its used well beyond reason and the lack of knowledge in repairing them has happerrd its success. Very few know how to repair them and most are in dc or Delaware

I didn't say the HHP8 was a power car, i said it was a mashup of the idea of a power car, which is what the aclea uses, .... with a double ended locomotive .... added to the mix was electronics that were never tested as a system thoroughly enough.

The AEM-7 do not have 10,000 horsepower, they are rated to 7000 hp at the rail head, HHP8 are rated 8000 HP at the rail head and so on.

The only american run locomotive that ever aproached 10,000 HP at the rail head was the single experimental freight only GM10B:

emd4976.jpg

As far as heavier, no, the traction control software on the HHP8's is whacked out, which is why they have problems with long trains, has nothing to do with their pulling power, has to do with wheel slip. The AEM-7's are much lighter, about 9 tons lighter i believe, and on a shorter "wheelbase". Longer locos are the future, they are better to distribute tractive effort of heavier units and at the same time easier on tracks by spreading the weight farther apart. This applies to freight as well as passenger locos.

The retirement of the AEM-7 fleet is due, they have served well and continue to serve well, but better to phase them out before they start really having issues like NJT's ALP-44 fleet. People who say the ALP-46a order is a wasteful extra have no idea how short of a time left a lot of the 44's have, all ready several have been retired for good due to various problems.

Like i said before, these (amtrak's) machines haul heavier trains faster and more frequently than the GG1 ever did, most of their time was spent NY-DC or out on the keystone line. If the GG1's were put on the demanding boston to DC schedule out of the box new, they would have lasted about 30 years i bet.

- A

Archived