Rail Condition at 59-Lex Going on the Whole Rush Hour

NX Express

Due to an ongoing rail condition at the 59th Street-Lexington Avenue Station:

There is no service on the (N) and (Q) trains between the Queensboro Plaza Station and the 57th Street-7th Avenue Station.

(R) train service will run on the (F) line from the 57th Street-7th Avenue Station to the 36th Street Station in both directions.

Customers are advised to use the (7) train for service to and from Queens.

Please expect delays in (N), (Q) and (R) train service.

Wonder what's up?

It's been going on for quite a while now.:eek:

I was at Canal Street (southbound) at around 6:15pm. The (N) took forever to arrive, and when I got on it with my friends it was already crowded The train proceeded at slower-than-normal speeds to 59 Street and then stalled at 86 Street for about 10 to 20 minutes because the terminal was full… In addition, I don't think (Q) trains were running. The announcements suggested Brighton passengers take the (N) to Atlantic Avenue–Pacific Street for a transfer to the (:P.

I was caught in it comming from work around 10. It was a broken rail in the Queens-bound 60 St tunnel. It was a total disaster. All NB trains had to check into the tower at Herald Sq which delayed everything even more. This is how they had things going...

(N) all trains to Lex-59 St and a special shuttle train from Queensboro Plz to Ditmars Blvd. The trains to Lex-59 St terminated on the Queens-bound track so they wouldn't delay downtown (R) trains (which was still running normal).

(Q) all trains to 57 St-7 Av. They all terminated on the downtown express track so they won't back up the (R) trains.

(R) express Times Sq to 57 St-7 Av then via (F) from 57 St-7 Av to 36 St, but there were a few going up 6 Av completely. I went down to the (F) platform at Herald Sq and a (R) pulled up.

And to add insult to injury, there was also a police investigation at 86 St on the (R) so the (R) trains at that time went to 59 St and there was a special (R) shuttle from 59 St to 86 St

I got caught up in that delay too. I got to Canal Street (northbound) at 4:30. No trains came for 15 minutes. Finally, a (Q) came. That (Q) crawled up the express tracks the whole way then stopped for about 10 minutes at 28th Street. The only explanation given was "a signal problem" at Lex and trains were just "running at slower speeds." I see that it only got much worse later on.

I was caught in it comming from work around 10. It was a broken rail in the Queens-bound 60 St tunnel. It was a total disaster. All NB trains had to check into the tower at Herald Sq which delayed everything even more. This is how they had things going...

(N) all trains to Lex-59 St and a special shuttle train from Queensboro Plz to Ditmars Blvd. The trains to Lex-59 St terminated on the Queens-bound track so they wouldn't delay downtown (R) trains (which was still running normal).

(Q) all trains to 57 St-7 Av. They all terminated on the downtown express track so they won't back up the (R) trains.

(R) express Times Sq to 57 St-7 Av then via (F) from 57 St-7 Av to 36 St, but there were a few going up 6 Av completely. I went down to the (F) platform at Herald Sq and a (R) pulled up.

And to add insult to injury, there was also a police investigation at 86 St on the (R) so the (R) trains at that time went to 59 St and there was a special (R) shuttle from 59 St to 86 St

Like this?

Possible_Broadway_Sixth_Avenue_Second_Avenue_and_Queens_Boulevard_Service_Patterns_2.png

las nite there were 4 broken rails.....1 at 5th ave nd lex..........2 in the tube north bound and 1 in the tube south bound ! Freakin crazy....and the broken rail from this thread was sb in the 60th st tube as well

The two broken rail in the 60th St tube were described to me as "catastrophic" defects and they were discovered around 04:45-05:00 by track inspectors. I think the TA will have a serious bone to pick with the people at Sperry.

I got caught in this mess on Monday too. At Lex-59th the platform was just packed completely. The stairways were practically at a standstill. By the time everyone coming down the stairs realized that there were no trains going to Queens they went back up and the (6) became a mess too. 51st St. and Grand Central on the (E)(M)(7) were packed beyond belief too. I got on the 3rd (7) train home, but I realized I could've just left 59th St. for the (F)...

Archived